All member reviews for A Thousand Words

Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2012

Are you crazy!

I watched this when I was about 10 or 11 years old and I thought it was appropriate for my age. You just don't know what kids say in school?! This is great and I don't understand why the ratings for this are so low. I loved it, but it may not be appropriate for really young viewers, but you're going to wait until they are 14 to watch this movie. Worth the watch and has a family message in the end.
Kid, 9 years old July 17, 2012

Amazingly inspiring!!!

I literally just watched this about an hour ago and I loved it!! It follows Jack Mcaff ( Eddie Murphy) a businessman and husband who sells books. Long story short ( No spoiler version) . A tree has 1000 leaves left and every word he says a leaf falls if all the leaves fall he dies. If you want more watch it yourself. The movie really makes you think about life and what a precious gift it is. Parents there is one sex scene but if you want to show this movie to your younger children just fast forward or something cause this movie is the bomb. A must watch feel good film!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byreviews_101 August 21, 2012

Amazing movie, but some iffy things

I really enjoyed this movie. It's about this man who suddenly has a tree pop up in his backyard, and everytime he says/writes a word, a leaf falls off. There's about a thousand leaves on the tree, and once all the leaves fall off he dies. In order to get what he wants at work and such, he has to act it out, which is pretty funny. There's also a good lesson in it, about getting closer to family. However, there are a few iffy things, like an inappropriate scene and some cussing. I rated this as on for 11 and up since I watched this movie with my 11 year old brother and he handled it fine, and he enjoyed the movie as well.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycountofcounts June 21, 2012

Entertaining movie, if a little bland

I was taking a look at a few of the other parent's reviews and WOW they made this movie sound 30x worse than it actually is. The word sh-t is used frequently but if you think that's inappropriate for a teen to hear, then maybe you should go to school with them for a day, where students swear left and right. The only real thing to watch out is the prolonged pre-sex scene, which is what bumped up my rating to 14 years old.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2012

Teen, 17 years old Written byGamer1995 July 21, 2012

Sign language I would learn

Sssswears and funny Eddie Murphy
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2012

A THOUSAND WORDS,A THOUSAND LAUGHS.

This movie is really funny, it has some fairly frequent language but no F-Bombs except for when Eddie Murphy's Character flips off a tree two leaves drop, there is some mild sexual content and it is a little disturbing for young kids toward the end.
Kid, 10 years old March 31, 2012

Good but way too much sexual behavior!

Well I think it is a great movie and all, but a little too much sexual behavior in it. But everything else is great.
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2012

Should Learn sine language

Got a good message and very funny
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 November 17, 2012

Would've been awesome if it was only a thousand words

Eddie Murphy is seriously a funny person. I used to think he was one of the funniest people alive. Then he did "Norbit" which is LITERALLY the worst movie i've ever seen. Then he did "Meet Dave" which i just thought was mediocre. Then I really liked "Imagine That", his last star vehicle that unfortunately didn't get much money. And I loved "Tower Heist" earlier last year. And as soon as I thought my love for Eddie Murphy would come back...it proves me wrong. I thought this movie could be funny and it was on spots but it couldn't make up for the mess that this movie is. This movie is very boring and almost unwatchable. And this movie was definitely made when he was doing crap like "Norbit" and "Meet Dave" because this movie has some of the most outdated jokes and references. For example, there is a scene where Eddie Murphy is meditating and is humming "Please Don't Stop The Music" by Rihanna. Another scene there is a reference to "Hannah Monatana". Last time I checked that show ended in 2010. Also there is a running joke about Eddie Murphy's ringtone (Lil Wayne's "Lollipop"). Talk about an outdated ringtone. Not just that, the movie sometimes takes itself way too seriously. It ended happy but that's honestly all i can give it. Overall, I just thought it was very boring and there's a lot of better comedies out there.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 August 19, 2012

A not so good movie

not good not good
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews June 30, 2012

A Thousand Words Movie Review

As expected poor movie from comedian Eddie Murphy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEric Paul October 4, 2013

WORST ADULT MOVIE

Teen, 13 years old Written byIloveoreo December 31, 2012

Don't bother

My dad rented this for our family to watch because Eddie Murphy is in it so he thought it would be funny. Wrong! It was terrible! The acting was bad so was the scripted, a sexy sceen in a apartment, he has a mental breakdown where he rips up hes own home. And sooooo many bad words! Don't bother.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymetallica September 2, 2012

not inappropriate, but not good either

ok, everybody is making this look like it is inappropriate for teens. but it isnt very entertaining though...
Teen, 13 years old Written byDajann June 18, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written bymrlucien July 12, 2012

A Terrible Film

By far the worst film of the year so far. Horrible, horrible emotional manipulation that's worse than anything Spielberg has even done! There is a scene when Eddie Murphy's wife takes off her raincoat. She is dressed like a prostitute, in a bra, tiny shorts, thigh-high boots and leather gloves. This scene is very provocative. The rest is just plain bad.