All member reviews for Act of Valor

Real-life SEALs can't save poorly made, violent movie.

Parent Written byfrancecl February 27, 2012

Fathers Bring your 12-yr Olds to this Movie!

This is a great movie, but I disagree that it is for adults only. Here’s my review of “Acts of Valor”. I wanted my son who will be 13 in two months to see it for the reasons I’ll list. Well, this caused a huge fight with my wife because a 12 yr old was going to an R movie. She did not want him seeing the violence or hearing the language—12 is too young! First let me address the language and the violence that I knew would be present with Navy SEALS. Our kids are in the world, but not of the world. I can’t help but think that the 12 yr old Jesus heard some things and saw some things that His mother probably didn’t want him to see when he wandered off to instruct the Jewish leaders, or David when he was hanging out with his brother’s killing lions, bears, and eventually Goliath, or the teenagers of the American Revolution fighting with their Dad’s for their freedom. I did tell him I don’t expect to hear those words coming out of his mouth. If we don’t lead our sons, then yes all they will do is watch Sponge Bob and play Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox. Our sons do not become men at 18 when the State says so; they start at 12-13 when their fathers lead by example. I think if our sons wait until they are 17 to see this film, it is too late. They need to see it now if they are in the 12-13 range to be that man when they are 18. What did I talk about with my son before/after the movie and what did he see modeled on the screen? Duty - always do the right thing, even if you don’t feel like it. Discipline – forming right habits everyday lead to a very effective life (and SEAL missions) Honor – seek honor not for yourself, but for God & Country Freedom – is not free. Are we Americans still willing to fight and die for our freedom? Family – Always take care of your families so the govt does not have to. US Constitution – is under attack and still worthy of our defense Liberty vs. Tyranny & Marxism – A 12 yr old can understand only so much of this but you’d be surprised how much they understand if you ask them questions. Sacrifice – It’s unnatural to give your life for someone else, but that is exactly what Jesus asks us to do. Scripture – Do we think our founding fathers just made up the constitution and liberty? No way, they are absolutely founded by Godly people who had scripture coursing through their veins. Protection & Respect for Women – As young men start noticing the opposite sex and vice versa, they need to treat the woman in their life with love & respect and not treat them as toys. Notice how the SEAL covered the woman to protect her modesty. Current threats against our country from without and within – and how he may be called on one day to fight for our freedom. I can’t help but think of Paul when he said, “When I was a child, I talked like a child, thought like a child, reasoned like a child, but when I became a man, I put away the childish things.” Going from a child to a man, is not like flipping on a light switch or crossing a calendar date. It is a process that begins at 12-13. Ever wonder why the Jewish people have a bar mitzvah at 12-13? Or why Jesus went to the temple at 12? Jesus Christ – there is no greater Demonstrator of acts of valor than our Lord. My hope is that our sons are being conformed to His image. The good, by far, outweighed the language and violence which is why we went. And as soon as it’s out on DVD, I’ll have this in my home library and Amazon cloud.
Parent Written byTeeCee March 6, 2012

Surprising, I loved it

Depending on the maturity of your 12 year old, i have no regrets about taking my son to see this movie. I hate gore and violence and often have to cover my eyes in movies. Rarely did i have to during Act of Valor. Yes, there is a ton of graphic violence but i discussed that with my 12 year old son beforehand. He knows not to use the language that he heard and that in those situations, that language is used. After seeing this movie, i was surprised to have liked it as much as i did. I went only because my son wanted so badly to see it. It is his dream to be a Navy SEAL someday. Turned out, i liked it as much as he did. When i asked his opinion of the movie afterwards, he used one word. Inspiring. I find that it made me respect, even more than i did before, all that these men do and give to protect our country. It was an honor, as an American, to see just a bit of what they are willing to take on for our freedom and safety.
Parent Written byMickel February 25, 2012

US Navy Seals not good role models? Really?

I registered just so I can throw the BS flag on giving this movie 2/5 on role models. I cannot fathom how real life US Navy Seals aren't exemplary role models. Bizarre.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLuke15 July 14, 2014

Act of Valor, this film is based on real acts of valor...and it truly is.

