All member reviews for Across the Universe

Beatles musical hits strong notes amid sex, drugs.

Educator Written bylarae14 April 3, 2009

Great Music + Nudity = A "Must NOT Watch, Just Buy the Soundtrack"

Great music! But I could go without the nudity. I thought the main characters are scoundrels. I know, it's a timepiece...blah blah blah. If I'd lived in that time I would have thought people that behaved this way were scoundrels too. In fact, I know people who behave this way today and I think they act like irresponsible scoundrels too.

This is one of my top movies!

This is one of my favorite movies ever. Besides having great music and choreography, this movie had an interesting and deep storyline. It isn't just fluff. Now on to the "inappropriate" material involved in this film. 1. There is nudity. It might make some younger kids go "yuck," but I say, what is wrong with the human body? 2. The characters do drugs, drink, etc. However, I belive this is okay if your kids know that these things are bad. 3. There are a couple scenes of fighting. This is the part where you should know your kid. Will they not be bothered by this, or will they have nightmares? I think this is a great movie, but only a certain age group will enjoy it. Either you get it or you don't. Know your kid, or you might be answering questions the whole 133 minutes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byiluvKH April 9, 2008

Don't waste any time

People think this movie i great. I don't. It had pretty shots and interesting visuals but it might as well been released as a series of music videos. I've seen this story, how many times? Also it should have been rated R. There is frontal nudity. Artistically done? Give me a break. The girl rolls over in bed and shows everything. A girl in body paint shows everyting. Two people make out naked in the water. I applaud the music. The movie was horrible. Just watch three of the scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI don't have a name August 26, 2013

Very emotional; beautifully done!

This film is a work of art in every way--the singers are incredibly talented, the acting is full of emotion, and the director just went completely out of the box with this one. I do warn, though, that there is some material that may not be age-appropriate for younger audiences. There's a good amount of blatant or implied drug use---pantomiming smoking pot, drinking fruit punch laced with LSD, smoking cigarettes, war veterans becoming addicted to morphine, and many scenes with alcohol consumption--one where the characters end up passing out drunk. There's also a small bit of nudity: a couple is shown waking up in bed together with sheets covering most of their bodies, and a couple minutes of a set of underwater scenes where various nude characters are artfully placed so there is no explicit content actually shown (although you do see the side view of a woman's breasts and various rear-ends), and its purpose seems more to display the main characters' deep love for one another. The violence might be iffy for some children. There's some mild violence with maybe a punch or two, but there's also some violence where people are being physically beaten into compliance with considerable blood, war scenes showing men being shot and killed (although with almost no blood), and even one child (though his death is not shown...only the body at his funeral). The "Strawberry Fields Forever" number also uses strawberries and their juice to symbolize the bloody war going on, and some kids may find the visuals disturbing. Lastly, there are some parts of this movie that are just plain weird and may frighten younger audiences---specifically, the war protest rally at the end of the "Dear Prudence" number, where some protesters are in creepy-looking costumes, which soon after is followed by the circus number "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," which includes some strange, possibly grotesque-looking creatures (circus performers in costume), which personally scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it.....I still have to kind of look away because they just look creepy. On the positive side, it does send a good (although at times, difficult to detect) message that says to stand up for what you believe in and do what you know is right---even if it means going against the mainstream grain and authority. But no matter, I think this is a wonderful movie with real emotion that portrays part of the not-so-pretty side of the '60s and '70s using the music that defined the era. Absolutely recommended for mature kids and teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byazure July 21, 2013

Across the Universe - Watch It

This is an unbelievably incredible movie. Yeah, maybe it has things and subjects that are questionable for younger kids. But it's something that, if your child is exposed to it, will only come out better off after learning from the important themes and messages in the movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2011

Fantastic.

This is a fantastic movie. Not to metion that I am a total Beatles fan. It deals with life in the '60s and what the war did to people. At one point it the movie (SPOILER) Lucy sees her boyfriends mom at home getting a letter that says that her son died in the war, that was heartbreaking, and the basic start of Lucy in the movie. I have to admit, I thought this would be a High School Musical movie, but I stand corrected. The music and singing was not predictable, exept in one scene in the end (SPOILER) when Lucy is "in the sky".
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2010

Overall amazing! A little bit inappropriate.

