All member reviews for A Christmas Story

Wonderful antidote to cutesy holiday tales; some swearing.

Parent Written bysteph09877 September 30, 2013

A GREAT MOVIE

A CHRISTMAS STORY 1ST ONE THE 80S ONE IS BETTER,:)AND I HOPE NETFLIX WILL HAVE THE MOVIE ON INSTANT,:)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTurtlelover70 July 20, 2013

Great movie

Cussing
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 18, 2013

Love It

I watch this every year at christmas time!
Teen, 15 years old Written byScreennameGirl April 21, 2013

Fun Family Movie

This is a really funny and hilarious family movie! It will always be one of my favorites. Violence: There are bullies who torment Ralphie and his friends. The bully ends up with a bloody nose. Sexy Stuff: Ralphie's father gets a lamp that looks like a woman's leg in fishnet stockings and high heels. He's attracted to it and rubs it when his wife isn't looking. Language: A big deal is made when it shows Ralphie saying "Oh, Fudge!". Later he says, "Only I didn't say fudge." Otherwise, I liked this movie! It gets a 4/5 easily.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylightingzackattack April 16, 2013

v

just a little language dont all americans curse
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 1, 2013

Timeless Christmas classic still holds up

This movie never fails to disappoint. It's cheerful, joyful, nostalgic, gleeful, and wickedly humorous. The language and jokes are surprisingly crass for its time, which is fairly realistic for a group of kids in upper elementary school who have nothing better to do than to lick flagpoles (you know, that sounds kind of wrong). The performances are all perfect, especially from Peter Billingsley, who infuses just the right amount of childish spirit into his character, Ralphie. Darren McGavin's performance as The Old Man is one of the most memorable performances ever put on film, and he has some very good chemistry with Melinda Dillon, who is sweet and sincere as the mother. I'm just going to cut my review short here, because there's nothing else I can say about this movie that hasn't been said before. What can I say? It's an original, traditional, one-hundred-percent, red-blooded, two-fisted, all-American Christmas classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written by224luke March 25, 2013

Great for kids

Great movie but a little bit of cusing
Kid, 9 years old March 3, 2013

Awesome

The positive message is not to lie. There is tons of cussing. Lighten up people... so what it has cussing. Kids know it isn't a good word. So make sure they don't say it! I have watched it since I was little on the 24 hour marathon on TBS every Christmas! My brother is six and he watches it.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Merry, if Somewhat Spiked, Christmas

It's not cutesy. It's not sweet. But this film is a classic. Amidst all the hijinks, the true story here is of a little boy's desire to be a man and grow close to his dad (the one who understands about the treasured Red Ryder rifle and gives it to his son). Several hilarious anecdotes hearken back to a time of simpler childhoods; as soon as you stop laughing, the next funny part hits. As other reviewers note, be aware of swearing, both by adults and children. (Dad is more prone to speak in profanitype gibberish, but he lets fly a few times). The "queen mother" of dirty words is replaced with "fudge," but we all know what it means, and other swear words don't get the sugar treatment. One other caveat involves a decidedly unfriendly Santa Claus and cranky elves. Keep your youngest kids away, and watch with your other single-digit and preteen tikes.
Parent Written bytreat02 December 26, 2012

A very good, funny movie!

This is a very good movie, and I think a lot of ages can watch it. Ralph's "adult self" is narrating things as himself is showed on camera. His dad says a whole lot of swear words, SPOILER***** and he does himself at a scene when the family's car breaks down at getting a Christmas tree. Also, when Ralph SPOILER**** beats up the bully, his little brother (this is kind of nice) starts crying and says: "Daddy's going to kill Ralphy!" When the father SPOILER gets a women's-leg lamp Ralph's adult self says "sex" which might not be appealing. After all of that, this is a wonderful movie!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydrpepper700 September 30, 2012

Cute movie

This movie was on all Christmas season at my house, being one of my mother's favorites. I liked it when I was little, and recall not understanding the "Fudge" part, and trying to figure out what he'd actually said. The little brother in this movie still reminds me so much of my little sister. The 5 year old in our family will watch it on and off, but is pretty much uninterested. She does like the "mean santa" and we explained to her that wasn't real santa, and the man was just pretending to be funny for the movie, which she accepted. The 12 year old likes the movie too, but has seen it so many times that I think it's getting old. Great movie over all, as long as your child can understand it.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this movie.

My family and I decided to watch this movie around Christmastime. Everyone said it was a "classic" and a "great movie", so I was excited. However, I was disappointed. I was bored with the movie the moment I saw it, sorry. -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 April 15, 2012

heartwarming, classic Christmas tale is funny but silly

a perfectly made movie is funny, pleasent fun for everyone. there is constant talk of "shooting your eye out" and lots of comedic violence.
Kid, 9 years old April 6, 2012

Really?

I think this movie is reallllllly funny!!!!
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2012

For adults

I watch it every chirstmas and it swears over and over. My dad even has the dvd. prefect for adults but not for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineshadowrose December 30, 2011

good may ruin your kids belif in Santa

Violence :the whole movie reviles around a gun sex: a leg lamp Language: mostly jiber-jabber that cant be made out NOTE: Santa and his elves are portrayed as mean and after they go to bed his mom looks at his dad and say "ok lets get them " they are talking about presents.
Kid, 10 years old December 24, 2011

Good family movie for Christmas

Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2011

stupid

this movie is iconic, but stupid.
Teen, 14 years old Written bya10d38 December 15, 2011

Stupid, Crude...Don't waste your time!

I honestly think it is a really stupid movie. We watched it in my science class today and I had actully never seen it before because it looked stupid, and well i watched it today and my theory proved to be right. I don;'t see how its 8 and up there is a lot of cuss words and mainly from kids!!! and the movie dont really even make sense. and also Ralphie (main character ) calls this crude nasty looking leg lamp that his father won, it is a womans leg and has the tip of her butt on it, but anyways he calls it electric sex? what the crap? but anyway as you can see its so not worth your time and money.
Kid, 10 years old December 4, 2011

a christmas story review

I think this is a great movie.