All parent member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Parent of a 10 year old Written byLauraJF September 14, 2010

fun movie, possibly scary for sensitive kids

I really liked this movie, there were a couple of scenes (fights) where my daughter closed her eyes - thinking it might get too gross - happily it wasn't anything she couldn't handle, and a major injury "heals" before the movie ends
Adult Written bymarilyn.coleman... February 26, 2010

great fantasy movie

Parent Written byskylivmom March 14, 2010

Wasn't as dark and twisted as I expected. My 10 yr-old daughter and her 9 yr-old friend both found it fun and a great adventure. It was really more fun and whimsical. Even the "evil" folks were likable because they were hilarious and human, and the mad hatter was masterfully played by Depp. He was mad, yes, but also so lovable.
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byCrackles March 10, 2010

Fine for teens, but not for littlies

I enjoyed the movie, but feel it's too mature for my children (8yrs & 2yrs). I feel it is more appropriate for teens, perhaps some pre-teens (maturity dependant), and fine for adults. It seems a little 'dark' at times, but hey, every hero needs something to vanquish!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHipmamaofjohnny March 8, 2010

Good message, tad too violent

Adult Written bySarah Grace November 19, 2010

JUST READ MY REVIEW

There were some dramatic violence scenes. But the most disturbing things were #1 The belief that all things are possible WITHOUT God, which was the moral of the story. (Jesus said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.") Hence, there are things that are impossible for humans. But if it is God's will, no matter how impossible it sounds, it is NOT impossible. #2 The White Queen was a witch... like throwing things like fingers and spit in a pot and making Alice drink it as a potion, and # 3 At the end Alice drinks some of the Jabberwocky's blood in order to come back to the real world.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

Not as enjoyable as I thought it would be...

This trippy, scary Alice update wasn't really that great, but that's just me. Just so you know, I am not a fan of Tim Burton, despite a few of his films, such as The Nightmare Before Christmas. Parents: There are several scary and wierd sequences involving monsters, murderers, and even a blood-and-head-filled moat. Bottom Line: Best find another film for the family to watch, and, yes, the rating is extremely specific because there is a smoking caterpillar. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bykmpixi August 22, 2010

Great movie, better than the animated version.

I loved it! I wasn't ever a huge fan of the animated version so I didn't think I would really care for this one either but I did. Some scenes/creatures may be a bit disturbing for young kids but the story and characters were great! Tim Burton was a great match to put a new spin on Alice in Wonderland.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 15 year old Written byLittle Women August 21, 2010

Educator Written by21stCenturyTeacher August 11, 2010

A fairly tale turned zombies!!!

It was a great disappointment for me. Why did the main characters all have dark eye circles like zombies? Not recommended for kids younger than 13.
Parent Written byMrBoo July 18, 2010

cha ra j!
Parent of a 9, 11, 12, and 15 year old Written byGLRRDR July 12, 2010

PERFECT FOR TEENS

GREAT MOVIE,ONLY CONCERN, THE QUEENS ATTITUDE! :(
Adult Written byCoffeeTable June 7, 2010

Terrifying for tweens, Great movie!

I LOVED this movie. I think it should be taught as a film study in school with all the main character in the real world having a place in Underworld. The colour changing with the different tones, the split personality of the Mad Hatter, The idea of the red and white queen and their different reigns, the small references back to the Disney movie and the book itself. Everything is this movie was placed, coloured, accented, added for a Reason! That being said it is Violent and Terrifying for anyone under 13. I was quite surprised (but I loved) in the direction that it took as Alice is 19 and off to be married. The story is about finding yourself, making your own decisions and facing up to what you have to do instead of running away. The whole Point of the caterpillar is trying to find comfort in who you are and not letting other people tell you who you Think you are. As most of the reviews on here are from the younger audience I think the reason they hated it, is because they didn’t understand it. And that is why I give it a rating of 15 and above. It also references a lot of the 2 books and the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland which is where it gets most of its laughter. So if you didn’t read/see the previous items you will not hear/see the humor.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byDenverMom March 22, 2010

A little too violent, but strong girl power message

Great movie for female empowerment. I'll take my 9-year-old daughter next time (not my 6-year-old though!). I'll still have her close her eyes during the most violent parts and we'll go to a daytime matinee to avoid nightmares.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywimpykid99 March 21, 2010

Parent Written bynsfb March 10, 2010

Alice is a good role model; she is never weak, but grows into her strength and stands independent in the end. My 10 year loved this movie- in all its quirkiness. But even NOT seeing in 3D, my 8 year old had to leave the theatre to take a break from the film: intense is the right word. She needed to NOT see the red queen; NOT see odd creatures. After a break, I could coax her back in. I imagine in 3D it would have really been too much. But I have to say I enjoyed it - but just as Alice is not a little girl, neither is this movie for real little kids.
Educator and Parent of a 4, 10, and 10 year old Written byhtlcrtk March 9, 2010

Good for older kids, and not a "girls movie"

Was a good movie. Judgement call for my 10 year old. Definitely would not work for my 4 year old (who I did not bring). Nice to have it pickup some of the Through the Looking Glass material instead of rehashing the first book.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byheavensent143617 March 8, 2010

My boys loved it ages 6 and 4. Maybe mine are a little tougher then some. My kids didnt even notice the mouse take the eye out. It was very quick. For a Tim Burton film it wasnt even dark. He did a good job holding back. Nightmare before X-mas and Coraline were darker films. Then again my boys love those too. Maybe we protect our kids from to much. I dont not let my kids watch horror films. These movies I see as lite hearted and most have good role models in them. I thought it was a great movie for kids. Tough kids,,,
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymatoje March 6, 2010

Not a fairy tale movie!

Adult Written byFilmManiac May 14, 2012

Darker twist may be to scary for some kids, but wonderful take on classic tale