Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Star Is Born

Cooper, Lady Gaga shine in tragic story of love, addiction.

Written byAnonymous October 3, 2018

Beautiful, raw movie for ADULTS. Maybe for mature and experienced 17's

This movie was written, produced and marketed as an adult drama (very well I should add, its a great film), for good reason. It's a pretty depressing and very mature movie containing graphic sex, relentless bad language and heavy themes. I'm shocked that CSM gave it such a low age stamp when they give less explicit and lighter films higher ratings. A few tender and inspirational moments don't outweigh the surplus of heavy content.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byJflores14 October 5, 2018

A Star Is Born is Fantastic, Moving, Mature

A Star Is Born was a fantastic movie, one of my favorites of the year. The music was amazing, the acting was equally impressive, yet there was plenty of profanity, sexuality, and some nudity. Violence: a man punches and is abusive while drunk many times in the movie. A woman punches a cop at a bar. A couple fights. Sex: plenty of kissing is seen. A couple of montages of the couple rolling around in bed (both shirtless, the woman's arms strategically placed to cover nipples and wearing panties), another sex scene happens in a bathtub and the sides of the woman's breast and one nipple are viewed. And in a climatic scene, a woman jumps out of a bath and for about one second scene fully naked from a distance, no clear nudity visible. A man gets an injection and the side of his butt is seen. Language: more than 100 f-words and scattered other words, such as ass and titty My rating: R/ for sexuality, some nudity, drug use and mature theme

Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byKazmom2 October 21, 2018

Great movie for high schoolers and up

I am honestly surprised by the other parent ratings. After reading the reviews here I told my 14 year old freshman she couldn’t see the film. After seeing it I told her she could. Yes,, there is cussing, but nothing a high school kid isn’t hearing at school (though hopefully not hearing as much as is in the movie!) The nudity is brief. The sex is literally a two or three scenes and in at least 2 of them the couple is married already. The sex scenes are tastefully done and show only a little nudity (which is the only nudity other than the bathroom scene which is also brief). Honestly I’d be more worried about the sexual content in some of the TV-14 shows on TV than in this (Big Bang Theory, The Office, Friends may not have nudity but have lots of indiscriminate, casual sex which I think is more inappropriate than what you see here). Yes, there are drugs and alcohol but it certainly isn’t glamorizing them, the addiction ruins the mans life. The last 30-45 minutes are hard to watch, but there is no content that should be shocking or wildly inappropriate for your average high schooler. If your high school age teen is ready to watch an emotional movie I think this is a good choice with good messages of love, commitment and the downfalls of addiction.

Adult Written byThornhill October 3, 2018

The first half is great and fun, the second half is weak and depressing, and the whole thing is explicit.

Sex scenes, over 100 unnecessary F-bombs, drugs and drinking, heavy themes, what are Common Sense Media thinking? You do great work, but you've dropped the ball again, pick it up please. Weird how a PG film with almost no objectionable content can get a 13+ on here but R films with heaps get 15+, especially when the R rating MEANS 17+ to begin with.

Adult Written byRmmeyer1 October 7, 2018

Mature, but good content

After reading the other reviews I worried that I made a mistake taking my 14 year old. But it was really a good movie, and yes the content was mature, but there was nothing surprisingly inappropriate. I think it’s fine for high school aged kids.

Adult Written byTrueReviews1 October 4, 2018

Worst movie of the year award.

Totally disgusting.

Adult Written byleftoverredrover October 11, 2018

Strong film with great performances has troublesome messages, racy content and very dark tone.

Despite the uplifting trailers and crowd-pleasing qualities this has, it’s actually really depressing, almost heartbreaking. After a pleasing first act it gets very sad and difficult, dealing with themes such as suicide, depression, addiction and the cost of fame in a way that doesn’t shy away. Other problematic content includes frank depictions of sex and frequent coarse language (mostly unnecessary).

Adult Written byJM82 February 12, 2019

Wasn’t that bad

Sure you see a little boob and butt but nothing at all bad. Took my 8yo and she had a few questions after but really, we are pretty open and honest about drugs, alcohol, bodies etc that she questioned more about other content than anything pearl clutchers deem racy.

Adult Written byDarylTheStudent October 7, 2018

A Star Is Born

A Star Is Born is already a major contender for several awards come festival season in the next few months, including the Oscars. And it's not hard to see why, as it's filled with great performances particularly from Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga and the music is excellent too. Nonetheless, it is more suitable for older teenagers and up. There are about 94 uses of the f-word along with other milder language. A couple has sex at least twice, and a woman is seen naked for a few seconds. In addition, a character is addicted to alcohol and drugs.

