All member reviews for A Nightmare on Elm Street

Teen, 14 years old Written byjrcalhoun759 March 6, 2010

What can I say? This is a classic. When people that havent seen the movie think of A Nightmare on Elm Street, they think sex, killing, and language. That's wrong. There is no sex in this film, only moaning, and that is used for comical intentions. There is a lot of blood, but its totally fake and very unrealistic. There were only 4 f bombs and a handfull of other mild explitives. A must see for tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeminolefreak March 30, 2011

Good Halloween scare, in today's standards, a PG-13 flick

My MPAA Rating, PG-13: Brutal horror violence and gore, strong language, terror, sexual situations, and use of alcohol
Teen, 17 years old Written byHamsterSandwich August 20, 2010

Perfect For Young Teens.

Not bad. The killings are creative, there's good acting. Oddly enough, Krueger himself isn't all that scary. Every two seconds he's spewing out badly-written puns. On the plus side, there's a very young Johnny Depp. It's definitely not a great movie, but it's an alright movie. It has it's flaws, but it's pretty enjoyable. I think the only disappointment is the ending, which is just an obvious cliff-hanger.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2013

SUPER SCARY

I ittery craped myself when i wached it this is so scary you need meds and pull up and a nightlight0.0
Kid, 2 years old September 1, 2011

For mature kids and teens only

No matter what your age is, you must be mature to see this. This is fun for the whole family if the whole family is mature. 4 uses of f**k and 2 more swears, but this was made in the 80's! Ratings were higher back then! Today, It would be PG or PG-13. I saw this and the remake when I was like 7! Most of you adults and parents have seen this at my age (or maybe 9 years old). So let your kid see this if there mature, PLEASE!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGollumfan July 28, 2011

Okay for teens

The only bad stuff is when Freddy does things to himself, like ripping his face off so you can see his skull.
Teen, 16 years old Written byraphael's_girl July 18, 2011

A Nightmare on Elm Street

I love horror movies, but I'm not a big fan of the slasher sub-genre. However, "A Nightmare on Elm Street" is so famous, I figured I couldn't call myself a true scary movie buff until I'd seen it. So, I rented it and gave it a try. The plot is definitely very interesting and different, and it quickly grabbed my attention. The acting was just fine, but not anything special. It was cool, though, to get to see an insanely young Johnny Depp in his first film role as the main character's boyfriend. The effects are okay, but pretty cheesy at times. The music is dated as well, but actually works to the movie's advantage; it really fit. The violence in this movie is definitely over the top gross, with people peeling the skin off their skulls, geisers of blood, slashing, cutting, hanging, and more. You also see two teens in bed together barely clothed, and some sexual innuendos. The language is very strong as well, with uses of f---, s---, a--, and more. Alcohol is another problem: the main characters mother is a heavy drinker. Overall, I wasn't as impressed with "A Nightmare on Elm Street" as I hoped I would be. I enjoyed the interesting plot (although there are some things left unexplained), but the gore and language were too much. The ending was pretty lame also...I mean, what the heck? I did find out later that Wes Craven wanted a different ending, but the studio overruled his decision. Anyway, I'd watch it if you're a big horror fan just so you can say you've seen it, but other than that, it's expendable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byam1408 August 18, 2010

THE PERFECT HORROR MOVIE FOR TEENS

PRETTY COOL !
Kid, 10 years old January 23, 2010

Not Exactly Scary But Makes You Jump At Parts

It's not exactly scary but at night you get a little scared because its about this guy going into your dreams and chasing you and trying to kill you. Language was only in certain areas. The blood was too fake to be real. My friend wasn't scared either. Parents: this film may give your children nightmares so don't let them see it if you don't want them going into your room and saying I'm scared Freddy is gonna kill me. Overall a great horror classic the movie that started it all. A Must see for horror fans
Teen, 13 years old Written byzasios13 October 22, 2009

Amazing. Great for halloween.

This is a classic horror movie that I recomend seeing. But parents:IF YOU EVER WANT YOUR YOUNGER KIDS TO SLEEP PEACFULLY YOU WILL KEEP THEM AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE AS POSSIBLE!FREEDY WILL TERRIFY THEM!I AM DEAD SERIOUS!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCritical May 16, 2009

Are you ready for Freddy?