My favorite movie! May be a little intense for younger kids. Characters do use drugs although kids will have no idea what they are looking at. There is a little violence although nothing kids haven't seen playing video games. The worst scene of sex is an artistic scene where the two main characters are seen naked and kissing. Nothing bad shown.
Adult Written byMature-teen September 10, 2010

An under appreciated gem

Anyone who loves the Beatles or Musicals. Possibly my favorite movie musical.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

iffy but cool

this movie was good, but not appropriate for my 8 yr old brother. there is violence: jude is beat and bloodied, war is shown, and a child dies in a riot. sexy stuff: couples are shown in bed naked, and kissing. language: S and F word. there are also drinks and drugs. i really liked this movie but its not for everyone. there are lots of weird physcodelic images and stuff. but beatles lovers and mature kids should enjoy it
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 14, 2009

Passable

This movie was different but captured its worth.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBilly Bobins April 9, 2008

a crazy but good movie

It was crazy but was a good movie. I don't know how it got the pg-13 rting though. it had drug use and alot of nudity. I think people 13 and up can take this bad content but i had to watch this with my brother.

Great movie!

First off, the nudity. Common Sense makes it look like it's a big issue, but it really isn't. To tell you the truth, there's only two (or three if you count inhuman figures with completely pale skin) scenes with nudity of any sort, and one of them doesn't show a thing. One of them does show one breast, but it's very brief. I guess if you have a problem with drawn breasts, then it might be worse, but honestly, breasts pop up in art all the time. The language wasn't that bad. A few s**ts and one f**k, but other than that, nothing drastic. Of course, this film takes place in the sixties, so there's a lot of drugs and alcohol, but it isn't really a big issue. The violence is probably the biggest issue, and to tell you the truth, it's nothing to worry about. A few scenes regarding the Vietnam war, with some blood, but no serious gore. I actually think this would be a positive experience for your children. It can really teach them a lot about music, art, politics, and love. Definitely a thumbs up.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Absolutely amazing film!

This was an amazing film. The music is mind-blowing. There is some iffy content though. There are several scenes with drugs, and some which seem to take place in drug-fueled trances. There is also nudity (some bare breasts) and some heavy kissing (nude, in bed, etc.) There are some disturbing violence scenes. Men in Vietnam, and a boy singing as people riot around him. He is later shown dead in a coffin. The movie is also emotionally challenging. Watch yourself before you have your younger teen see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycarebear<3 April 9, 2008

Not okay...

The music was wonderful but some major things that changed my mind such as the nude images (ewwww) and all the drugs and drinking i would not reccomend this movie to anyone my age
Teen, 17 years old Written bysarahlayhay March 20, 2015
There is some nudity, drugs(but you don't see it and even when the characters appear to be smoking a joint there is not an actual joint present) violence (some protests get violent)
Teen, 15 years old Written byemily_iero August 11, 2014

Consider the maturity of your child

Parent Written by915071 April 25, 2013
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe March 14, 2013

Great Beatles tribute musical

I like this film. Even though, there's a brief scene with a girl's bare breast visible, it's really awesome. That's one reason why this film is PG-13. Strong language and drugs are another reason this movie is PG-13. Still, I think the 1978 film "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is even better. Unlike this film, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is rated PG.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2011

Awesome beatles musical has some nudity and sex

This movie is a must-see. Although there is some noticable nudity in it, the nudity is focusing more on pure beauty than dirtyness. In a sex scene, it shows how beautiful love can be. There is some language, and a part were he is sketching her with her breast showing. Know the viewer. If he/she giggles at nudity and sex, you might wanna fast forward some parts. If your kid is a mature 12 year old, let them watch it. It is really good.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process March 12, 2011

A must-see if you're a Beatles fan!

This movie was not at all what I expected. I honestly thought it would be a typical love movie, but it had much more than just that. There is some nudity, but it's artistic instead of inappropriate. There are some drugs, though. If you're a Beatles fan, it's perfectly natural to criticize all of the musical numbers, especially at the beginning, but it gets much better as it goes along. It started out rather Glee-ish, but became more artful. Bono also makes an appearance! So yeah, if you're a Beatles fan, you simply can't avoid seeing this movie.