All member reviews for A Christmas Story

Wonderful antidote to cutesy holiday tales; some swearing.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJazzerGyrl December 16, 2009

Screen it before your kids do

I know my husband loves this movie, but I can't stand it at all. As a parent, I like it even less. The language is terrible for kids to see, it makes children think Santa does not get you what you want-and he is portrayed as being really nasty in this movie at the mall. The father feeling up a sexy leg lamp is something little ones just simply would not get. All in all, I think that you have to decide on how mature your child is before you watch this movie. It also is really watered down when they run it on television, so if you buy it on DVD, make sure you screen it before showing your kids, I think you will be shocked at the content the networks leave out.
Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2010

Great Movie For 10 and Up

This is such a great movie and for my family it is a classic. We are watching right now on Christmas. It is not ok for younger kids because they say bad words and there is the leg lamp of course.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicgirl1797 December 31, 2009

good movie, but some stuff maybe to inappropriate for younger kids

i think this movie is really hilarious, but i think that the language is too strong for elementery school kids. even though a bunch of the language was hard to make out, some words were clear to me. it also references the f words, even though it is not described.
Kid, 8 years old December 25, 2010

love it I thin you should watch it
Adult Written byDangerWoman December 2, 2009

A Christmas Story: A Christmas Classic Of the 20th Century!

I feel that, after 26 years, that this movie is worthy of being one of the great holiday movies of the 20th Century! I should also mention that there are some examples of big bullies and adults who did NOT understand Ralphie's wish and quest to get what he really wanted in the first place. But, Ralphie fought back and on Christmas Day, he did get what he really wanted!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... December 10, 2009

Not for children

I rented the movie so it was not edited by cable. The language used by the children were very bad one would call his friend Ralphie a smart ass, a few times and Ralphie said he used the F word instead of the Fuuu that replaced it. Not really for children and too much innuendo for tweens. Watch it on cable not rented version. But most children don't get the humor so they don't really like it anyway.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCedricDoodlehopper December 31, 2010

Classic Christmas Film

This is a good movie. It has some bad language, although there is much more language that is implied than actually said (including the f-word, which just sounds like "fudge"). They also say a*s and b***h and a few other bad words.
Adult Written bySallyP December 30, 2008

Funny for adults and teens, but language is terrible for younger kids

I have watched this movie many times, and think it's really funny. I thought my 9-year old would like it this year, so we started to watch it, and I had apparently forgotten how bad the language is! MUCH more swearing that you would typically see in a PG or even PG13 movie these days... My daughter also really hated the bullying. We didn't finish watching the movie... we'll probably try again when she's about 12!
Kid, 9 years old December 13, 2009

ok movie but way too many cusses out of a lil kid. lil kid drops the f bomb in front of dad but movie changed the word to fudge so it wasnt heard although they told you he said it. gets secret decoder pen from ovaltine and gets a message, decodes it, finds out its an advertisement and says son of a b****
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2011

A Christmas Story

Definitely a fun family film, and a classic.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byrunner26 December 20, 2010

Wait for your teenager.

A great movie. Not appropriate for kids. CSM reviewer is off: Consumerism includes, Ovaltine and many other items Lots of sexual stuff Parents are portraied as idiots and use bad language that gets beeped out.
Adult Written byBa movie girl April 2, 2011

its a great family movie

i love a christmas story it has a couple of scary scenes and it has just a little to much violence for kids to watch i love this movie though and it is funny and hilarious and Melinda Dillion did a great job as playing the mom and so did Darren Mcgavin playing as the dad and the leg lamp part was hilarious so was the part when santa pushed ralphie down the slide backwards and when flick put his tongue on the flag pole and when ralphie was inside the pink bunny suit to me i think the movie was very good the movie is a classic and it does have a lot of profanity i would recommened a christmas movie if u are looking for a great christmas movie then watch a chritsmas story and the movie it self is a defiently family movie to watch over and over again it just had some language
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2011

ha ha

cool like it but they say son of a b***h but who cares it's funny
Adult Written bybrennafly April 9, 2008

Love this movie!

I watch this movie every Christmas! It is a classic at my house. It is so funny, and the whole family can watch it together. There is some language, the boy says "fudge" instead of the f word, and the father swears. There is a fistfight between too boys , and that is about all of the violence. I absolutely love this movie.
Adult Written bysweetpanda14 January 15, 2011

Very Funny

Despite the profanity , A Christmas Story is very funny and a classic! Its about an eight year old boy named Ralphie who wishes one thing for Christmas : A Red Ryder BB Gun. My favorite parts were when Ralphie tells Santa Claus what he wanted for Christmas and the end. Overall I would recommend this movie.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written bytuckers mom January 13, 2011

A Christmas Story

This is a great classic holiday movie. love the traditions - the christmas turkey, getting a tree on christmas eve, visiting santa. it does have some language but I love the timelessness of Ralphie really, really wanting that certain toy for Christmas.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHunterJumper13 December 23, 2010

Perfect for all ages, listen to a kid

This is a classic. I've been watching this with my faimily for as long as I can remember. Honestly, if your kid can't handel the language in it, how on earth are they going to survive the real world? I mean really, this movie is hilarious. The bullying, that's funny too, and I mean really: It's a good message for kids I guess, because it tells them to toughen up... Look at all the kids that are murdering themselves because someone called them a "mean name" online? This is a terrific movie for kids. And I have to ask SCHMEEGLE98, I didn't understand your comment about homeschoolers...
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2011

Obviously not my fave. Ralphie uses the F-Bomb in one part, and everyone seems to have said @$$, b----, d---, and even sh*t. There's too many bad words, and if you don't like people cussing in real life, don't see a movie that contains it either.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 25, 2011

A Bit Vulgar

There is somewhat a lot of bad content in such PG movie. I think it should be PG-13 for cussing. The bad content includes some sexual themes such as the leg lamp and some violence such as Ralphie's shooting scene at the beginning of the movie. Most of the bad content can be included in a PG movie, but is still a bit vulgar.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byjeannehayes December 25, 2009

Parents beware, preview this one first

I have never been so incented to post a review a movie until we turned this one off half way through. The CSM reviewer was so off on this one, it's shameful. The language is completely inappropriate, and the sexual innuendos were offensive for a supposed "classic" Christmas holiday movie. I don't think I could in good conscience recommend this movie even for older children as I feel it a waste of time, the material is so poorly treated.