All member reviews for A League of Their Own

Adult Written byMovieLover101 April 9, 2008

A nice little film about a womens baseball league

I enjoyed this film. It was quirky and cute, yet daring. Early Hanks is great with good supporting cast. I thought I was going to dislike it since these type of movies are "Not my thing", but I was suprised. Great family film to watch with the kids on a Sunday evening.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byScienceIn June 13, 2011

A Baseball Classic

So few baseball movies of interest and appropriate for the tweens. This one was LOVED by my 10-year-old son who found the humor, message, and baseball plays all entertaining. He was remembering things to me the following day -- something he's never done before. You'll need to deal with the drunk of a manager, but even he redeems himself in the end. Language was nothing more that a bit crude, but certainly funny and memorable for the 10+ boy.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycraftysafdie April 9, 2008

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion July 7, 2009

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN is a funny, inspiring movie that has perfect acting and a perfect script. It would be an excellent choice for family movie night. There is some language: several uses of "d**n" and "h**l", and one "b***h". A man calls another a "penis with a hat". There's some mild sexual innuendo: "All-the-way" Mae exerts her feminine charms on men. She teaches another girl to read using a presumably sexually explicit novel, and, when she goes out on a date, a woman asks her where she got her dress. Her response: "It doesn't really matter, I'm not planning on wearing it very long". When she goes in to confession, the priest "drops his Bible twice" from inside the confessional. She suggests that having a "wardrobe malfunction" may attract publicity to the league, but the suggestion is met with negative response. One man is disrespectful and a drunk, but most characters are kind, determined, and good role models for kids.
Kid, 11 years old May 15, 2012

Great Movie

This movie is really good I saw it in class for Women's History, but it says bad words like the b word and the s word
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2010

LOVE the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 June 29, 2010

Gram Slam for A League of Their Own!

This movie shows that women can do anything! I wish they would still do women's baseball :( but this movie was so cool! Drinks are used and body parts too, but a very funny movie!
Adult Written bybrennafly April 9, 2008

great movie

This is a great movie to watch! I love this movie especially because I love baseball. Tom Hanks was great. Everbody 10 and up should see this movie. The language wasn't too bad. A character was drunk in the beginning of the movie. Good Movie!!!
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

Favorite Movie.

Definatly makes my best hits list.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhtriplett@icloud.com January 10, 2015

Tom Hanks did unbelievable and he was hilarious but characters say some cuss words, It was sad where they discuss Betty "spaghetti's husbands death and the men can be annoying, in one scene a man wants a girl to slide so he can see her underwear, a moddo...... "All the way Mae makes a mans day in an inappropriate way".
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2014

a league of their own

Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

Great Story!

" A legue of their own" is a great story! Some parts are a little bit inappropriate but most of it wasn't. I would recommend this movie to watch.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag December 2, 2012

Impressive story of women's baseball. Some mild language!

"A League of Their Own" is a sports drama starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty and Tom Hanks. Being inspiring and thoughtful, but also very entertaining, "A League of Their Own" is an overwhelming story of fighting for your dreams and friendship. The plot involves around the first women-only-league of baseball in the 1940s. It is a story about women standing together for their dream, in a world dominated by men. No matter how hard the times are, they stand strong and fight for their rights. The movie features strong performances by Tom Hanks (one year before he won the Academy Award for "Philadelphia", and two years before he starred in "Forrest Gump") and Geena Davis. The theme song, a masterful ballad called "This Used to be my Playground", performed by superstar Madonna, who also co-stars in this movie (and does not even act THAT bad), is one of the movie history's most inspiring and wonderful songs. If you expect an action-packed sports movie, you'll be disappointed, but if not, you'll get an amazing look into a time period, in which women had to fight for their rights - and one of the most accurate lessons in equality. ---------------------------------------------- There is some mild language, s**t, a*s, and one b*tch. A man is called a penis. Tom Hanks' character is an alcoholic, but it is done for comic reasons and is not depicted glorifying. Should be okay for tweens and up!
Adult Written bywonder dove November 6, 2012

Delightful!

A league of their own is probably one of the most "feel good" memorable movies I've ever seen and having said that, I'm not one for sports movies. But this is amazing. So much energy and never a dull moment. Gena Davis steals the show by far! I loved Rosie O'Donnell, and Tom Hanks is just hilarious. The film really has everything, I've even teared up a few times. I used to watch this all the time with my dad, so it brings back a lot of memories. A position in the all American women's baseball league is offered to Dottie (Gena Davis) who is not interested at first but convinced by her younger sister Kit, she decides to take the opportunity only if her sister can participate. They give it a try and make it, on separate teams, although Kit is always jealous of Dottie. The teams go through a lot of hard work and training but soon become the best, most sought after women's league. Manager Jimmy (Tom Hanks) who seems very laid back and care-free, coaches the girls and makes sure they stay on top. Really enjoyable film with an excellent cast! There is a small amount of rude humor (when I was young, I overlooked it) and some language, barely any violence, and lots of good messages to learn from. Recommended to families and kids over 10.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

league their own

Families can talk about women's role (or lack thereof) in most professional sports. Do you think women could compete equally on men's teams? Why or why not? In order to keep the game popular with fans, the players flaunted their femininity. Do you think this was all in good fun, a sign of the times, or somewhat demeaning to great athletes?
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2012

f

It is great movie that tells the story of women's baseball. There are a couple things that younger kids might not understand though. Most boys probably wouldn't want to watch it but it's a fun movie for girls AND boys.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2011

BEST MOVIE EVER

It was GREAT... I hate baseball but it was perfect. Mae is the most inapropriate charector in it becuase she thinks shes sexy... thats about it
Kid, 11 years old May 10, 2011

Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2011

Awesome

One of my favorite movies.
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2010

I loved this movie. some parts are inapropriat but in most part it teaches you a great lesson. than if you go for something and try to acheive it then chances are you will.