Where do I start! The plot of the film: The film Act of Valor (Rated R for strong violence including some torture, and some strong language) is based of the real missions of the US Navy SEALs. SEAL stands for Sea, Land, and Air. Without to many spoilers, I'll tell you the basic plot of the film: It follows SEAL Team 7 and the families. The SEALs are sent out on a personnel recovery mission and discover that it is only the beginning, as they discover a plot to smuggle suicide bombers into the US under the cover of a drug trading organization. The violence: Some would call it extreme. And it is. In a way. Remember, this is war we are watching. War isn't, nor should it be, a public spectacle. But films like this give us a glimpse into what these men and women do for us. I guarantee you that if all the violence in war was depicted in full from their perspective without all the sugar coating, it would exceed an NC-17 rating. Be thankful they serve and protect us and see the violence so we don't have to. But also be thankful for films that give that glimpse so we can appreciate the horrors they go through and pray for our service members. There is a good, but not extreme, amount of gore. Perhaps the worst gore we see is a sniper kill through the scope. We see several of these actually. Much of the combat is depicted Call of Duty style from a rifle cam. Much of it also is shadowed. There is frequent blood spatter on windows though. It's the intensity that really gets you though. It's very intense. We see many combat sequences that depict anything from hand to hand combat to SWCC boats opening fire with mini guns and 50 cals from South American rivers. Language: There are 17 uses of the f-word. It's hardly noticeable, but one is paired with mother. Throw in a handful of s-words, a racial slur (skinny) or two, a**-hole, dam* and hell and you have a considerably low swear tally for the genre. (Black Hawk Down has 37 F-words, lone survivor has 140) Sex: None except a few goodbye kisses and a few bikini clad girls. Messages and role models: You couldn't ask for better of these, the good guys are courageous, and selfless at all time and yet will stop and nothing, and I mean nothing, to protect each other and the homeland. All in all this is a must see for anyone 14 and over with their dad. Because of the content I definitely don't recommend it to anyone under 12. I saw it when I was 13 with my dad and was fine. When your 13 it's really depends, but once you reach 14 or 15, just see it with you dad. Just do, you will not regret it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjdawg55 April 2, 2012

Great Movie With Some Blood And Language.

First of all, I would like to point out, Commonsensemedia never has anything good to say about movies. I mean seriously, "Real-life Seals can't save poorly made, violent movie," with only 2 stars? I think that this is a great movie for people of most ages. If you are 13+ and have seen movies like The Dark Knight or Battle: Los Angeles, and can handle a bit of language, you should be fine with this movie. It does have around a dozen uses of f--k, and occasional uses of s--t and milder profanity like d--n a-- and h--l, but nothing more than most people have heard at school. Now, don't get me wrong, if you are a person that keeps your keeps your kids from these things, I understand that you want to protect your kids, and I respect that, but sooner or later you have to show your kids the real world. This movie shows you what happens in battle, and helps you realize what people do for our country. It has some blood, like many headshots where blood spurts, and one scene that shows a man jump onto a grenade to protect the rest of them, but it mostly just shows him fly into the air than land back down with blood pooling around him. there is one scene where a man gets shot many times, but still fires back, when another man comes in and mows down the enemy, showing many bullet holes in them. I strongly recommend this movie to teens, and mature tweens, for them to learn about the Navy Seals, so they can respect them, and realize how they help us. Overall this is a great movie, not a "Hard R," but still, blood spurts, and they do use language. Hope this review helped!
Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2012

Great Movie!

I really liked this movie! I don't understand what Common Sense was thinking....."pause" for 17 year olds? I am 12, and even though the violence is extremely realistic, a lot of quick cuts make sure the blood doesn't linger too long. Despite this, my mom kept going "Ooh!" I think the adults are more likely to react negatively to the violence. The language wasn't an issue at all because, to me, the SEALS were in an appropriate situation to holler out curses. The SEALS were very positive role models in that they would give their lives to save their squad. Near the end, there is a very sad moment that makes something click in your head: Wow. I came out of that movie with a fresh, positive perspective of the SEALs.
Adult Written by007isback February 27, 2012

Great Movie!

Jeffrey Anderson would rather have your kids see Brokeback Mountain or watch "My Dad Is Pregnant" on MSNBC as those types of characters represent Mr. Andersons ideal rolemodels for children and society.
Teen, 15 years old Written byantoineisthebest February 25, 2012

great movie

great movie csm their not actor their real soldier so shut up it's a really realistic movie
Parent Written byTexasGadget August 21, 2012

Real Valor is Biblical

This movie accurately depicts a little taste of war and true valor. Why should Christians go to war? Why should ANYONE fight? Because they love their family and country. They believe in what is right, and oppose what is wrong. This depicts true American heroes fighting for right and justice. These guys are good role models. The language is minor, especially compared to what military personnel actually say in the field, and the violence is to be expected since it is war. This violence is minor compared to the violence in the Bible, where hundreds of thousands die in battles, or in the death of Goliath, where David severed his head and carried it through the streets rejoicing. We should rejoice like this movie does at the valor, sacrifice, and victory of our soldiers. Just as our Lord Jesus died for use, standing in the gap between us and hell, these men stand in the gap for our families and freedom. They fight for what is right. Real actors would have ruined the movie. Inexperienced actors showed the realism of the battle scenes in their training, and did not detract from the movie because their battle experience increased the realism of the fake battle scenes. Actors over-react while real heroes act with true valor and courage. They might not quote lines with realism, but that's an acceptable trade-off. Other Hollywood battle scenes are unrealistic, fake, and not gut wrenching. These Seals moved me to appreciate their abilities and self-sacrificing courage. I thank them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJesusFreak62 July 8, 2012

