All member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

All-new 3-D Alice story is trippy and intense.

Adult Written byFantasyMan April 8, 2010

Great movie. I will be buying the DVD

Loved it so much had to see it twice. The second time in 3D. Really fun movie and that is why I love fantasy's. Others bore me and this kept me entertained. A bit too slow in the beginning but they had to set the story. The colors are so vibrant they jump out at you, in both 2D and 3D. Very good plot. I was half expecting another over the top Tim Burton story and his overdone(boring) horror plots and characters but this was a very pleaseant surpirse. I believe he was meant to make this movie and it shows what he can be capable of if he gets serious. Great casting and humorous moments intertwined helped make it very enjoyable. All actors did a great job but I have to say I was most impressed with the head henchman to the Red Queen, Stayne (Crispin Glover.)
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjaywdet March 7, 2010

7 year old:

Quote from my 7 year old boy: "I think Disney's Alice in Wonderland is WAY better." This movie frightened my 7 year old. This is a kid who begs to watch Star Wars movies, and Ben 10 alien force. He watches Scooby Doo as well and isn't clueless when it comes to monsters in movies, and cartoons. I regret taking him and should have known better, since this is a Tim Burton movie. As for adults, there is plenty of eye candy, but that is about it. The story is boring. There is one message or theme in the movie, that isn't uncommon for Burton, and in my opinion is inappropriate. This is the idea that it's a virtue to be 'a little off your rocker', odd, strange, etc. Nothing wrong with many counter culture movements, but before you start filling kids heads with ideas about why 'its good to be part of the strange crowd', let's help them understand why being part of mainstream culture, is important. This theme is pretty blatant in my opinion as Alice is being asked to adhere to a stringent aspect of her culture. While we applaud her rejection of this, we should not so because she is 'weird or different', or above the rest, or because she is a counter culture champion. This wasn't Burton's intent. I believe he wanted to show Alice as an individual, who was strong and made her own decisions, and didn't abandon her culture in rebellion. However, this is the point, a 7 year old won't see it this way, he sees that "weird is cool", "insane is OK". Most 15 year olds will have a hard time pulling Burton's intent out of this movie. They'll take the "weird" and leave the rest behind.
Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written bymommalaurie March 16, 2010

Just like the book, this movie is dark, strange, and wonderful!

I loved this movie! And if I had to choose who the director would be, Tim Burton is the only one that should have been on the list. The movie, just like the book, is dark, strange and wonderful! 3D only makes it even more mysteriously fun!! BUT I agree it is not appropriate for very young children. I also think kids between 7-9 should read the book before seeing the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity March 5, 2010

Pandora was so 2009; welcome to Wonderland. See in 3D!

All the best people, even the critics, are a little bit mad. I'm not a huge fan of all the criticism given to Tim Burton's awesome reimagining/sequel of one of my favorite books of all time. And indeed, those expecting a straight adaption of Lewis Carroll's novel will be disappointed, as will those expecting an Avatar-scale epic. But, if you're into Tim Burton or Johnny Depp...you absolutely have to see this. No joke. Anyways, this entire spectacle takes place 13 years after the events of the book. Alice is now a young woman about to propose to a man (against her will). However, Alice sees the White Rabbit, goes down the rabbit hole, and goes into Wonderland...but it's not the same. The Red Queen (played brilliantly by Helena Bonham "Off With Her Head" Carter) basically controls all of Wonderland now, and it's up to Alice and all her old friends (the Cheshire Cat [STEPHEN FRY, WOO!], Tweedledee and Tweedledum [TWO MATT LUCASES?], the hookah-smoking caterpillar [YES, IT'S ALAN RICKMAN], the dormouse [THE GIRL FROM THE DOCTOR WHO SPINOFF], and Bayard the bloodhound [TIMOTHY SPALL, WOO!]) to find out her true destiny: slay the Jabberwocky. In terms of content, this film is right at Star Wars levels in the PG spectrum. There's some stylized violence and gore, including a beginning skirmish between Alice and the Bandersnatch (causing Alice to get three scratches on her arm, which get worse and then better), an eye gouging (not graphic), a moat full of blood (and disembodied heads, of course, since it's the Red Queen we're talking about here), some disgusting ingredients in a potion, and a beheading (again, not graphic, and it involves an animal). The word "bloody" is used a few times. Finally, you do notice that it's rated PG for "a smoking caterpillar", right? It's just a hookah, and it's only used in a few scenes. Overall, Tim Burton's latest film is simply a wonder to behold, and I would be happy to go to either Pandora or Wonderland if the 3D worlds imagined by James Cameron and Tim Burton were real. Don't listen to the critics' bad reviews. Just see it.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2011