This movie is so awesome! The kills are bloody and actually a little creepy. You'd have to be out of your mind not to like this slasher classic!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 June 25, 2015

dated at times but it can definitely give you a good scare till this day.

It's been a little over a year since I saw this movie and I have seen it twice already and it's indeed one of my favorite horror movies. I'll go ahead and tell you the story in case you're one of the few people out there who doesn't know it. It's about a group of teenagers who are being killed of one by one in their dreams by a child killer named Freddy Krueger and the main character Nancy decides that she has to go into her dreams and try to stop Freddy once and for all. This movie is also notable for featuring Johnny Deep in his first ever film role. I think the two most inappropriate parts in this movie is that one nancy's mom is a heavy alcoholic and two very early in the film nancy's friend tina and her boyfriend rod decide to go and have sex while nancy and her boyfriend glenn played by Johnny deep are over at her house. You here them in the bedroom at first moaning pretty loudly and when it finally cuts to them in the bedroom it shows rod on top of tina for a few seconds not moaning or doing anything sexual and then he quickly gets off of her and they stop having sex. This is definitely the most graphic scene in the film in terms of adult content but it's really not that bad trust me. This movie is also pretty dang scary but I have seen way scarier like the shining and psycho. Kids from my generation who are into movies like paranormal activity and annabelle may find it cheesy and dated. However me being a fan of classic horror movies I found this movie pretty frightening. The movie isn't too too heavy on gore but if you faint or vomit at the sight of blood you obviously should avoid it. There's also a really bloody scene towards the end but the blood looks sort of fake and this movies budget was low. I think that this movie is definitely on for ages 13 and up and I wouldn't recommend any younger people see it but it depends on their maturity level. This movie also has kind of a positive message about facing your fears.
Teen, 15 years old Written byeazy__breezy June 5, 2015

Not too bad

The first nightmare on elm street is violent, but it was made in the very early 1980s, and even thought there were a lot of violent movies made back than, the special effects look outdated. Even so, it is still a very bloody movie, but it should be fine for older teens, even with the language and sexual content. Final verdict: appropriate for 15+, iffy for 13,14, inappropriate for 12 and under
Teen, 13 years old Written bylightningK9 December 6, 2014

violent

this movie was pretty good but it was intense and bloody. i think most teens would be able to handle it. there is stabbing, slashing, chocking, a burning man, and when someone was killed there was endless blood flowing out. there is also a sex scene and it shows a guys reaction to the sounds in the other room, but it is barely shown.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 December 5, 2014

1,2 Freddy's coming for you

This was another awesome slasher. It was very tame compared to all the new slashers. There is one sex scene but it isn't shown, There's about 4 uses of F***, a few uses of S***, 2 G******, some D***, and H***. There is a creepy bloody scene where a girl is slashed open. A boy is hung and another boy and the main characters Mother are sucked into a bed and blood comes out of the boys bed.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth August 8, 2014

one...two freddys coming for you

A nightmare on elm street is about a killer who murders teens in their sleep. There is a physically burned man throughout the movie.There are a couple of sexual scenes in the movie, the main one ends with a a brutal killing.There is also language in the film. There are also several killings including one teen s blood everywhere.
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz July 18, 2014

Not bad

I think this was a good 80's tradition horror movie. The violence is a little stupid at times. There is quite a bit of gore. There is only 3 f-words and the sex isn't to much. There is one sex scene (nothing shown) and a glimpse of a women's side breast. An ok 80's slasher.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylimabeanzrule May 25, 2014

Pretty good

Full of jump-scares, and gruesome deaths; this horror movie does not disappoint. But never fear, parents! It is not too scary, and it doesn't show anybody naked... And, did I mention that is brag-worthy? Watch it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover18 May 12, 2014

Great movie but may be scary for kids

This is a great movie freddy Krueger has been idolized as one of the best slasher horror killers of the 80s. However just like in the title of this movie it's a nightmare for kids. You can hear moaning from 2 teenagers but nothing is shown and freddy kills in all sorts of gruesome ways and his appearance and voice can be frightening
Teen, 14 years old Written byrating_guy May 11, 2014

scary fright fest

This movie is scary, violent and dark. This is a must see that you will not regret. R: gory horror violence and images, some language, brief sexuality and for a use of alcohol- most involving teens