All member reviews for A History of Violence

Complex examination of violence; not for kids.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 16 years old Written byCurbspaget April 9, 2008

Very, very, very bad.

I watched this movie after reading the book (which is very different and much better), and thought it was horrible. I think the book was a little more violent, but I don't understand what was up with the whole sex scene. That was no where in the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydamoviecritic April 9, 2008

it's a drama, not an action movie

One thing that I really disliked was that this movie was advertised an action packed thriller. It is not. It is a Cronenberg film in the vein of Spider. It is slow and thoughtful. This is not supposed to be action packed. It is intended as a meditation on the horrific effects of violence and one's past, and on this level, it succeeds fantasticly. The best movie of 2005.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Such a waste!

We saw this movie in London (so the cut may have been different than in the US) because we love Viggo Mortenson! However, this fell *far* short of our expectations. There was a lot of frontal nudity (female), a scene in which Viggo rapes his wife, and excessive un-necessary violence including children seeing / killing others. Sometimes violence - such as when building the foundation of a story - is understandable; but it was excessive gore and not necessary. In one scene, Viggo shoots through the back of a man's head and blows his lower jaw off with a shotgun - I ended up looking away from the screen because it wasn't just a brief image, the camera stayed on the man's face for more than 10 seconds. I do *not* recommend this movie - even to adults! The plot was weak and seemed rushed; the actress who played the wife seemed neurotic even though Viggo's character was loving and supportive throughout the beginning of the movie. My husband and I were very disappointed we didn't see Nanny McPhee instead!
Adult Written byworkethic April 9, 2008

This movie is definately not for kids. When a couple of ruthless thugs try to take over a small town diner, the owner Tom Stalls, a well respected family man, brutally kills the robbers when they turn violent on a female employee. Media attention on Tom draws an East Coast mob out to his quiet town. They insist they have unfinished business with Tom, calling him "Joey." Tom's family begins to question his past while Tom struggles to handle his situation non-violently....which proves futile. This movie presents the issues of running from your past, the ongoing consequences of violent actions and a persons struggle for redemption. There are some steamy sex scenes between Toma nd his wife. The violent scenes short and quick, but pretty graphic. A very interesting film for adults.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

drama

this is not for kids to see only got adults.
Kid, 9 years old January 12, 2009

Violence is OK for fifteen year olds

One part I desire is when a gun shot killed an actor.
Adult Written bycallofduty5 September 27, 2010

off for 13+

Bad movie. Good characters and allright acting but plot is pretty not into my mind. Its graphic and dark also so consider speaking to ur kids before you buy this.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydippendots April 9, 2008

Adult Written byraab April 9, 2008

Adult Written byGoDsLiLoNe22 April 9, 2008

I was shocked at the really visual sex scenes

Adult Written byjlwilliamson April 9, 2008

Adult Written bysaraledbetter April 9, 2008

I gasped

I am married with two kids. I went to see this with my husband and I know at least twice my face turned red with embarassment.I understand why they put these parts in the movie yet I have trouble believeing that they in any way changed the overall appeal of the movie.
Adult Written byBlack-Fandango July 25, 2011

Many reviews miss the point of this movie.

This movie is a commentary on how we, as people, are both repulsed and exhilarated by violence. Director David Cronenberg lingers on the gore not in an effort to completely gross out the audience, but to illustrate a point about the grotesquery of violence, and the actual harm it causes to the human body. A far cry from the oft-glamorized violence of Hollywood. The infamous sex-scene on the stair case is shown to demonstrate the attraction to violence. Ergo, this is a very thought-provoking film that should be seen.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI_Slay_Covenant April 9, 2008

Trash, Garbage

First let me say i can handle violence i've seen a great deal in my time, some quite explict. yet i found this film 2 be utteerly rediculess there was no need for the amount or detail put into the violence of this film. to be honest i wish i had never watched it, i've seen shooter, punisher, resident evil, just 2 name a few, though they were voilent they had perpose, this is just garbage. A man has his throut stepped on and crushed, a mans nose is beaten flat into his face. a man starts to rape his wife in a marital dispute then she consentes and they have steamy sex on the stairs 4 like 5 mins compleate with moaning and screaming, maria bello enters the room the following scene in an open path robe revealing FULL FRONTAL!! the movie was bad don't watch it!!
Adult Written bybluedevilO4 April 9, 2008

WORST movie I've ever seen

This movie sucked. It was not what I expected. I was excited to see the movie but when I finally did, I was very disappointed. It was really boring and it never took off. The sex scenes were way too graphic. I'm really surprised that this movie isn't N-17. The violence wasn't that bad. There was a part where a guy gets his nose smashed and it looked disgusting. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
Adult Written byislandfreak1300 April 9, 2008

Brutal.......

But Amazing now 17 is making it a bit harsh but I would say a 16 year-old could see it. It is a must see movie though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 30, 2012

Mature drama

:Lots of graphic bloody violence, some sexuality and graphic nudity, and some language. Not for young or immature kids
Adult Written bychristian2011 May 20, 2012

A History of Violence. Too violent and sexual in nature for teens.

The violence in this movie is quite graphic yet frightening; two men rob a diner and forces the man to give them money or his partner will forcefully try to rape one of his waitresses. The man knocks the robber over in the floor, and shoots him on the top of his head, and blood is seen gushing from his mouth. A boy is bullied to the point where he punches the bully and knocks him on the floor and then relentlessly punches and kicks him in the face and stomach. A boy shoots a man through the stomach with a shotgun resulting with a gaping bloody hole. A man breaks another man's nose and stomps on his throat while on the ground, and he chokes to death. There are several uses of f**k, motherf**ker, and s**t. Some characters are seen smoking and drinking. There is a sex scene involving thrusting between a married couple and buttocks are briefly seen, including a woman's pubic area.