Terrible Acting but Spectacular Action

Im just going to tell you staight up, real life SEALs are not actors so therefore dont expect good acting. On the other hand the action is very realistic with really cool POV and sniper scenes. I was on the edge of my seat throughout all of the action scenes. They were intense, bloody, and suspenseful. The only concern I have with the violence is the torture scene and the bomb scene at the first of the film where many children die. But thankfully they left it off screen. The other major concern is the language, f**k was used at lease 15 times, other words include s**t, d**n, a*s and h**l. In conclusion, there was spectacular action scenes but terrible dialogue and acting, and a cliched script. I would have to give it 3.5 stars because of the coolness of seeing the real life SEALs in action.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

Great movie

I think that parents/kids should know that it does have some strong language and some disturbing parts but it does have a great point to it. It shows navy seals serving our country. After I saw this movie I learned to respect the soldiers who serve us with more respect. At the end you will hear a poem and if you listen to the words you will agree with me.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 6, 2012

kjhgtyye

Cheap, Clunky, and Weird Real Seals Movie but has Cool Kinds of Guns but still Bad Film
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn March 4, 2012

Respect the marines, not this movie. Older Teens+ only

Act of Valor is a movie without much reason aside from mainly just posing as one very long advertisement for the U.S. Marines, which, while you can also indeed feel great respect for these men who risk there lives on dozens of occasions, to keep the country if better and proper order, does not make this movie enough to be worth paying $8.00 for. It sounds harsh, but to me, that is most certainly true. Now, aside from the real active duty marines getting there moment in the sun, there really isn't much else to this movie. The script is bland, extremely ordinary and wares very, very thin near the end. Also, acting is about as bad as you would expect, and not just from the active-duty marines, but from other side characters in the movie who are actually supposed to be really actors themselves. And, finally, the action sequences all melt down into one very, very violent and loud series of explosions, gunshots and stabbing, rendering the viewer pretty much diluted to the rest of the movie. So, with the R Rating very much well in hand, the content is pretty much about as follows: There is very frequent and very strong bloody violence, with more graphic head shots and visible wounds than I can count, but if that wasn't enough, there is even a fairly gruesome and disturbing torture scene early on in the movie to allow you to do a little extra cringing, as well. Also, there is frequent profanity, with many uses of f--k, sh-t, g-dd-mn, jesus, ass, d-mn, b-llsh-t and hell. So, if you still want to go see this movie, than I would suggest that you do it for the troops, because as for the actual movie...well, let's just say that it could have been better.
Parent Written byNativeWNC March 1, 2012

For All

To all those complaining about the movie being violent or the language consider the type of movie it is. As for the language, kids hear far more in public, at school, and yes even on the video games at home. Its not what your child sees or hears its how as parents you teach them right from wrong. Hearing or seeing wrong doesnt make a bad person, a bad person emerges when good people do nothing. I would rather have my child watch how True American heroes fight and die for our country and their freedoms as I had encourage watching something like Broke Back Mtn or others stating same sex and no faith is OK.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJack lambert June 13, 2014

the best army film a have seen because it is very realistic and

Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2014

It was OK. I loved it at first because it had real SEALs but then I realized it still didn't change the fact that it was... well, pretty sucky acting.

This movie has lots of blood especially in the torture scenes (for example, a woman's fingers are drilled off). Language isn't an issue for someone at 13 years of age or above. Sex isn't an issue either. The SEALS are good role models because they look out for each other. The acting is bad but it comes across as a pretty good movie.
Parent Written byPredatorman March 21, 2014

most realistic movie I've ever seen

Kid's definetely hear this in public, or at school, the violence can get pretty bloody but nothing extremely graphic
Teen, 14 years old Written by1republic October 3, 2013

Act of Valor-R

This movie is an amazing make. Acting could use some help (understandably). Incredible messeges about love, sacrfice, and courage. Families can talk about the torture and why wartime violence can be ok to protect those you love. Violence: VERY INTENSE, very bloody and shocking, suicide bombers, guns, grenades (a man jumps on one and is shown beeding ALOT) Language: some f-bombs, s-words d--n and h-ll, I watched this w/my dad and was fine, but I would say for most families they should think twice before letting their >15 watch this. Off for 13; iffy for 14, iffy for 15, on for 16. PARENTS THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE MOVIE!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byThatGamingCat May 29, 2013

Great, but violent.

Great but violent complex movie, in which a CIA agent is kidnapped and saved by several SEALs. This movie is very good but has alot of violence in between the language.
Kid, 12 years old May 18, 2013

:-)

One of my favorite movies of all time it has violence and blood and the occasional f--- and s--- and the characters are great role models they are an example of teamwork and sticking by each others side even if it means sacrifice