All member reviews for A Hard Day's Night

Beatles classic is Fab-ulous, but expect lots of smoking.

Teen, 14 years old Written bythundermuffin May 27, 2012

FUN!!!!

AMAZING MOVIE!!!!!! There is one scene that mentions something about an orgy, but that is only one sentence. Literally. No big deal at all. And yes, it was 1964, so they smoked. It was the thing back then. Just make sure yr kids understand that smoking is bad for your health, but that in the 60s they didn't know that. And the only drug reference is when John sniffs a Coca Cola bottle. It is not cocaine, obviously, but it is a spoof off of sniffing coke, although in this funny scene he is sniffing the SODA coke, not the drug. And that's pretty much it. The rest of the movie is just plain fun.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythebeatlesgirl15 February 8, 2011

perfect for everyoneeee

i absolutley LOVE the beatles and im 15.....its a great movie for anyone of any age, and has amazing music :D :D
Teen, 14 years old Written byGentlyWeepsAlong April 9, 2008

Simply, One Of The Greats...

BEATLES! Yes, yes... One of the most influential, great films of the '60s. The only "iffy" bits were that they all run from the law (it's a misunderstanding), and near the beginning John is sniffing "coke." (This was a improvisation by him - he's sniffing a bottle of Pepsi.) The latter will probably go over kid's heads... Heck, it went over my head until my friend pointed it out. Also, the whole thing can kind of be seen as a commersial for Beatles, but that really isn't a problem as they don't really need commersials right now. In closing, wonderful film. Very funny.
Kid, 8 years old February 8, 2015

Awesomeness!

This is a great comedy because all the Beatles are funny! And the music is fantastic! You should totally watch this movie!
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2014

Hard Day's Night

I agree with Commonsensemedia's review, but I just don't think that eight-year-olds would be that interested. I may be stereotyping, but most eight-year-olds I've met can hardly sit through a Disney movie, let alone a feature-length ad for the Beatles. Too much sex: The grandfather of one of the members of the band was described as 'sex obsessed' and tells a woman that she'd be good at swimming (referring to her breasts, which you can see, simply because she is leaning over, although it will probably go over many children's heads, I got it simply because my friends are... a bit interesting.) Too much smoking: There is a lot of smoking, but you may want to explain to your child that, in that era, it was considered the height of 'coolness' to smoke. It was expected of people then. Great role models: The members of the Beatles have a good sense of humor that is sometimes a little iffy- they make fun of a band member's ears (or was it nose..?) and are sometimes a bit rude to people older than them, which is admittedly a bad influence but it is for humor purposes, and it's all in good fun. You can really tell that they care about their audience and fans. (side not, there are several occasions in which fans, or members of the band, fall violently on their faces, they get up again immediately but it does look very painful.) Thanks for reading my review, Gothilocks.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Wittier and wickeder than you may remember

My 9 year old dissolves into uncontrollable giggles whenever we watch this. Let's face it: the Beatles were a group of overgrown kids sticking it to stuffy adults. If you haven't seen this in awhile, you may be surprised at the subversive humor: "I fought the war for your sort." "Bet you're sorry you won!" Or, "Are you a mod or a rocker?" "I'm a mocker". I'm tagging this as educational, because all kids should know about the Beatles, the Swinging 60s, and how they influenced American culture.
Parent Written byLilWeiWei December 8, 2013

Great for high schoolers!

As a Beatles fan (And immediate member in one of their families), I think this movie is great. You can teach your kids who the Beatles are, while enjoying their diverse senses of humor. At times, their accents can be thick, so be sure to put on subtitles!!! Even I have trouble understanding them at times. I rated this 14 and up not because of the smoking and drinking, but the scene where the word "orgy" is said, and then everyone runs off to go to the alleged "orgy". I'm not sure if this is in the US version of the movie, or only in the UK one. The reason I did 14 years and up is because 14 is the age at which Americans start high school, and I promise you, if your child goes to high school, they'll hear words like that all the time, and references to things like that.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDoctor Who Lover March 13, 2012

A MASTERPIECE!!!!!

Great movie!!! The fans get a little obsessed, but that's the truth of what really did happen to the AWESOME BAND The Beatles. They are really a great band, and the movie is filled with great songs, a somewhat inapropriate but funny grandpa, and fun for the whole family! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover January 25, 2012

kids won't get it

so good! The kids won't understand the drug stuff anyway, and there's only that one bit
Teen, 13 years old Written byCatLover71 December 18, 2011

One of the best!

It's a hilarious film! It is in black and white, but that doesn't matter. It has quite a bit of smoking, but it hardly promotes it. A Hard Day's Night teaches kids a bit about what fame brings, so it could help them in that sense. A sly drug reference where John is 'sniffing coke' (he smells a Pepsi bottle) but I didn't even notice that until trusty old Youtube pointed that out. It comes just behind Yellow Submarine in my 'Top 5 movies of all time' list.
Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2011

Great Movie About A Great Band

This movie is great. There are many funny moments. There is also moments where The Beatles smoke, John acts like he's sniffing cocaine, and there is alcohol at parties. But the humor weighs out the bad stuff. This is a great movie of a legendary band.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHALO13 June 25, 2011

Better than Help!

this is even beter than Help this is so funny only two scene of sexual behavior one John Lennon says to a bunch of girls i bet you cant guess what i was in for which sounds inaproprate and the grandfather of Paul goes to a club and then Paul says by now he's in the middle of some orgy and everyone of the beatles gets excited thats it other than that its A OK
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Beatles are best

This movie is one of the best of all time! The Beatles are just naturally hilarious and the whole movie is about them just having fun together! Of course this is an old movie so they are shown smoking as it's perfectly ok. This only sexual thing is one part where they briefly mention orgies. All together it's a great movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 10, 2011

GREAT MOVIE!!

There's really nothing bad in this one. Just the Beatles being funny and having a great time. The only bad parts are that in the beginning, George lights a cigarette for Ringo in the beginning maybe some drug reference. Other than that a great film!
Kid, 10 years old May 28, 2011

Awesome

It's a great movie with a greater band. What's not to love? Although at one point they mentioned something about an orgy.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

It's just the Beatles being silly. Nothing overt about drugs, that I saw.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda February 26, 2010

Amzing, of course

I really liked this movie although it is in black and white, and Paul's grandfather was very essential to the movie, his randomness just made you quirk a smile. Any Beatles fan will love it; but due to their similar looks (hair) children may be confused who is each person, so remind you child who is who while watching.
Adult Written byWonderfulTonight August 29, 2009

LOVED THE MOVIE

LOVE THIS FILM! The Best Beatles film!!! A must watch! I loved the movie, music, humor, plot, and everything that there is to the movie. Shows George, Paul, Ringo, and John having a blast, breaking the rules, and having fun. GENIUS!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper mello November 7, 2008

a must-see for all beatles lovers

i loved this movie! it was full of clever humor, and it was about the most awesome band ever. it made the beatles all seem really cute and childish, which was really fun. i thought it was a great movie for anyone who likes beatles music.