All member reviews for A River Runs Through It

Beautifully filmed movie about family has mature themes.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process December 11, 2010

Good movie, good lesson.

It's actually really good! This is not the kind of movie I would normally watch, but it was well done. It's not perfect, but it was a good story of two brothers. It teaches us that if you take things more seriously like Norman and care about education, you'll be successful, and if you do stupid things and make bad decisions, your life will go downhill. Other people gave it bad reviews because it requires you to use your brain! You have to think during this movie to understand what's going on.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycolten97 October 11, 2012

This movie is very dear to my own Heart! Movies cannot get better than this!

I have read the short story by Norman Maclean, and the movie did justice to Norman Maclean's writing. My husband tends to reread it occasionally, and I myself have read it over and scenes of the movie keeps coming to mind. We have videos of many of Redford ‘s movies and we have watched "A River runs through it" many times. Redford is part of the "famdamily" as he is always around. We never get tired of Redford's perception of Norman Maclean writings, and the beauty of Montana. The script reminds me very much of my own upbringing as my father had the same calling as Mr. Maclean's father. According to "A River Runs Through It," "Methodists are Baptists who can read," a line which by the way is not in the short story, but I think that is a funny line! My husband and I are well-read Baptists! I have heard a movie critic state that the pace of this movie is too slow. I disagree. As one search for inner peace, this is the type of movie that will make you contemplate the beauty of nature in three/four rhythm of the metronome. The photography is outstanding! The acting is great. I love the scene where Norman and Paul as boys talked and wondered whether one could be a fly fisher or a boxer! Then as adult Paul played by Brad Pitt is the "perfect guy" who needs help with his alcoholism but will not accept it. The same applies to Neal Burns, who uses worms as bait, he also needed help but would not accept the fact that he needed help. The scene where Paul refuses to eat oatmeal and the entire family has to wait an eternity to say grace! Finally after hours, they all kneel around the table to say: "Grace!" and they all leave. But the oatmeal stayed on the plate! That scene where the two love birds and their tattoos on their posteriors! That is funny! The sunburn! The drive back home where Jessie Burns decides to go via the train line! Beautiful dialogue when Norman proposes to Jessie because he wants her to come to Chicago with him! Redford himself does a superb job as a narrator. I could not stop myself from comparing Brad to the young Redford. The nominated Director, Producer, Actor, is a visionary who deserves to be praised for his advancement not only in the cinema in the US but around the world. I am glad to live in nineteen hundred because I have seen the beginning of the black and white television, the movies and all the technology and special effects, to be able to watch videos at home and to live in the same century as Redford because I have had the chance to see his works. Redford needs no special effects to show us the beauty of Montana in this masterpiece. The river to me means that line that separates life from death, memories and realities. Redford shows the hands of the Creator so magnificently and a river runs through it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygschueren May 24, 2009

This was not good

This movie was not a good one at all. The story line was bland and the only redeeming quality was Brad Pitt's acting.
Adult Written bywheeldon April 9, 2008

Written byAnonymous April 4, 2012

Great movie without judgement about highly complex issue

This is a great movie to watch as a family, double so if you have a child/family member who is different from everybody else, or considered a trouble maker. This movie about very painful situation when you have a child who is not like you, or wouldn't fit. What should you do? I like this movie because it is just telling the story without judgement. It opens the door for discussion within families.