Adult Written byLuvmovies001 October 11, 2018

Mature movie for adults

This movie is defiantly for adults. It’s measages and themes are mature. There is moderate sex, drug use, and alcohol abuse in this movie. I don’t think it is one of those movies that a 16+ child would be scarred from , it just doesn’t offer a message and theme they can relate to or take anything from.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byjiminy5 October 10, 2018

Stabs You in the Heart

Mature themes and content! A beautiful, emotional love story, yet character has demons to battle. Music is so good, I want the soundtrack. I smiled and cried uncontrollably all within the space of this film. Interesting to see an alcoholic, drug addicted man be endearing and kind. It helped me feel enormous compassion for both lead characters. Loved the idea of expressing one's truth. If you were an Alias fan, Bradley Cooper brings back some old friends from that show, which is cool. This movie is definitely for adults: i.e characters meet in a drag bar, bathtub loves scenes, vomiting and peeing oneself, suicide.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 October 19, 2018

Chemistry through the roof!

Though I had seen this movie made twice before, it was still a joy to see it again under the capable directing hands of Bradley Cooper, also delivering one of his best performances. His slurred Jackson and Gaga's stunning acting as the fiery Ally are a spectacle to behold, and hold the movie together even when you realize where the plot's going. Kind of frequent love making scenes plus a little nudity, but it's the non-stop language that definitely earns this R-rating.

Parent Written bycrankylibrarian March 4, 2019

Powerful yet disturbing version of a familiar tale

Just sat through the encore extended length screening and still bawling. Two remarkable performances by singer turned actor Gaga, and actor turned singer Cooper as the bright young talent and her doomed alcoholic mentor and lover. I've seen and mildly enjoyed the 3 previous versions, but this one truly wrings the heartstrings. It's less about fame than about the cost of addiction and whether or not to stick with an addicted loved one. Jackson Maine is by far the most sympathetic and lovable version of this character; he is genuinely proud and supportive of Ally (for the most part), and genuinely kind and sweet with almost everyone else (with one notable exception which we'll get to in a moment). Gaga manages what none of the other 3 actresses in this role (Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland or (ugh) Barbra Streisand) achieved: conveying the self-doubt, insecurity and gradual growth in confidence needed to become a star. Ally and Jack are heartbreakingly tender with each other; the look in Cooper's eyes as he summons the strength for their final farewell is gut wrenching. So...good messages, bad messages. Well, there's the obvious bad one central to the plot: suicide is never the answer: it isn't romantic and it is NOT the best way to "take care of" a loved one. Not only is this unspeakably cruel to the person left behind, it's also insulting. Rather than facing their situation together and giving Ally the choice of whether or not to give up her career for him, Jack makes the decision for her. All suicide survivors face a crushing burden of guilt; to pretty much spell out "I killed myself so you could succeed" would be brutal. I was torn about the supporting characters. ASIB falls into the tokenizing cliche of showing the straight white, young protagonists are good people by surrounding them with LGBTQ, older, people of color. Ally's best friend is gay and Latino, she hangs out with black drag queens who all adore her; her dad and his mixed race gang of buddies are whimsically retro with their cigarettes and potbellies. Jackson's best friend is a slow talkin' black guy prone to uttering pearls of homespun wisdom around the kitchen table, surrounded by his supportive wife (who is remarkably sanguine about her husband's plastered buddy turning up in the rosebushes) and cute-as-the dickens daughter. That said, all these characters are entertaining and well acted and give us a sense of the lives the central couple will miss out on. The most troubling side character is Jackson's older half brother Bobby, played by the gravelly and pugnacious Sam Elliot. It takes a while to piece together, but it's clear they both had a troubled relationship with their alcoholic father, and that at some point the brothers were performing (and drinking) together. There is plenty of blame to go around, but in one of the film's most poignant moments, Jack apologizes to Bobby and admits that "Dad wasn't the one I idolized. It was you". I wouldn't exactly say this story has good messages, but it could provoke some deep conversations with teens about the power and degradation of addiction, and whether love alone can cure it. Jacks' "mean drunk"cruelty to Ally is frighteningly real. She plans to sacrifice her career to save him, so he sacrifices his life to save her. Did either of them make the right choice? What if they had been honest with each other instead of both lying? Should Ally have gotten involved with Jack when his problems were so obvious? And what responsibilities did all those charming supporting characters have, (other than providing a colorful backdrop)? Is Bobby right when he claims, "Know whose fault this was? Jack's. Not yours, not mine, just Jack's". Other concerns: a LOT of drinking and drug use (duh) but never glamorized, and with the inevitable results made clear. Some chastely filmed partial nudity and implied sex. Punches are thrown; f-bombs are dropped. The moments leading up to Jackson's suicide are disturbing, though the actual death is not shown. But on the plus side, a soul stirring romance told through soaring music in several genres: country rock, pop dance tunes, Edith Piaf, and unforgettable power ballads. You will yearn for a happy ever after for these two characters, even though you know it is not meant to be.
Adult Written byMMcG December 6, 2018

Powerful story with much to discuss about creativity, love, and drugs and alcohol

