All member reviews for A Christmas Story

Wonderful antidote to cutesy holiday tales; some swearing.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byjadashef December 3, 2012

Cute, fun movie, but not for younger kids.

It is a fun movie that provides me a trip down memory lane. However, I have an 11 year old son and we won't let him watch it yet due to the language and the leg lamp scene. I just can't justify my son watching another boy caress the lamp and talk about the "glowing sex" coming from the window. I don't see the need for that. I would consider letting him watch it if we could skip that particular part. Plus, I'm also not a fan of this being yet another movie that paints the father in the home as an idiot. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but if I'm going to bring entertainment into my home for my children, I want something that is a bit more tolerable.
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2011

stupid

this movie is iconic, but stupid.
Teen, 14 years old Written bya10d38 December 15, 2011

Stupid, Crude...Don't waste your time!

I honestly think it is a really stupid movie. We watched it in my science class today and I had actully never seen it before because it looked stupid, and well i watched it today and my theory proved to be right. I don;'t see how its 8 and up there is a lot of cuss words and mainly from kids!!! and the movie dont really even make sense. and also Ralphie (main character ) calls this crude nasty looking leg lamp that his father won, it is a womans leg and has the tip of her butt on it, but anyways he calls it electric sex? what the crap? but anyway as you can see its so not worth your time and money.
Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2009

Dumb!!!!!!

The dumbest movie in the world
Teen, 17 years old Written bySlipknotsarah July 19, 2009

A great family movie

I love this movie. I watch it every year wih my family. Its a great family movie. It refers to the f word, but little kids wont really get that part, and middle school kids will think that parts hillarious. Again I love a christmas story, and I think you need to see it.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this movie.

My family and I decided to watch this movie around Christmastime. Everyone said it was a "classic" and a "great movie", so I was excited. However, I was disappointed. I was bored with the movie the moment I saw it, sorry. -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2012

For adults

I watch it every chirstmas and it swears over and over. My dad even has the dvd. prefect for adults but not for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfinalfear45 April 9, 2008

its great but................

I love this movie a lot, its fun, its great but the profanity is just not suitable for any one so be careful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byScreennameGirl April 21, 2013

Fun Family Movie

This is a really funny and hilarious family movie! It will always be one of my favorites. Violence: There are bullies who torment Ralphie and his friends. The bully ends up with a bloody nose. Sexy Stuff: Ralphie's father gets a lamp that looks like a woman's leg in fishnet stockings and high heels. He's attracted to it and rubs it when his wife isn't looking. Language: A big deal is made when it shows Ralphie saying "Oh, Fudge!". Later he says, "Only I didn't say fudge." Otherwise, I liked this movie! It gets a 4/5 easily.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineshadowrose December 30, 2011

good may ruin your kids belif in Santa

Violence :the whole movie reviles around a gun sex: a leg lamp Language: mostly jiber-jabber that cant be made out NOTE: Santa and his elves are portrayed as mean and after they go to bed his mom looks at his dad and say "ok lets get them " they are talking about presents.
Adult Written bySicignano April 9, 2008

A "classic" that I only recently discovered myself.

I only recently discovered this gem last year when I was 39. I finally watched it after having friends look at me incredulously when I get the joke shooting my eye out and I had never even heard of a Red Ryder air rifle. So this year, I made sure that watched it with my kids. We all loved it. So much good stuff and it's nice to see a film isn't worried about being politically correct about everything. It's fun right from the start, 'til the end. Another movie that I like is the recent "Elf" with Will Farrell, and I'm telling you this because I just learned that the elf that is up at the North Pole who gets frustated with Buddy (Farrell's elf character) is actually Peter Billingsley, who played Ralphie in A Christmas Story. Have fun!
Parent Written bysteph09877 September 30, 2013

A GREAT MOVIE

A CHRISTMAS STORY 1ST ONE THE 80S ONE IS BETTER,:)AND I HOPE NETFLIX WILL HAVE THE MOVIE ON INSTANT,:)
Teen, 15 years old Written by224luke March 25, 2013

Great for kids

Great movie but a little bit of cusing
Parent Written bysevendad December 12, 2011

Come on people.......

It popped in to my head to watch it as a family so I watched it, then came here as I always do to see what others are thinking. Here's my thought, this movie is awesome, there are some swears, and some things happen that are rough. Here's the deal though, bullying happens and will always happen as long as anyone is different from someone else, coddling all kids isn't the answer. If kids can't tell the difference between the words they should use and not, how will they ever make a real Judgement call. The leg lamp, really....its a lamp made of a mannequin leg. I feel like sometimes people helicopter parent too much, and things like this movie will help the softer kids if there parents would be good enough to stop cementing them fromm everything.
Adult Written bymusiclvr248 April 9, 2008

Annual Holiday Favorite

This is one movie that we watch every holiday season. It is a great family movie; where parents (who can remember how it was back then) can talk about what it was like to listen to shows on the radio, go to christmas tree lots that only had christmas trees, etc... yes, there are references to some inappropriate language, but parents can use that opportunity to discuss better options. Again, this is a timeless movie to watch every Christmas season!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

ok...

well um this movie is ok its swears and kids act horrible. not for kids under 7
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjordynannee February 21, 2015

It's a tradition in my to watch A Christmas Story on Christmas or Christmas break.There is some swearing.I think it would be fine for any child to watch it if they know not to repeat it.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2015

Cussing Everywhere!

I loved the movie personally, but sensitive kids won't like the language or the violence and scariness. Also, the soap to the mouth, and the bullies, I don't know if immature 10 year olds will like this. Know your 10 year old well, young parent.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2014

Suggestive Material

There is the leg lamp that in a way is almost seductive since all the men who see it like it but the women and young children don't. In one scene, Ralphie and his brother run upstairs on Christmas eve and the old man says "Let's go get them" to the mom, indicating the presents and that Santa is not real. There several hints throughout that Santa is not real but some of them will go over kid's heads.
Parent Written bytildahat December 14, 2014

Not for kids

I think the review who said this is not a movie for kids, it's an adult movie about childhood got it right. My 8 and 10 year old were quite disturbed by it. Ralphie imagines shooting and killing "bad guys", the scene where Ralphie beats up the bully was very upsetting to them, and also the scene with the mean department store elves and Santa. My kids are both sensitive and one has some developmental issues, so other kids might handle it better, but watch it first if you haven't seen it in a while to make your own judgment. Also, I had only seen in on TV, edited. The language is not really appropriate for younger kids.