I LOVE THIS MOVIE ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2010

Not the best

the cartoon is way better. i never thought it would be that horrible, everyone else thought it was great. the movie was just weird
Teen, 15 years old Written byJemmy June 2, 2010

I absolutley adore this film, and it is now my favorite movie. My mother took me and four of my friends to see this in the movie theaters the day after it came out. I would have liked to see it in 3D, but 2D was still spectacular. My mom also enjoyed the film and persuaded the rest of my family to see it. They saw it the next day and loved it, obviously. What's not to love? This film puts a twist on the classic tale and is basically a remake of the original Disney animated version, which I thought was absurd. I love Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, and Helena Bonham Carter, and this movie rocked with all of them, although it's the Red Queen (Carter) that steals the show. This movie has positive messages: believe in yourself, never give up, pay no heed to other people and what they say about you. Do what you want to do in life, and nothing that you believe is impossible. Also, the new song 'Underground" by Avril Lavigne that played at the end credits was great. You can watch it on Youtube. Danny Elfman was once agan magnificent with his music, and the set and costumes were superb. This is a great fantasy-family adventure that is on DVD just in time for summer! My only complaint is the violence. Only one or two scenes made me feel queasy: The scene where the Doormouse sticks his pin into the Bandersnatch and pokes his eyeball out, and the scenes where severed heads of the victims of the Red Queen are shown floating in the moat. Other than that, this movie was glorious, magnificent, and fantastical. SEE THIS MOVIE! I heartily reccomend it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bysmith1022 March 12, 2010

Too violent & scary, my kids will see it after they're 10 (I loved it tho)

The scary creatures are too scary, the fall down the hole and some of the chase scenes are too intense for my little ones under 10. Both beheading scenes would have caused nightmares at our house. The jabberwocky and the cat creature were both far too scary, as was the queen and knave most of the time. I however totally loved it, as a grown up. But even the 3D animation was a bit too intense for me, things being thrown or flung at my face a lot of the time.
Kid, 11 years old September 22, 2010

Some violence

It was a little gross at some scenes. There was a scene where a mouse scooped an eye ball out of the beast thing, and it showed all of that scene, so it was creepy and grose.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKforKitty101 January 3, 2011

One of the most overrated movies in the world

I heard a lot of good reviews about this movie, but when I rented it, I was let down. I mean, I've seen worse, but this movie wasnt really enjoyable. It had a strange, unusual premise, and it felt like it was trying too hard at times to be a good movie. I guess Johnny Depp did a pretty good job as the Mad Hatter, but-ya. C-.
Teen, 17 years old Written byross.allen May 2, 2010

Great for Older Kids

This movie was exceptionally funny. There are continual stark images throughout the film that may be disturbing to younger children along with a striking level of violence that seems out of place in a Disney movie. The positive messages "be true to yourself", have bravery and entertain a lively imagination were all three expounded upon beautifully, which counteracted the negative effect of the violence quite sufficiently. Again, I stress DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SHOWING THIS FILM TO YOUNG CHILDREN. Tim Burton's nightmarish imagery is intriguing and artistically appreciable for older youth, but will disturb the young and the sensitive.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. May 22, 2010

Weak-ish plot, but graphics make the movie!

