All member reviews for A Prairie Home Companion

Quirky, provocative film about relationships.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion July 4, 2009

You May Have to Think for a While...

A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION is many things. First off, it's a comedy, filled with weird, quirky characters and lots of laughs induced by physical and vulgar humor. Next, it's a spiritual film, filled with thought-provoking, metaphorical references to life and death. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it's a labor of love. The love the writers, actors, and director felt for this odd project shines through in every scene of the movie. The initial plot of the film is very simple, but as the film continues it thickens and gets more confusing. You'll have to ponder it for a little while. But, even if some of it doesn't make sense at first, you can still feel warm sense of love, laughs, and nostalgia shine through in every part of the film. There is some sexual humor: a man dies while preparing for a tryst with a co-worker, and crude names are made for various parts of both male and female anatomy. One song contains a string of bad, corny sexual jokes, but it's nothing worse than a 13-year-old has already heard. There is also some mild language.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

Saw this openeing day after waiting for it a while, and I was not let down

This is an excellent movie, and funny too. I like how the movie was filmed in real-time, like United 93. Obviously, I have a different sense of humor than some people, but I loved this movie, even if some call it "quirky". As for content, there wasn't anything that bad except for some sexual jokes ("Risque humor"). So by all mean, I recommend that you go and see this movie. Right now. As in leave this computer. Go. Now.
Adult Written byI Love Movies April 9, 2008