An incredibly immersive and emotionally powerful movie with terrific and heartfelt music. There’s lots of kissing, suggested sex but not much nudity--actually only one scene where Gaga’s whole body is shown for literally a second (and it left me wondering why at all). I could see taking a 14-year old to see it if the idea of sex and romance doesn't squidge them out completely and if you're ready to have discussions about relationships and about drug and alcohol use and abuse. Cooper’s character has a troubling and disturbing drug habit, which the movie appropriately handles as a disease and doesn't glamorize for a moment. Ultimately Cooper's character commits suicide. So not the best choice for a pre teen. I think the discussions you could have with your teen are important ones to have: about how powerful falling in love feels and the overwhelming temptation to want to be everything to and solve every problem for your love; about how some are tempted to and unsuccessfully attempt to stuff their feelings or run away from their problems by using drugs and alcohol. In addition, the movie shows the creative process at work; the story of how hard Cooper worked to make this movie--dedicating himself to a multi-year process of changing his voice, learning to sing and play guitar, and shadowing directors, sound engineers, etc. for years--could be powerful to discuss with a creative teen, too.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMartha's Reviews November 8, 2018

"A Star Is Born" is a beautiful piece of art, as well as my new love.

Despite being a genuine fan of film, there has not that I can ever recall ever been a movie that I've had a really deep connection with, that I always have on my mind, that I feel like the characters are beside me whatever I go through, and now for me that is the case, because "A Star Is Born" is my new love. Going into this film, I knew that it was a remake, of a remake, of a remake, but the only version I'd actually seen was with Kristofferson and Streisand (which I can actually say that I personally didn't really like that much, reason being that I didn't think their performances weren't very polished, so my expectations weren't very high). I have to say that I was completely proved wrong, in the sense that this was the most beautiful piece of art I've ever seen. The quality for a directorial debut from Cooper was astounding, for the sets were completely realistic, the casting choices were excellent (I was utterly surprised at Gaga, since I didn't know what she had!), the music was beautiful and now I cannot stop listening to the soundtrack in the background of doing my work (I see Oscar Nominations For Best Song already!), and I can come right out and say there is honestly nothing I don't like about this film. Like it's predessors, the film covers fame, the struggles of being an artist, music, addiction, and love. These are extremely well maintained, and I was in tears half the time because it was so perfect. Leaving the theater, it felt as though Cooper's Jackson and Gaga's Ally were at my side as I left, and that is because this is the kind of film that I absolutely love most - the ones where you start to appreciate everything a whole deal more as you leave and it just sticks with you in the sense you have a new found love. If you are age 15+ and haven't seen this film, please do go and watch it, because soon you too will be saying that you have found a new love. If I could rate it out of 10, I have to give a 10/10 because to me this film is perfect in every way. That's all I have to say, thank you for reading my review.
Adult Written byJoshuaL0928 December 16, 2018

Better for kids than some pg-13 movies.

I would actually rather show this to a kid than Easy A the sex is not bad it ends after about 4 seconds and the nudity isn’t graphic and isn’t very brief. The language is very present, over 100 uses of profanity, and the drug content is even worse.

Adult Written byCharper77 March 3, 2019

The best movie since Titanic

This movie is truly the best love, heart warming, deep feeling & perfect I have Ever saw!! It touched my soul like no other. Both Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga were flawless in their roles. What a magnificent duo! Utter Magic connection between them. It left my heart wanting to see more. Tears through the entire movie from happiness to every emotion... you two have outdone yourselves

Adult Written byAustin G. January 26, 2019

4-and-a-Half Stars Are Born

This is such a well-made film. The ending probably would have hit much harder had an elderly lady not spoiled it for me while I was covering Box Office for someone's break a couple months ago. So no, I have not seen the previous 3 versions of this movie.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byWendycarr November 20, 2018

Heart wrenching love story

This is my favourite movie of the year and one of my top all time picks. The acting and cinematography are excellent and make you feel you are right there with them. The acting Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is superb and the music is fantastic! There is alcohol and drug use but they show the perils of these vices rather than glamourising them. There are love scenes which are probably more embarrassing to watch with a parent. I would recommend this movie to 15+ year olds depending on the teen. My 14 year old isn’t empathetic enough to appreciate this movie, however she has some friends who would. I think it would be best watched with a parent if under 17 or at least a discussion had after watching it to make sure your teen is able to process the content.
Adult Written byChow250907 March 11, 2019

Amazing movie (one of my favourites)! Quite depressing in parts.

A well written, great acted movie. There is a fair amount of swearing including more than 100 f-bombs and some uses of s**t and b**ch. Jack is an alcoholic and a drug addict, and in some bits he is stoned and heavily drunk (could be a bit hard to process). SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!!! When Jack decides to end it all, it is very sad, including at the end when Ali sings in his honour. Overall amazing movie and would recommend it to anyone even if they hate Gaga (after this I promise you'll love her!!!)