All member reviews for A Christmas Story

Wonderful antidote to cutesy holiday tales; some swearing.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJazzerGyrl December 16, 2009

Screen it before your kids do

I know my husband loves this movie, but I can't stand it at all. As a parent, I like it even less. The language is terrible for kids to see, it makes children think Santa does not get you what you want-and he is portrayed as being really nasty in this movie at the mall. The father feeling up a sexy leg lamp is something little ones just simply would not get. All in all, I think that you have to decide on how mature your child is before you watch this movie. It also is really watered down when they run it on television, so if you buy it on DVD, make sure you screen it before showing your kids, I think you will be shocked at the content the networks leave out.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicgirl1797 December 31, 2009

good movie, but some stuff maybe to inappropriate for younger kids

i think this movie is really hilarious, but i think that the language is too strong for elementery school kids. even though a bunch of the language was hard to make out, some words were clear to me. it also references the f words, even though it is not described.
Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2010

Great Movie For 10 and Up

This is such a great movie and for my family it is a classic. We are watching right now on Christmas. It is not ok for younger kids because they say bad words and there is the leg lamp of course.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byjeannehayes December 25, 2009

Parents beware, preview this one first

I have never been so incented to post a review a movie until we turned this one off half way through. The CSM reviewer was so off on this one, it's shameful. The language is completely inappropriate, and the sexual innuendos were offensive for a supposed "classic" Christmas holiday movie. I don't think I could in good conscience recommend this movie even for older children as I feel it a waste of time, the material is so poorly treated.
Adult Written bySallyP December 30, 2008

Funny for adults and teens, but language is terrible for younger kids

I have watched this movie many times, and think it's really funny. I thought my 9-year old would like it this year, so we started to watch it, and I had apparently forgotten how bad the language is! MUCH more swearing that you would typically see in a PG or even PG13 movie these days... My daughter also really hated the bullying. We didn't finish watching the movie... we'll probably try again when she's about 12!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... December 10, 2009

Not for children

I rented the movie so it was not edited by cable. The language used by the children were very bad one would call his friend Ralphie a smart ass, a few times and Ralphie said he used the F word instead of the Fuuu that replaced it. Not really for children and too much innuendo for tweens. Watch it on cable not rented version. But most children don't get the humor so they don't really like it anyway.
Parent Written bysevendad December 12, 2011

Come on people.......

It popped in to my head to watch it as a family so I watched it, then came here as I always do to see what others are thinking. Here's my thought, this movie is awesome, there are some swears, and some things happen that are rough. Here's the deal though, bullying happens and will always happen as long as anyone is different from someone else, coddling all kids isn't the answer. If kids can't tell the difference between the words they should use and not, how will they ever make a real Judgement call. The leg lamp, really....its a lamp made of a mannequin leg. I feel like sometimes people helicopter parent too much, and things like this movie will help the softer kids if there parents would be good enough to stop cementing them fromm everything.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCedricDoodlehopper December 31, 2010

Classic Christmas Film

This is a good movie. It has some bad language, although there is much more language that is implied than actually said (including the f-word, which just sounds like "fudge"). They also say a*s and b***h and a few other bad words.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHunterJumper13 December 23, 2010

Perfect for all ages, listen to a kid

This is a classic. I've been watching this with my faimily for as long as I can remember. Honestly, if your kid can't handel the language in it, how on earth are they going to survive the real world? I mean really, this movie is hilarious. The bullying, that's funny too, and I mean really: It's a good message for kids I guess, because it tells them to toughen up... Look at all the kids that are murdering themselves because someone called them a "mean name" online? This is a terrific movie for kids. And I have to ask SCHMEEGLE98, I didn't understand your comment about homeschoolers...
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 25, 2011

A Bit Vulgar

There is somewhat a lot of bad content in such PG movie. I think it should be PG-13 for cussing. The bad content includes some sexual themes such as the leg lamp and some violence such as Ralphie's shooting scene at the beginning of the movie. Most of the bad content can be included in a PG movie, but is still a bit vulgar.
Adult Written bySicignano April 9, 2008

A "classic" that I only recently discovered myself.

