All member reviews for Akira

Extremely violent classic introduced anime to Westerners.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPonyo Fan May 23, 2013

Anime classic; some mature content but rated WAY too high.

This is a five-star anime classic film, and it is not "iffy for 17-year-olds". Are you serious, now? This was originally rated 12 in the UK! I won't say this film is without mature content though. Violence: Lots of explosions, gunfights, and yes, the infamous arm explosion everyone talks about; however, it is all moderate. The one scene I'd classify as "graphic violence" though is a quite gory scene in a hospital in which a doctor and guards are mangled to death through telekinesis. There is very visible gore during this scene, so I'd say "know your kid" when it comes to that scene, or perhaps fast forward. Sex: A girl is attacked by a gang; they tear her shirt, and her breasts are visible for a second or two. It's not erotic in any way or played for laughs. Language: It really depends on the dub. The Pioneer dub released in 2001 (and a bit easier to find) has a scene in the beginning in which a character yells "Aw, f***!", but the original Streamline dub does not contain any spoken F-bombs. Both dubs and the Japanese versions contain sprinklings of mild language such as "d**n", "hell", and "a**", as well as a scene in which someone has graffiti-ed "f*** you" in the background; it's a very blink-and-you-miss-it shot though. Drinking, Drugs, & Smoking: Some characters drink and smoke, but it's hardly worth mentioning.
Parent Written byDekker September 10, 2013

Complex story with mature themes. Broke new ground for North American audiences.

Definitely not for the younger crowd. Fisticuffs, clubbing, gunfights, fascism, domestic terrorism, political coups, military invasion, religious upheaval, pills and smoking, high-speed racing, telekinesis, gore, loss of self-control, and the nature of "being" - you'll see them all in this movie. If you are not ready for those themes you'll want to steer clear. But if you are mature enough to take things in stride, this movie will take you into some interesting territory. The lead characters are put into some interesting situations, and many interesting discussions can be had about why they took the paths they chose, and what might have been some alternate paths to consider. I saw this many years ago on the big screen and have since owned a couple versions of the movie. The movie definitely stands up to the test of time and is still relevant today, but you should bide your time before watching it.
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2013

Akira

Great movie!but it is confusing, I'd suggest watching multiple times.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 November 1, 2013

Revolutionary sci-fi anime has more disturbing imagery than violence.

I can definitely agree with CSM that this movie introduced anime to the U.S. What I cannot agree on is their rating for it. Yes, there's a fair amount of violence (guns, motorcycle crashes, gangs, blood, riots, ect.) and mild language (In the Pioneer/Animaze dub, f**k and s**t are each used once but there's plenty of d**ns and h**ls). And yes there is brief female toplessness, but like CSM pointed out, it's in a non-sexual (but violent) connotation. However, the main things parents should be concerned about are Tetsuo's disturbing hallucinations after he becomes possessed by Akira (some long time fans may disagree on how I summarized that but I've only seen this film once). It starts with a scene where he lands on his hands and knees and all of a sudden, his guts spill out of his body (in Tetsuo's mind). This happens for a split second but it's still shocking. There's also the aforementioned "stuffed animals" scene and a VERY disturbing mutation scene (To provide more specifics would be a major spoiler). Other than that, I say iffy for 15+ because even though the hallucinations can get shocking, this isn't the most violent animated film out there (I haven't seen Ghost In The Shell, but my friend has and he says it's WAY more violent than this.) and there's little in the way of sexual content (CSM gave the anime classic Ninja Scroll the same rating as this and it has a fairly graphic sex scene). It's too much for young teens, but older teen and adult anime fans will really enjoy this movie. Personally, I would recommend getting the 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray rerelease.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 29, 2013

This Violent Anime Is Fine For Your Fourteen-Year-Old

This incredible anime film has much violence. There is blood when people are hit, stabbed, or shot. I'd like to note that it is just a brief spray of red, and is never overly gruesome. There is mild language- p*ss, d*mn, h*ll, the like. There is one scene in which a character's organs fall out, but it is less than a couple of seconds, and they look more like spaghetti than anything. In the ending scene, a character begins growing massive amounts of flesh, (actually, it's kind of hard to describe, but you'll see) which is pretty disgusting, and very elongated. Just for that, I upped it a year. If your kid is interested in science fiction or anime, expect them to become interested in this movie. If they're 14 or up, it's okay for them to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJustin Rivera December 23, 2014

A Poetic Masterpiece.

Katsuhiro Otomo's visually magnificent modern anime epic is quite possibly one of the most mature animated films of all time, carrying themes regarding evolution, the lack of limits on modern science, and the origin of life and the universe. But just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for younger kids. This film is amazingly violent, at some points the violence is borderline nightmarish. We're talking loss of limbs, people exploding, people being crushed, people being shot, people losing large amounts of blood, a person having half of his face blown off, the infamous mutation scene that takes place toward the end of the film, and the list goes on and on. It's so violent it's shocking. I've seen much worse but it's still pretty graphic. The language is pretty salty, but barely any uses of "f--k" or "s--t." If you've seen "Kill Bill" you can handle this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe game breakdown August 30, 2014

Good anime pales in comparison to the manga.

This anime is good, it has a good story and great animation, but it is very flawed. Many people have already talked about how good this anime is, so I will point out it's problems instead. The biggest problem with this anime is that it's story is very condensed, the reason for this is that it is based on a manga that is over 2,000 pages long, and the movie's length is 2 hours. The other big problem is that it left out the best characters in the manga, and the good characters that they left in had every good quality taken out of their personality. Now that I have discussed the quality of this movie, I will discuss the offensive content within. Violence: 10/10 This is an extremely violent anime that deserves its R rating. Throughout the course of the movie, many people are crushed, disintegrated, dismembered and shot. Profanity: original dub 0/10 There is no profanity in this version. modern dub: 5/10 Some very infrequent strong language. Sex: 5/10: There a scene where a teenage girl is almost raped, they tear off her shirt, leaving her completely topless, this is very brief. Total explicit content: 20/30 Recommended to people ages 17 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAzulDemonio July 26, 2014

Absolute Classic With Some Disturbing Scenes

Akira is one of the greatest pieces of art to have ever been created, and that is shown with its film adaptation. It gifted western audiences with their first real taste of anime, and changed the way people saw film forever. Akira follows the story of Kaneda and Tetsuo, two gang members and best friends, who get caught up in Neo-Tokyo's experiments with the power of gods. It tells the story of betrayal and power, with very shakespearean storytelling. Toward the end of the film the imagery used to represent the key message does get very intense, and at times quite disturbing. I'd say that it all depends on what you're child has seen in the past that decides whether they're ready for this, but ultimately the main reason for its high age rating is that the story itself is very confusing, and might just bore younger viewers. Its a classic that needs to be seen, but depends on the maturity of the viewer.