All parent member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 7, 2010
Amazing! By far my favorite portrayal of Alice in Wonderland. I thought that making Alice older and putting the twist into it brought the story to life in a uniquely brilliant way! Johnny Depp was, as always, one of the best characters. His Mad Hatter was unbeatable. Of the two queens I actually preferred The Red Queen. Even though she's 'the evil queen' I found her character much more likeable than Anne Hathaway's fairly creepy White Queen. Alice herself is a charming mix of disbelief and willingness to believe, although she's convinced herself it's all a dream. The scenes are beautiful and this is a masterfully put together movie.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLauraJF September 14, 2010

fun movie, possibly scary for sensitive kids

I really liked this movie, there were a couple of scenes (fights) where my daughter closed her eyes - thinking it might get too gross - happily it wasn't anything she couldn't handle, and a major injury "heals" before the movie ends
Adult Written bybandapanda September 2, 2010

Awesome movie

I thought is was a well made movie. I just think that kids under the age of thirteen shouldn't see it because some of the creatures may frighten them a bit if they are easily scared by odd creatures.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bykmpixi August 22, 2010

Great movie, better than the animated version.

I loved it! I wasn't ever a huge fan of the animated version so I didn't think I would really care for this one either but I did. Some scenes/creatures may be a bit disturbing for young kids but the story and characters were great! Tim Burton was a great match to put a new spin on Alice in Wonderland.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 15 year old Written byLittle Women August 21, 2010
Adult Written by4Spice August 20, 2010

a real classic

i watched this movie a dozen times and i still love jonny depp was great a good family movie 8 and over for very very mild action watch it it worth it
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 14, 2010
PG for mild violence.
Educator Written by21stCenturyTeacher August 11, 2010

A fairly tale turned zombies!!!

It was a great disappointment for me. Why did the main characters all have dark eye circles like zombies? Not recommended for kids younger than 13.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bysqueediebeebert August 2, 2010

GIRL POWER CONQUERS (and it's a beautiful thing for your girls!)

Alice is a brilliant role model for young tweens and teens. In the film she learns to have confidence in herself and her own decisions, despite family pressures and being unsure in a safe land. She has a strong sense of right and wrong, and holds herself accountable for making things right that she herself feels she had a role in when the situations "went wrong". Brilliant film, a little dark, but when compared to what's on tv and in video games these days, the strong role model messages ride triumphantly into the sunset!!
Parent Written byMrBoo July 18, 2010

Parent of a 9 and 16 year old Written byhappy egg June 28, 2010

perfect for kids!

I LOVE IT !
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byweplayd2day June 16, 2010
Beautifully made movie for kids and adults alike. I am surprised by the yellow 10 rating for kids, as I am very consciencious of what my children see, and this I believe would be a good fit for a green 8 and older rating. Teen boys may not appreciate the movie though.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byjoannaguerra June 15, 2010

Great picture, but older than 8 is probably best.

Tim Burton is an acquired taste for the younger sect. My kids happen to love it. There were a few topics I wasn't really expecting to have to discuss with my kiddos, but found ourselves doing so throughout the film. We did have to speak to Alice's pallid appearance and the insinuation that she was very ill and, therefore, hallucinating, and what that all means. We also had to talk about arranged marriages (of sort) and societal expectations. And we had to talk about madness/insanity/being a little off kilter, and why that's ok or not ok depending upon the person and the situation and the extent. But there were a ton of great lessons about personal strength, loyalty, friendship, love, sibling rivalry, trust, forgiveness. Overall, though, unless your children are over 11, I would plan on incorporating lots of stop and start time in order to properly explain scenes or language. The characters, it should be noted, were endearing, memorable, and worthy of both Lewis Carroll and Tim Burton.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written bybdnorto June 11, 2010

OK if your kids understand fantasy violence

Adult Written byCoffeeTable June 7, 2010

Terrifying for tweens, Great movie!

I LOVED this movie. I think it should be taught as a film study in school with all the main character in the real world having a place in Underworld. The colour changing with the different tones, the split personality of the Mad Hatter, The idea of the red and white queen and their different reigns, the small references back to the Disney movie and the book itself. Everything is this movie was placed, coloured, accented, added for a Reason! That being said it is Violent and Terrifying for anyone under 13. I was quite surprised (but I loved) in the direction that it took as Alice is 19 and off to be married. The story is about finding yourself, making your own decisions and facing up to what you have to do instead of running away. The whole Point of the caterpillar is trying to find comfort in who you are and not letting other people tell you who you Think you are. As most of the reviews on here are from the younger audience I think the reason they hated it, is because they didn’t understand it. And that is why I give it a rating of 15 and above. It also references a lot of the 2 books and the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland which is where it gets most of its laughter. So if you didn’t read/see the previous items you will not hear/see the humor.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 6, 2010

Not for the little ones

This movie had many intense and frightening scenes including a creature getting its head chopped off and another getting its eye gorged out.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bywillowfaierie June 6, 2010

The violence!

I will NOT LET MY KID WATCH IT!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byKrisSurvej June 6, 2010

Amazing

It was amazing,me and my son liked the movie
Parent Written bychima45 June 5, 2010