All member reviews for Akeelah and the Bee

Inspiring drama about a champion speller; OK for tweens.

Kid, 10 years old April 17, 2011

Great!!!

Good movie. It's very educational because you can learn the words when she (Akeelah)learns them. Her backstory is a little scary but other than that it's great!!
Kid, 8 years old March 9, 2010

Normal drama

One kiss. One s-t, hell is common.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. March 19, 2010

Heartwarming movie that's awesome for the whole family . . .

Honestly, this is one of my absoulte favourite movies, because it touches on everything, including a kid who beats all the odds to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It's heartwarming, charming, funny, and the perfect mix between a documentry and a drama/ comedy. It's a great movie with great messages that being smart can have power to change your life and the others around you.
Kid, 8 years old June 30, 2010

cussing dumb movie that gets made a big deal of on disney channel

i cannot belive this movie they make such a big deal about on disney say s word!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 July 12, 2011

Inspirational Movie

Good movie that's inspirational and really good for young kids.
Kid, 8 years old August 17, 2010

It was so good!

This is a great movie for 8+.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillycomb March 23, 2011

mainly perfect for everyone, especially spelling bee contestants

I liked this one extra because I myself have been to the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Akeelah tied with her rival because she got serious and spelled her way in to win.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2010

Awesome Movie!

I love this movie!It's educational because it talks alot about spelling ,it has a very positive message,and Akeelah is an awesome role model.I think this is an amazing movie for 5+.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 1, 2010

an inspriring story about a girl who loves to spell

I saw this movie not to long ago and it is very good and teaches kids to follow there dreams. The story is about an 11 year old girl named Akeelah Anderson who lost her dad beacause somebody had shot him when she was 6. Shortly after his death Akeelah learns that she loves spelling and is very good at it. At age 11 she tries out for her schools spelling bee and then moves on to another one of course her goal is to get 1st place at the spelling bee in washinton D.C. Through all this she exsperinces love, sadness, and a bigger wile to spell. The content in this movie is pritty much age apropreat for the age it's amed at (8 and up) There some iffy stuff like Akeelah begins to like a boy and he likes her back. They share 2 kisses on the check and in the middle of the film the boy akeelah likes makes a sexual non- ofensive joke that mekes Akeelah laugh. there is also some iffy mild language and peoeple talk about people who have died. Overall great movie i recomend it! PS: the movie is also pritty educational 2. It taught me to spell words i never thought i could spell.
Kid, 11 years old November 7, 2009

its a classic

i think this is a great movie it is really inspiring and loving! it makes u so happy and so sad its like ur in the movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byalia purplerose July 16, 2009

perfect for all ages which are under 16

i likeed it and the massage in it is clear and with a positive meaning!! my brother liked it he is 8 years old
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Kid, 9 years old April 29, 2011

Perfect for all ages, but young viewers may not understand, but fun for family!! :)

This movie was shown on Disney Channel once and when I saw it, I knew it that it was perfect for ALL ages.. The film was actually great, and our family watched it. It helps to be educational because after all it takes place at a Spelling bee right? I just loved the way the boy stalled ( I quite can't remember the name) for Akeelah at the spelling bee.. That was great teamwork! Her backstory, just like what auntie peepa said, was a fault and sad, but other than that, it was typically GR8!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 March 7, 2011

Fine for kids

I have seen this movie several times. It's alright, but I think it has good messages about accepting yourself, because at first Akeelah didn't want the school to know how good she was with spelling, because she was trying to fit in. But she begins to show her true self later on. There aren't too many concerns here; the violence is just about people who have died (offscreen), the sex is limited to kissing, the language is mild, and there isn't much drinking/smoking.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2010

i l-o-v-e-d i-t!
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byH2Clark November 23, 2010

We were on the edge of our seats!

I liked that his movie was a drama and not a cartoon, or comedy for kids. This movie had all of us on the edge of our seats at the very end. My 6yo lost interest and was playing on the iPod by the end of the movie. But for my 8yo and husband we loved this and will be watching it again. The language mention of s!@t at the beginning was quick and nothing my kid haven't over heard from other adults!
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 6, 2010

Great movie, positive messages! Inspiring story of a girl from bad circumstances who rises above them to achieve her goal. A must see for families.
Kid, 9 years old July 27, 2010

Disney Channel version recommended for younger audiences

This movie is a clean family movie for most, however, if you have kids younger then 8 (CSM's target age), check out Disney Channel and see when they are playing it.
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2010

Good for 6+

This is a great movie . It tells about 11 year old Akeelah , Who is a good speller. Just Watch it . :)