I only recently discovered this gem last year when I was 39. I finally watched it after having friends look at me incredulously when I get the joke shooting my eye out and I had never even heard of a Red Ryder air rifle. So this year, I made sure that watched it with my kids. We all loved it. So much good stuff and it's nice to see a film isn't worried about being politically correct about everything. It's fun right from the start, 'til the end. Another movie that I like is the recent "Elf" with Will Farrell, and I'm telling you this because I just learned that the elf that is up at the North Pole who gets frustated with Buddy (Farrell's elf character) is actually Peter Billingsley, who played Ralphie in A Christmas Story. Have fun!
Adult Written byLowe's man June 23, 2014

universal childhood themes

Many people will recall their own childhoods, when there was one thing that they wanted for Christmas more than anything else, hence making them identify with Ralphie. They will also identify with Ralphie in the scene on Christmas morning, when he was embarassed to be seen in the Easter bunny outfit that Aunt Clara gave him, as we've all gotten gifts that we not only disliked but were embarassed to be seen with. Viewers will guess that Aunt Clara was out of touch. Many of us have just such a relative somewhere in our families. If you think about it, the mother was out of touch too, especially with the way she bundled Randy up. The father was more in tune to the wants and needs of his boys. Most viewers, if asked who the better parent was in the movie, will say the father. The only drawback for younger children, aside from the sanitized language, is the Higbee's Santa Claus and one of the elves, who both provided poor customer service. (Hopefully management eventually found out and fired them.)
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byjadashef December 3, 2012

Cute, fun movie, but not for younger kids.

It is a fun movie that provides me a trip down memory lane. However, I have an 11 year old son and we won't let him watch it yet due to the language and the leg lamp scene. I just can't justify my son watching another boy caress the lamp and talk about the "glowing sex" coming from the window. I don't see the need for that. I would consider letting him watch it if we could skip that particular part. Plus, I'm also not a fan of this being yet another movie that paints the father in the home as an idiot. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but if I'm going to bring entertainment into my home for my children, I want something that is a bit more tolerable.
Adult Written byrationalmind December 8, 2011

Skip this classic

CSM review is off. I usually am right with them but not on this one. Just because it's an older movie and a holiday classic doesn't mean we should sit our 7 and 8 year olds down to watch. If this movie would have come out this year I think parents would be outraged with the lamp and the swearing. Oh and the parenting is so crazy. My husband didn't share my views on this classic and felt as though we were depriving our boys so we put it on and even he was shocked at how horrible the movie was we didn't get to far with the kids in the room.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh November 17, 2011

Too sophisticated for little kids, but perfect for tweens

Some reviewers here have noted the few mild profanities and hint of sexuality as making this film inappropriate for young children. Well, that's your call, but what really makes this film off limits for the pre-school set is its sophistication. This is not a children's movie. It's a movie about childhood for adults. It's full of nostalgia and the little traumas that shake a pre-teen's world to its foundation yet are barely noticed by adults. Watching this movie will make you remember what it was like to be a kid. If your kids -- say, smart 8-year-olds and up -- watch this movie, it will make them realize childhood is a universal, and temporary, condition. That's a bit of jolt to any kid, but this movie, with its subtle wisdom, eases that message in gently between the laughs. -- mm
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2011

Obviously not my fave. Ralphie uses the F-Bomb in one part, and everyone seems to have said @$$, b----, d---, and even sh*t. There's too many bad words, and if you don't like people cussing in real life, don't see a movie that contains it either.
Adult Written byBa movie girl April 2, 2011

its a great family movie

i love a christmas story it has a couple of scary scenes and it has just a little to much violence for kids to watch i love this movie though and it is funny and hilarious and Melinda Dillion did a great job as playing the mom and so did Darren Mcgavin playing as the dad and the leg lamp part was hilarious so was the part when santa pushed ralphie down the slide backwards and when flick put his tongue on the flag pole and when ralphie was inside the pink bunny suit to me i think the movie was very good the movie is a classic and it does have a lot of profanity i would recommened a christmas movie if u are looking for a great christmas movie then watch a chritsmas story and the movie it self is a defiently family movie to watch over and over again it just had some language
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2011

A Christmas Story

Definitely a fun family film, and a classic.
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2011

ha ha

cool like it but they say son of a b***h but who cares it's funny
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byrunner26 December 20, 2010

Wait for your teenager.

A great movie. Not appropriate for kids. CSM reviewer is off: Consumerism includes, Ovaltine and many other items Lots of sexual stuff Parents are portraied as idiots and use bad language that gets beeped out.