All member reviews for A Christmas Carol (1984)

Bleak but solid adaptation of Dickens' classic.

Educator Written byOhBrother December 24, 2013

Great Movie!

Great movie, we have watched it every year since I was a little kid. I am 20 now and still enjoy watching this every Christmas Eve with my family. There is one curse word used about sixteen minutes into the movie. Not bad for an 80s movie. Jacob Marley is awesome.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 9 year old Written byAuntieMom December 28, 2010
Absolutely love this movie!!
Kid, 7 years old December 4, 2012

Only watch this if your 9 or older because its a little confusing and scary
Kid, 9 years old January 28, 2011
boring...........
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2009

Not Scary, but boring

hated this movie, had 2 watch it in school... i watched the first 45 minutes... my teacher turned it off because nobody wanted to watch it.
Adult Written byCOLLYHEHE December 23, 2015

scaey

marley
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Enjoy this Christmas Carol--Just Grab a Blanket and Teddy First

My dad introduced this film to me at a young age, and we've been watching it every year for 20 years. Scrooge's redemption makes for a great story; his reformed self, the kind Cratchits, the cheerful Fred, and others, make for great role models. The messages they bring are wonderful, as well. The film has a definite Renaissance feel that adds to its charm and faithfulness to the original story. If your kids are like me, they will be enchanted by the music and eager to add classics like "The Sussex Carol" and "I Saw Three Ships" to their Christmas repetoire. Cautions: it's a ghost story, and things get bleaker the further we go. (Past is pretty harmless; Present less so; Future is downright creepy). Be aware of a scene built around two zombie-like children, lots of lightning and creepy metallic wails, and semi-frequent pipe organ blasts in early scenes. Also be aware that Marley lets out a couple of blood-curdling screams and looks very foreboding. One scene features a homeless family; this warrants discussion of Scrooge's reaction, as well as what ours should be. One other note: Tiny Tim is an archetype/stereotype of disability for Dickensian novels. This is okay for the time period, but families should, in my opinion, discuss what's true and not true where this is concerned, as well as that people with disabilities, poor people, etc. are not a "surplus." Overall, the film's too chilly for your Tiny Tims and Tessies. But for everyone else, it's a beautiful, thought-provoking flick and the version I recommend as most faithful to Dickens, 100%.
Kid, 10 years old November 8, 2012

Good movie for older kids

I love this movie and so does my sister. When I first Saw "a Christmas carol" I got really scared of Jacob Marley, so I think if you are under the age of 9 you should not watch it. Now that I am 10 years old I am not scared anymore. ALERT: this movie will give you very happy dreams about rainbows!
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2011
hate it not a good movie
Kid, 9 years old January 14, 2011
it is nice but some parts are dirty and scary
Kid, 10 years old January 7, 2011

good for family

i liked this movie but it was not the best movie i have seen
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2011

a christmas carol

its about a grumpy old man called mr scrooge that has a dream about ghosts that teach him to be nice and caeing.
Kid, 9 years old December 31, 2010

BETTER THEN DISNEYS

Wow this is alot better then disneys i do respect disneys movies but there version was plain creepy,anyway this version is alot better and done well plus it has people in it not CG charcters but this great,i think this well based on the book. and fine for 7+
Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2010

Just Like the Original Book!

I think it really captures the Dickens tale. The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come and the ghost of Marley are very creepy, but the movie is not scary and sends a good message about Christmas being friendly, generous, and cheerful.