All parent member reviews for A Christmas Story

Parent Written byaprilalison November 23, 2014

Rated in the 1980s when things were lax

The language in this movie would garner a PG-13 rating today. Unfortunately it was rated in the 80s when the rating system was very lax and even nudity was shown in some PGs.
Parent Written bysteph09877 September 30, 2013

A GREAT MOVIE

A CHRISTMAS STORY 1ST ONE THE 80S ONE IS BETTER,:)AND I HOPE NETFLIX WILL HAVE THE MOVIE ON INSTANT,:)
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Merry, if Somewhat Spiked, Christmas

It's not cutesy. It's not sweet. But this film is a classic. Amidst all the hijinks, the true story here is of a little boy's desire to be a man and grow close to his dad (the one who understands about the treasured Red Ryder rifle and gives it to his son). Several hilarious anecdotes hearken back to a time of simpler childhoods; as soon as you stop laughing, the next funny part hits. As other reviewers note, be aware of swearing, both by adults and children. (Dad is more prone to speak in profanitype gibberish, but he lets fly a few times). The "queen mother" of dirty words is replaced with "fudge," but we all know what it means, and other swear words don't get the sugar treatment. One other caveat involves a decidedly unfriendly Santa Claus and cranky elves. Keep your youngest kids away, and watch with your other single-digit and preteen tikes.
Parent Written bytreat02 December 26, 2012

A very good, funny movie!

This is a very good movie, and I think a lot of ages can watch it. Ralph's "adult self" is narrating things as himself is showed on camera. His dad says a whole lot of swear words, SPOILER***** and he does himself at a scene when the family's car breaks down at getting a Christmas tree. Also, when Ralph SPOILER**** beats up the bully, his little brother (this is kind of nice) starts crying and says: "Daddy's going to kill Ralphy!" When the father SPOILER gets a women's-leg lamp Ralph's adult self says "sex" which might not be appealing. After all of that, this is a wonderful movie!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydrpepper700 September 30, 2012

Cute movie

This movie was on all Christmas season at my house, being one of my mother's favorites. I liked it when I was little, and recall not understanding the "Fudge" part, and trying to figure out what he'd actually said. The little brother in this movie still reminds me so much of my little sister. The 5 year old in our family will watch it on and off, but is pretty much uninterested. She does like the "mean santa" and we explained to her that wasn't real santa, and the man was just pretending to be funny for the movie, which she accepted. The 12 year old likes the movie too, but has seen it so many times that I think it's getting old. Great movie over all, as long as your child can understand it.
Adult Written byjillianlovescats November 1, 2011

A Christmas Story Rocks!

Great Movie!
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written bytuckers mom January 13, 2011

A Christmas Story

This is a great classic holiday movie. love the traditions - the christmas turkey, getting a tree on christmas eve, visiting santa. it does have some language but I love the timelessness of Ralphie really, really wanting that certain toy for Christmas.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byproud mamma December 18, 2009
Adult Written byDangerWoman December 2, 2009

A Christmas Story: A Christmas Classic Of the 20th Century!

I feel that, after 26 years, that this movie is worthy of being one of the great holiday movies of the 20th Century! I should also mention that there are some examples of big bullies and adults who did NOT understand Ralphie's wish and quest to get what he really wanted in the first place. But, Ralphie fought back and on Christmas Day, he did get what he really wanted!
Adult Written byte_quiero_mas April 9, 2008

a holiday classic

i first saw this movie when i was 8 years old and i loved it! it's the perfect mix of humor for both adults and kids. the kids are going to watch this every christmas
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Really Good American Family Comedy

Adult Written byasatz3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymusiclvr248 April 9, 2008

Annual Holiday Favorite

This is one movie that we watch every holiday season. It is a great family movie; where parents (who can remember how it was back then) can talk about what it was like to listen to shows on the radio, go to christmas tree lots that only had christmas trees, etc... yes, there are references to some inappropriate language, but parents can use that opportunity to discuss better options. Again, this is a timeless movie to watch every Christmas season!
Adult Written bymiller911 April 9, 2008