All member reviews for Adventures in Babysitting

Sitter's misadventures are mostly light fun.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bybobsax April 9, 2008

Really bad Language and sexual themes

The TV version of this is fine to watch with kids as young as 8. I wish that version was available on DVD For some reason movies of this era thought it necessary to include profanity and this one will teach your little ones all the worst ones. I was really shocked and embarrassed when I watched this with my 7 year-old. By the way at the time there was no review on CSM.
Adult Written bywonder dove October 22, 2013

FUN, Hilarious Movie for Older Kids!!

I watched Adventures in Babysitting plenty of times as a kid but most of the "bad stuff" was dubbed on TV. When I watched the actual movie, VHS and DVD, I was highly surprised at the language throughout. It definitely deserves the PG-13 rating! Elisabeth Shue plays Chris Parker, a 17 year old that takes an evening babysitting job when her boyfriend cancels their anniversary dinner. Her best friend Brenda is troubled and runs away from home. Brenda frantically calls Chris from a payphone at a bus station in down-town Chicago in desperate need of money, from there she is terrorized by creepy characters and even one with a gun. Chris has no choice but to pick up Brenda but she must take the kids along for the ride - Sara, her older brother Brad and his best friend Daryl. On the way, they get a flat tire and run into a freaky man in a giant tow truck with a hook for a hand who offers to tow Chris' station wagon and get it fixed. But that's only beginning, Chris and the kids must go through a series of hilarious events (like being chased all night by a group of men, being held hostage, singing on stage at a blues bar, kid hangs from a rope outside a large building, running into thugs on a subway, taking Brad to the hospital, running into Brad & Sara's parents at a dinner party, Chris spotting and confronting her boyfriend with another woman...and much more!) In the end, they must find their car, pick up Brenda (if she's still alive) and get home fast before the parents get back! Such a fun movie full of endless adventures!!! Language is a concern and includes the f-word at least 3 times, several uses of sh*t, b*tch, Godd@mn, Jesus. Violence includes a shooting that hits Chris's car window, a stabbing to the foot on a subway, creepy tough-guy criminals chasing the kids all night, Chris tells a story about a murderer with a hook for a hand - they later meet a man with a hook for his hand, gun shown, couple of funny fist fighting scenes, punching, a kid hangs from a rope outside a high-rise building, Brenda picks up a rat when she thinks it's a bunny (without her glasses) and later freaks out, some threatening words. Sexual content includes glimpses of a playboy magazine throughout the film (no nudity), some sex references like a college girl asks a boy to go to bed with her, quick passionate kissing scene at a party, a boy calls someone a penis, a boy comments that a girl has large breasts, a prostitute talks to a boy, a boy refers a superhero as a H0m0. There's social drinking. Okay for mature 13+ viewers!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 February 6, 2011

Not for kids under 13

I was quite surprised at the language in this movie. All swear words are found in this movie that I thought was "safe" for kids. "son of a b" is found at least five times, "Sh_t" is found at least three times, "as_hole" is found twice and "as_" is also said a couple of times, "bast_rd" is found at least once and the "F" word is used at least twice. Other words that are a concern for younger kids would be "H0m0" found 3 times, "r_pe" found once, "sex fiend" is also mentioned. "Jes_s" and "Chr_st" are also said many times throughout this movie. There are many conversations in this movie that are sex related and not for younger veiwers.

cool as ice

i haven't watched thi movie for 2 years but i still remember how laugh out loud funny it was and I also remember how confused I was since i was only 9 at the time
Teen, 14 years old Written bypenguin1200 July 28, 2013

Good for mature kids

I saw this when I was 10. My sister was 7 haha she didn't get most of it though, for some reason i did though o.o
Teen, 16 years old Written byChristian Baughman August 25, 2010

Amazing

This movie was really good! To me there wasn't anything bad in this only a little bit of language. But this the kind of movie the whole family would like.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe June 3, 2010

Well...I think this is a cute movie, but there are some pitfalls that parents need to watch out for. First of all the babysitter takes the children into the city, without permission to do so. This isn't the best lesson to teach your kids. But Elisabeth Shue is a darling actress! The children always manage to get out of the trouble they get into to. The violence can be comedic, but there's also some scenes that would scare younger children. As far a sexual content goes there's some kissing, and between a girl and someone younger than her. Playboy is mentioned often throughout the movie. You also see a prostitute proposition a young boy. Profanity wise there are a lot of inappropriate language that children and teens shouldn't be exposed to. Some commercialism, but nothing most children haven't seen just living in the real world. There's some drinking with adults and you see teens drinking at a college party. Overall 14+
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2009

very funny, if sort of inappropriate

This movie isn't meant to make you think. This movie isn't meant to tug on your heartstrings. This movie isn't made to have you on the edge of your seat. It is meant to make you laugh. And it does. The whole movie is a barrel of non-stop laughs and it is a good, fluffy movie to see at girls-night-out. However, some inappropriate content and language makes it inappropriate for anyone under 12. (me included). Overall, great move!
Teen, 13 years old Written byre-Viewer September 28, 2014

Eye-catching With Iffy Language

I've seen a lot, some iffy for my age (then again who hasn't) so honestly I'm gonna try and give a review. Ok, so on a positive note I thoroughly enjoyed this movie (DVD Version) it had humor,adventure,and many shocks. The setup was great. On to the not so good parts. First of all it all depends on what you think you can handle. There was a ton of language,yet it didn't bother me (as much as it might somebody else) only thing I could say is, I believe 2 f words and maybe one minority to the f word, that shocked me. And violence wise, it's night in Chicago (what could you expect XD) gang fights, fist fights, car chases, and a re-telling of 'The Hook' plus all that was mentioned previously. All i could say is more language then I've seen yet in a PG-13 movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE August 13, 2010

Love this movie!

I saw this movie a few weeks ago on Nick @ Nite, it's very funny and instantly became a favourite of mine. Nothing too inappropriate-- a boy gets in a weird situation in a party scene, that's probably the worst of the movie. Another boy gets stabbed in the toe on a train, and of course the kids are being pursued by another gang throughout most of the movie. Despite all that, most kids and teens will love this.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2009

It depends on what you consider appropriate.

I liked this movie when I first saw it. Although, for kids 8 and under, there is a scene where the main characters meet up with a gang and a guy gets stabbed in the toe. Plus, some guy brought a Playboy mag in the car and it was stolen from his father. I LOL'd at this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCallie00 April 14, 2015

One of My Favorite Movies

'80s movies are the best! They have the perfect amount of cheesiness, outdated things, and light fun! And of course Misadventures in Babysitting is no different. There's really no good messages and role models. A teen girl takes a kid into the city after dark at night. There's a bit of violence, but just plain old slapstick. Quite a bit of sex. Nothing is shown on-screen. But lots of sexual references, but nothing too bad any kid over the age of 11 can handle. There's some strong language, such as d-word, sh-word, a-word, and I think one or two f-words. I'll say this movie is on for kids age 11 and up. :)
Kid, 10 years old August 4, 2014

Fun movie.

Good movie for all family
Kid, 7 years old April 4, 2009

Inappropriaite for kids under six and very very funny

I love the movie it is very funny but if you want to know a part that might scare your kids a tween gets a knife super close to his foot it go's in his shoe