Exciting sci-fi action and warm father-son bonding.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 1, 2013

12 and up.

This action/adventure movie after earth is an average movie filled with action stars with will smith and his real-life son jaden smith there's not really a lot to say about this movie but the violence with that being said this action movie is good enough for your young teens but parents this movie after earth does have some Constant peril violence throughout the movie despite the violence in this film the movie does have a positive message about that Kitai's journey teaches him that only by facing your fears can you realize your full potential and the role models are that cypher is able to demonstrate his love and open his heart and mind to what his son has to give. Kitai is brave and loving and overcomes his fears. Mother Faia is an exemplar of loving support, and sister Senshi is brave and caring, saving her brother's life more than once.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson May 30, 2013

12+!

Love it. A lit a bit a language, d-mn and one more .some drinking ,cyber almost takes pain killers that would drowsy. Entirely giving his broken legs hope of rescue, but decides against it.there are some sequences of blood and gore, as when cypher must operate on his own leg Kai tai sees some baby eggs that he was not able to save.12+!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byxmen45 June 1, 2013

Awesome movie, SCARY scenes.

I actually saw After Earth yesterday, its opening day. It was a great movie with a positive message of overcoming fear and being an independent person. It was not a long movie (around 2 hours including previews) and had nothing too "iffy." Now, there were some disturbing scenes. Humans are hung with their dead body seeable. Blood is on them. You see a pile of dead gorrilas, corpses and limbs and blood splattered bodies seeable. A startling hole rips in a ship, everyone except for two were killed. A character briefly cuts an aliens head off, purple blood coming from it. A character breaks his leg and is unable to walk. You see dead baby eagles, bodies seeable. An eagle is killed. Tigers fall from a cliff, you can hear them roar in pain. In the end, a character slays an alien, graphically. In a flashback a character's sister is killed by alien. The alien sticks a blade through her back. She screams and cries. There are a million startling scenes. Although it sounds very violent, when you see, it won't feel that way for some reason. It is very slow paced but very good. There is no bad language. A character says, "This sucks." There is a use of dumb. It was a great movie, if you are ok for a chill but not a horror movie. Thank you, I hope I helped you make a decision.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper December 9, 2013

A tame PG-13 movie

This movie definitely has lots of creature violence and frightening scenes, but nothing excessively bloody or gory. There is no sexual situations and the bad language is limited to one use each of "sucks" "screwed" and "d@mn".
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytyaseer June 10, 2013

amazing

i like the movie,so amazing, but is scary for kids below 8 ,
Parent of a 10 year old Written byditzyleopard August 19, 2013

Great for mature kids, if you don't mind them seeing lots of dead bodies, fighting, and gore.

Very gory and intense movie, I'd be happy to take my teen nephew, but I'm not keen on all the gore for younger kids. Quite a lot of mature topics that I think are better understood by older audiences. I was shocked to see two young girls in the theater when we arrived, and they were both unable to stay throughout the whole movie. I'd say they were 4 and 6, maybe 7?
Parent Written byizzycoffe July 8, 2013

Just ok...!

This movie is entretaining, the plot is interesting, but that's all. It develops very slow, the most exiciting part of the movie is the end, the rest of it it's kinda boring and the acting of the main character is not that great, it can be better. It's not for kids because of the violence and some suspenful moments, for young teens and up.
Kid, 10 years old June 15, 2013

9 OR 8 AND UP

this is for 9 and up or 8 if your child does not like scary pop ups or teens getting hurt and death and this movie is very good with a good message about family
Parent Written byZebrasareawesome June 4, 2013

Good, some violent scenes

This movie is good and well made as they have to fight the remains of earth. Discusting images and a flashback where a young child witnesses his sister being torn apart by an alien.
Parent Written byafrica1 November 1, 2014

Deep/intense/strong message

Its great for the entire family, watch it more than once. Very good acting, Will and his son are great in this movie. very positive, informative. Never beleve the critics only real persons reviews.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe July 16, 2013

AWFUL!!! JUST AWFUL!!!!

The thought of a man and his son getting stuck on a quarantined planet that filled with dangerous animals and lethal perils is very, very sick!!!! I don't really think anybody should watch this film!!! Only a fool would make a movie like this!!!
Adult Written byBistromama July 2, 2013

Too violent

Common Sense Media is normally on the mark but I felt like they underestimated how violent this movie is. It was depressing and much too intense for a 12-year-old, IMHO.
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2013

Great movie for 12 and up

After Earth is a great movie for 12 and up. There are scary, gory and bloody scenes, but it has a good message. It is an action packed, intense movie that some kids under 12 would be scared of possibly. There is mild language, but it is not something to worry about. I definitely recommend the movie After Earth for at least 12 and up.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2013

AFTER EARTH IS FILM OF THE YEAR SO FAR

a fantastic movie, with tons of action and excitement. My favourite film of the year so far. I really don't think this should of gotten the bad reviews it got, like on Rotten Tomatoes giving it one star. Come on this is quality entertainment. M Night Shaymalan is a fantastic director
Teen, 15 years old Written byheyzoos February 11, 2016

will smith is the writer

plot holes....will smith is bad at writing a complete story with things to drive the plot. As far as a coming of age story, it's fine.....just fine.......dont waste ur money just watch a bootleg if u must
Teen, 16 years old Written byTV man 13245768 October 18, 2015

A WILL SMITH FILM

This movie is alright. It is about the future and it just disappointed me. There is some action. You see creepy monsters dead bodies and blood. You also see this extremely creepy part that I was not expecting to see. A girl turns evil while the kid is sleeping and she looks so SCARY. The alien monster can trick humans into having nightmares. There is not really any sex in this movie. You will only find kissing in this movie. The language is not strong at all. You only hear the words shit and hell. There is no drinking drugs or smoking so this movie would be great for children age 11 and up. Be with them because there is some frightening scenes.
Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Very violent, but great movie is OK for teens.

My rating PG-13 for: intense violence, language, and drug content.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjb223 May 13, 2014

Boring Film but exactly what you'd expect from M. Night Shyamalan

Not sure how this could get 3 Stars this should be 2 Stars at Max but even that is too generous.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie Watcher 2000 April 6, 2014

After earth, I think is a good film to watch with kids age 8+.

I think it's a great film, Where father and son are in it together, As they are in real life I recommend this movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJavier Noyola February 9, 2014

horrible

made not much sense with barely any fight scenes.