All member reviews for About a Boy

Edgy, sweet book-based dramedy has profanity, mature themes.

Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008

hilarious

ive seen this movie so many times and it is hilarious every time!!!
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Boring and not inspirational

I really don't even remember this very well, it was that good (sarcasm!). I remember thinking the adults were all portrayed as selfish and irresponsible and it was trying to be cute and touching but doesn't make the mark.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHappilyEverAfter April 9, 2008

It was touching...

I liked this movie because it was neat how a man who had such a different perspective in the beginning of the movie than he did when it ended. I was surprised at how much courage the little boy had when he got up on stage and basically surrendered his diginity by singing his mom's favorite song at the school concert because he wanted to make his mom happy. A great family movie even though the language is strong for a PG13 movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byswagshyguy15 December 22, 2013

Great Film

This film is pretty good. It has a bittersweet ending and doesn't flinch in the intensity of bullying and also the value of honesty. The story is original, and very well-executed.
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2013

About a boy

Very sweet comedy about friendship.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeteichert April 9, 2008

A perfect Comedy/Drama! A Triumph!

This movie, though containing strong language and mild sexual references, is a movie everyone (And I mean EVERYONE) should see at some point in their lives! ABOUT A BOY is a charming, funny film that can teach even the most mature of us a valuable lesson: Youre never too old to grow up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 October 12, 2013

Ina-pro-pro

Very inappropriate for kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 7, 2011
It was very good, however there is lots of strong language throughout. There are actually 3 F-words, not two like the review says. One of them is a little bit hard to hear, but spottable. The other two are very clear. Also, throughout there are many "bugger"s, "sh--"s, d-mn, h-ll, "bloody" (which in england is a strong profanity), and many other swear words.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2010

About A Boy

Rated PG-13 For Brief Strong Language And Some Thematic Elements
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2009
Adult Written bymoviemadness July 4, 2011

Sweet Family Movie

Known in my family as "Love Actually Lite" this film has all of the great elements of the aforementioned with much less objectionable content. It's a great stand-in for younger teens, but no less fun for people of all ages. About a Boy is just fantastic! The plot is sweet, quirky, and definitely "feel good." Perfect holiday film. As far as objectionable content goes, there is very little iffy stuff. There is an upsetting subplot involving depression and suicide, some raunchy moments, and lots of deceit and manipulation. There are clear consequences for wrong actions, lessons learned, and a feel-good ending, making About a Boy a win for teens and their families.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaya16 November 1, 2015

Great Movie that tackles tough issues

I enjoy this movie as it tackles divorce and being depressed. Many middle school boys will relate to Marcus. The movie is iffy for Tweens because the f word is used twice.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJonah_Parsons October 30, 2015

Funniest film I've seen

Some shockingly rude moments which ads to the hilariousness of the film. Watch the first ten minutes and if thats fine for your kid then the rest should be ok.
Parent Written bytaina1 October 16, 2011

I thought the movie was funny, but much different than what is written in the book. I was expecting to see more of the book in the movie, but that was not the case. I did like the ending in the movie more than I liked the ending in the book.

Be aware that there are sexual contents in this movie.
Educator Written bySaskiwi January 20, 2011
Great message for kids in that "dorky" title character doesn't conform to peer pressure, despite bullying - carries on being a dork and proud of it! Have watched it several times and always enjoy the performances by Grant, Hoult and Collette.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byAimeePiexx February 13, 2010