I went to see Alice In Wonderland today, finally, and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it in 3D! It was clearly meant for 3D, and the animation would have been amazing in it, but it was still pretty good in 2D. It wasn't exactly humorous, but it did have it's laughable moments like when the Red Queen says "I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet". It was a surreal twist between Twitches, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Shrek, oddly enough. The plot wasn't edge-of-your-seat, but the grapics really made the movie. Alice In Wonderland definitely has some positive role models such as Alice herself, who is basically a girl power, butt kicking young women who goes against the advice to "marry when you still have a gorgeous face" and accidently falls down the rabbit hole to Underland, and ends up being a hero for slaying the Jabberwocky. This movie might be a tad scary for more sensitive kids and tweens, especially in 3D, but most teens could probably handle it. Also, Johnny Depp= GOLDEN in this movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypercyjacksonroxmysox June 25, 2010

The Best Movie Ever!

I absolutely loved this movie! Though it is a little intense and scary at parts, it all plays out well in the end. The CG is really good, though some things are really obviously fake. The only concern I'd have for younger children is that Stayne is a little bit sexual.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover1996 June 28, 2010

this movie is pretty scary for younger kids, a lot of violence, especially at the end.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittleRedRiding... March 24, 2011

Great!

I love this movie! It's so good! I don't really get why some people said this movie is too dark....it's really weird. This movie is an amazing version of Alice in Wonderland. I loved it! Tim Burton has done it again!
Kid, 9 years old June 26, 2010

not good for tweens or teens but kids from 9-15 might like ir better

I liked the movie and i watched it in 3d and it was the greatest movie i ever watched!! My 21 yr old cousin watched it with me and said it was ok.
Adult Written by4Spice August 20, 2010

a real classic

i watched this movie a dozen times and i still love jonny depp was great a good family movie 8 and over for very very mild action watch it it worth it
Adult Written bylisa05 June 16, 2010
Parent of a 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 year old Written byWondermom of fi... February 14, 2011

I made the mistake of not seeing this movie before showing it to my daughters, aged 9-14. My concerns follow. It begins with ugly images of marriage. Within the first few minutes, my younger girls see a married man making out with someone who isn't his wife. Sorry, it's not just "a kiss" as the CSM review says. Forget the jaded attitude of today's culture; at their age, I was watching "Wizard of Oz," which couldn't be farther from featuring such an adult issue. Alice seems too young to be married and it's something she's being pushed into by the very people who should care for her. (Here we go again, yet another movie where the child is smarter than the parent or, in this case, the older sister, too.) The man who would seem a suitable spouse for her doesn't really love her. And he's not good looking. (Why can't she reject a good looking guy?) Her elderly aunt, who wished to be married, never experienced it and is insane because of her loss. Not exactly the marriage-related messages I want to send to my daughters. There are issues with modesty: once Alice falls down the rabbit hole, she's not seen with her back or shoulders covered again, until the armor scene. Her dress literally hangs off of her, as if she had been assaulted. Preceding these images are Alice's sullen and defiant response and disobedience to her Mother wanting her to wear a corset and stockings. The corset is a bit much, but the stockings seem a small request. Alice's equivalent in present day is the daughter who wears a mini skirt when her parents ask her not to, or perhaps she'll get a tattoo against her parent's wishes. Do we really need young girls admiring or seeing as brave this kind of defiance? Last, in the end, our brave Alice chooses a corporate career over marriage and motherhood. Yes, it's good to see her exercise her options, but my daughters receive enough messages in the popular media directing them away from marriage and toward careerism, money and staying single to avoid responsibility. My point is that, had she rejected marriage only because Hamish wasn't suitable to her, that would have been enough; it seemed to me that the marriage vs. career message was heavy handed.
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

IOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love it!ASOME people BUY it watch it!