All member reviews for A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

Provocative movie suitable for teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 August 2, 2009

Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

One of the best science fiction films (and one of the most overlooked) is this 2001 feature developed by Stanley Kubrick and completed by Steven Spielberg. It is all the proof someone needs that science fition can be more than just childish fantasies or violent messes.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2010

A.I.Artificial Intelligence

Rated PG-13 For Some Sexual Content And Violent Images
Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

It touched me

I am against arificial intelligence but this movie touched me. I was a great movie and I got really into it. I felt sorry for the boy and I had to be really strong to hold in the tears at the end (It was very hard to do this, because I try to be tough but am probably very weak). It was very touching.
Teen, 16 years old Written byatom3 January 1, 2012

GRRRRRR...

oh my god everyone! stop talking about us tweens like we've never seen fricken boogie man! we CAN handle these movies! in my review, this was incredibly like Astro Boy, but very enjoyable. I just wish they had a better ending, by the creidts i was like WTF?
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Incredibly Bleak, Depressing Sci-Fi Flick.

I didn't like this film. i love Steven Speilberg's work, but this was a huge disappointment. Depressing, violent, unnesicerily sexual (a robot gigolo for cying out loud!), and ends even bleaker, this is not a film. It's a flop; a very bad flop.
Adult Written byAzad April 9, 2008

Kid, 10 years old January 11, 2015

A.I.: could be worse

A.I. is a somewhat thought-provoking Spielberg sci-fi that aims to come up with an age appropriate version of Bladerunner, but it falls short of that. The acting was great, but the storyline is cliche in places, and the ending goes on and on, as if each scene is trying to outdo the last at becoming a tearjerker . Jude Law’s charactor is, to say the least, disturbing. He starts out the flim as a male prostitute ( a robot, like many of the others in the film) who is obviously not at the height of his life, and you start to assume he is the villian of the film, but then Spielberg wants us to resonate with him and see him as a loving and gentle person as the new caretaker of the protagonist. The robots are killed in various ways, sometimes gruesomely in one scene, and there are several instances of sexual innuendo, that, while pretty tame, are still slightly eyebrow raising ( the male prostitute, named gigolo Joe, is very willing to make very crass refrences right in front of a 6 year old kid). This movie, although it offers an insightful view on what the world might be like in the near future, is not as artistic or beautiful as other sci-fi movies available.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

This is a horrible film. It is depressing, dark, and just poorly made. Parents: There's extremely upsetting material here, including abandoment of a child, a child going into a coma, a cyborg gigolo, and sad deaths. Bottom Line: Don't waste your time on this ultra-dark downer, unless, for some strange reason, you want to be sad. Thanks for reading, and sorry for the negativity - Movie Man
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

Torn!

I'm torn between wanting to watch this movie, and staying away completely. It sounds good overall, but reading the review has given me pause to maybe rethink my decision.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byshalimar September 17, 2009

Not acceptable for any but the oldest and most thoughtful teenagers

As an adult, I loved this move. Although the theme and situations are beyond what younger children and even most teenagers should be exposed to, the issues and the moving performances may give older teenagers pause to think about the deeper issues of life. Yes, all of the major characters are white, but it is a black woman who asks the question that resonates throughout the rest of the movie: If we give reach the point where we can give artificial intelligence the ability to love, what is our duty to that machine, which is then more than a machine? By extension, we can ask ourselves what our duty is to our own children. We can think about the importance of our role as parents. And we can think about the power of love to set the course of a life and to reach forward for generations. It's definitely not your typical Hollywood happy ending.
Teen, 14 years old Written by2jayz May 17, 2015

Ridiculous and drawn out!

The first hour of this movie was good and entertaining. After that, things got ridiculous and it was way, way, way too drawn out. Violence- 5/10. Robots are discriminated against and killed. Sex- 5/10. Lots of sexual themes although nothing is shown. Language- 3/10. A couple swear words.
Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 30, 2014

Movie

I think this should be PG-13 for sexuality and crude topics and mild violent and crude scenes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

ai artificial intelligence

mecha, but on the part of the orga (humans) as well. Families can talk about whether what David feels is love, and Dr. Hobby's real reason for creating him. Is there any way to make a robot "real?" If the movie is about making a machine that can feel, why is the title "Artificial Intelligence?"
Adult Written byYogiBear93 December 28, 2011

love this movie one of my favorites

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn December 14, 2011

Overlooked Spielberg gem could be very depressing for tween's

Steven Spielberg's often overlooked sci-fi gem and personal tribute to the late Stanley Kubrick, A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, is still a a good sci-fi movie even over tens years after it's initial release. Sure, it doesn't hold up as well as some other movies that came out the same year as A.I. did back in the summer of 2001, but it still ends up being just as engrossing, entertaining, heartwarming and ultimately sad as it initially was. Spielberg had created a real love letter to all things Kubrick when he made this movie, and it really shows in the directors work, here. The movie is mostly Rated PG-13 for just a few things: Infrequent but very graphic scenes of extremely realistic-looking robots being mutilated, brunt and dismembered in some of the most gruesome ways that you could possible do it, infrequent sensuality with a aftermath of a sex scene and some crude dialog as well. Finally, the least of the movies problems, is some infrequent but moderate profanity here and there. So, Steven Spielberg lovers should probably give it another watch if you haven't done so recently, and if you haven't seen it, than certainly check it out: While it is far from Spielberg's best movie, it still holds up decently well on it's own two robotic (ha ha) feet.
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2009

good story of a rodot wanting love

good movie sad at end
Written byAnonymous November 10, 2009

This film is pretty much a love-it-or-hate-it film. I am a love it person. It is my favorite film rated PG-13, and one of my all-time favorites. Even those who hate it will have their heart captured in the final scenes, and those who love it will find the gigolo's electromagnetic misfortune favorable. And you just have to love Teddy. Watch it, buy it, watch it again, and tell the world how much you love it on this site. This is a new Blockbuster classic.