All member reviews for A Clockwork Orange

Teen, 17 years old Written byyourfunny August 15, 2011

Oh My

Well, this movie is definetly not as bad as people say it is. It's a classic, a masterpiece, and actually has some lessons that can be learned. The violence is pretty tame.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEntropy April 9, 2010

Fantastic, Original, Controversial, NOT FOR KIDS.

This is probably the most graphical, and most twisted film I have seen. At the same time. It is so incredibly well done, it simply cannot be ignored. This film weaves an interesting, terrifying, and shockingly graphic tale. There are almost no good role models, nearly all main characters engage in horrible, immoral, violent, and sexual behavior. This movie is filled with merciless brutality, often inflicted upon the innocent. The violence includes, but is not limited to: Multiple accounts of very graphic on-screen rape, many extremely violent beatings and murders, attempted suicide, torture, police brutality, and other such horrible acts. There is also EXTREMELY Graphic On-Screen Sexual Content. Including, full female nudity, and male nudity, and several scenes in which the sex is almost entirely visible. Including the afore mentioned Rape. Just to be able to grasp some idea of what I am talking about, I might mention that this film was originally rated X. Surprisingly NO foul language in this film whatsoever. In fact, in replacement of the usual insulting words, very colorful and seemingly sophisticated phrases are used. Much ado about drugs, main characters drink drugged milk to sharpen their instincts and focus. The "Droogs" use this ability to violently harm innocent citizens. In this society, it is shown how it is possible to get a kick, or a high, out of violence. They use it like a drug. And refer to it as Ultra Violence. Anyway, I would not recommend this film for anyone under 18+. As it conveys such a disturbingly violent story, younger viewers might be too shocked by the graphical content to understand the true message, and the more subtle undertones.
Teen, 14 years old Written byplo334 January 18, 2012

GOOD FOR TEENS WATCH WITH PARENTS

well the movie is violent and have drugs and robs etc.. but this masterpiece of movies. have one very positive message of being diffrent on you own way and dont do bad things(even this message is more for teens who is getting out of adolecensse).it says too that if you do something wrong you deserve punishement and make people change you for"better"will not help you. it syas to you respect people cause one day when you were weak they will have them revenge. the movie even being violent and disturbing is something that parents have to watch with their sons(they are surely watching things worse than this) so talk open about alex and the things that he does. and why he gets on that situation. talk to them too for when they have their childs to they give them education values unlike alex parents. is one grat movie for when you see that something is not going well with your children me and my father watched this and we both refelxed and get on the conclusion of this. grat movie watch it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheWolfBros July 15, 2011

A Clockwork Orange Might Be Not As Bad As People Say

One of the greatest films of all time does have a sex scene( which is fast forwarded through and hard to see but very graphic. Another woman is raped(off screen) but you can see her completely naked. The violence, there is are shadows of Alex and his droogs beating up an old man with a cane (not too graphic). Alex murders a woman with a statue but it is also offscreen. The main thing to worry about this movie with teens is that teens will find Alex Delarge irresistibly cool and might want to imitate him. Parents must remember that the content in this film like the nudity and the sex scene isn't too much of a problem. If your child is easily influenced by the media than you might want to wait until they are older. Also, this film is also a little sexist. This shouldn't be a problem for any kid 13 and up who can handle the fact that they should not copy Alex.
Teen, 14 years old Written byantoineisthebest May 17, 2011

10+

ok stop saying that this is innapropriate nudity is life,rape we`re not stupid drugs that is not smart but doesn`t we have to do it
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylogmaniac November 18, 2009

perfect for kids 17 and older

its explicit sex scenes and violent and nudity way innapropriate
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Great Piece of Art SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I would say that the movie is really a gem of an art piece. The use of excellent imagery coupled with pretty out-of-the-place background score tells us about the uniqueness of this movie. Stanley Kubrick has really applied a lot of thought into this. The director wants the audience to feel something as bad not because he is showing it as bad but because it really is bad. The background music accompanying the ultra violent scenes is comical, and not dramatic or anything else that is commonly associated with such scenes. This gives the viewer an opportunity to feel the bitterness not because the music hints so but because he himself feels so. Viewer's emotions should arise irrespective of what the director is trying to show, and this is one of the greatest successes of the movie. Another glorifying feature is the central idea of the movie. If a human is striped of the choice to choose from good and evil, he no longer remains a human, he becomes a clockwork. When Alex is brain-washed and "programmed" to choose only good, he wasn't accepted by the society and this shows the irony in the objectives of the British Government. The word Orange from the title presumably comes from the word "Ourange" that loosely means man. And hence the title is so appropriate to the movie. The artificiality in dialogues and sets give the movie a unique feature and enhance the grip on it. This also means that the viewer has to get more involved. This is definitely one of the best technically shot movies, another masterpiece of Kubrick like the Space Oddessey. For the uninitiated, set in near future Britain, the movie shows Malcom MacDowell as the head of a group of youngsters involved in sexual violence. Turn of the events leave the protagonist in the hands of the police. Worried by the growing number of prisoners the British Government devises a method of "programming" them so that they always choose the good. Alex is chosen as one of those on which the new system is to be tested. The rest unfolds as a saga of the very human characteristic. Lastly, I would like to say that you may be compelled to leave the movie in between, but if you are watching it for art and cinematic experience, I recommend you to sit through.
Parent Written byClockworkOrangeFan January 3, 2014

SARCASM

This the most family friendly, and heartwarming tale I have ever seen. It is Kubrick at his finest! Alex, our main character, is an outstanding role model for children of all ages. Especially our youth!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 May 6, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS

While this is one of the greatest films of all time it is not for kids in any way shape or form. It has Graphic Nudity and Violence throughout. Every single character is despicable the main character is a rapist and a murderer and is very disturbing.

this is, the greatest movie ever made

if you have seen this movie and didn't like it, i have no respect for you as a sentinel life form. this is, without a doubt, the best movie ever made and there will be no disagreement here. i dont care what the hell its rated, this should be seen as an art peice as is the mona lisa
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2013

A Movie I'll See When I'm Older

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I'll see this when I'm older.
Kid, 11 years old October 14, 2011

great movie

I think this movie is great.I do not think it is for kids though. There is rape blood gang fights nudity and lots of drugs.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 September 20, 2011

Amazing and brilliant

It's an amazing and intriguing Kubrick film, filled with violence and sexual content. However, after seeing most of the movie, I must say that the upward review isn't very fair. The sexual content is mainly nudity (full body or otherwise), and there isn't any actual sex except for two scenes: one being a 44-second sped up scene of two girls with Alex to the William Tell overture, and another 10-second or less scene at the end. There is another during the Ludovico treatment in the middle of the film, but not much is shown. There are a lot of nude pictures in the movie, decorating the homes and buildings, and there is a ceramic phallus in the cat-lady scene. It is very violent, with beatings and rape, and there are 2 deaths, off scene, and both are by accident. The gang scene is cool, with a lot of chairs and falling. As for language, there are a few light ones, and the bas**** word is said a few times, maybe one or two S words, and two uses of the F word. The rest are in nadsat, so there's no point in including them as actual cursings. In any case, watch it fully at least once! PS, in most cases, the book is worse. Second PS; the Milk-plus drinks that the droogs drink in the film are laced with Drencrom, Synthmesc, or Vellocet (I memorized them XD), which are like LSD drugs. It makes them sharper for a bit of the old Ultra-violence. There's a deeper meaning to this film and in the book, and reading both will hopefully ensure the full understanding. It is not a film to be taken lightly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThenoahman November 2, 2010

Nothing wrong its just a movie

Okay seriously are we still judging movies by there content and restricting them from kids because they have to much nudity or they are to violent seriously i am 14 and saw this movie when i was 13 there is nothing wrong with it yes it has nudity but thats part of every day life the fact that anything was wrong with the nudity would go right over kids heads its just fine there is barely any violence or language just nudity i mean ive seen everything from goodfellas to the godfather and even scarface and those movies are just fine to just like any movie so please stop judging things by their content and just let your kids watch them it
Teen, 16 years old Written byEvangray September 16, 2009

This is an amazing and yet terrifying film. The book is one of my faves, and its a fantastic movie... This shows that film can be an extremely powerful medium, especially in the hands of a director such as Kubrick. This film shows rape, murder, torture/brainwashing, etc. on screen. Dont let young kids watch this.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares December 26, 2008

One of Kubrick's best.

Unfortunately, A Clockwork Orange has lost much of its message. The film deals with adult fears of the youth during a time when the youth was very violent. (Of course, it still is.) I won't call it Kubrick's best movie (I'd choose 1975's Barry Lyndon) but it is still great.
Adult Written byfenixataris182 April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMan123 April 9, 2008

One of Kubrick's greats

A clockwork Orange I can not say enough is NOT for your children, or teenagers of that mater, all of the DVD's out to day on the stands are all Rated X(NC-17) like the original that was cut from the theaters back in 1971. But don't get me wrong it is none the less a masterpiece that your kids will just have to see when they are 18
Parent of a 17 year old Written byciarant February 19, 2015

Classic!

Keeps my 7 and 9 year old quiet on rainy afternoons. I even suggested it to the vicar!
Adult Written byABullworthy September 2, 2014

Stanley did it again. Bring out the ultra violence

Great movie, but ultra violent. Not very bloody but lots of people been beaten with poles. 2 attempted rape scenes with full frontal nudity of women. A sped up sex scene. Lots of graphic sexual art. A women gets beaten with a sex toy .This movie is known to be very disturbing but it is a great movie. 18+.