All parent member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Parent Written byskylivmom March 14, 2010

Wasn't as dark and twisted as I expected. My 10 yr-old daughter and her 9 yr-old friend both found it fun and a great adventure. It was really more fun and whimsical. Even the "evil" folks were likable because they were hilarious and human, and the mad hatter was masterfully played by Depp. He was mad, yes, but also so lovable.
Parent Written byDTAsMommy March 14, 2010

Critics may pan the movie but for kids who are new to much of the movie world, this is excellent.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 12 year old Written bymomof3terrifickids March 13, 2010

My 12-year-old son and I just read the book and we were delighted that the movie was similar, but distinct. We loved the interpretation of all the characters and Underland. The Hatter was my favorite--he was insane, but lovable and loyal. My son enjoyed the Cheshire Cat. There were some violent images that would be too intense for younger kids. The film was beautiful, entertaining and provided a powerful message of creative, visionary thinking, self-sacrifice and loyal friendships. We loved it!
Parent of a 4, 11, and 12 year old Written bynicoleandthegirls March 12, 2010

Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenn1222 March 12, 2010

A great role model for girls!

My 11-year-old daughter and I enjoyed this film very much. It is more violent than I expected it, but overall it was an imaginative rendering of a sequel to the original Alice story. I thought that Alice is a terrific role model for girls -- she's intellectually curious, courageous, resourceful, and she stands up for herself. Rather than submit to the expectations of her society which have little relevance to the wholesome, admirable goals she holds for herself, Alice articulates her desires and does not yield. In this way Burton presents his young female viewers with a terrific female role model, a character that is lacking in most films marketed toward teens. Alice's story here also conveys the message that young people can actively make their own path in the world and find satisfaction doing so.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi March 12, 2010

Perhaps a bit intense for the younger set, I think it's fine for ages 10 and up. My 11-year-old son, who is quite sensitive, loved it. The visuals were very creative, there was lots to look at.
Adult Written byEnder Wiggin March 12, 2010

A Visual Feast

The main review above is perfect. Slightly dark, and slightly violent for anyone under 16. But a great adventure and a visual feast!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygoodgirladvice March 10, 2010

perfect for kids who love alice (and parents)

i loved it to me if you read the book or the first movie this is great for the same viewers
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byCrackles March 10, 2010

Fine for teens, but not for littlies

I enjoyed the movie, but feel it's too mature for my children (8yrs & 2yrs). I feel it is more appropriate for teens, perhaps some pre-teens (maturity dependant), and fine for adults. It seems a little 'dark' at times, but hey, every hero needs something to vanquish!
Parent Written bynsfb March 10, 2010

Alice is a good role model; she is never weak, but grows into her strength and stands independent in the end. My 10 year loved this movie- in all its quirkiness. But even NOT seeing in 3D, my 8 year old had to leave the theatre to take a break from the film: intense is the right word. She needed to NOT see the red queen; NOT see odd creatures. After a break, I could coax her back in. I imagine in 3D it would have really been too much. But I have to say I enjoyed it - but just as Alice is not a little girl, neither is this movie for real little kids.
Educator and Parent of a 4, 10, and 10 year old Written byhtlcrtk March 9, 2010

Good for older kids, and not a "girls movie"

Was a good movie. Judgement call for my 10 year old. Definitely would not work for my 4 year old (who I did not bring). Nice to have it pickup some of the Through the Looking Glass material instead of rehashing the first book.
Educator Written bysamwise March 9, 2010

Stays true to Wonderland form (if Wonderland has a form)!

Great continuation of the original Alice stories. May be a bit intense at some brief parts for younger viewers, but in all a good off the wall family, action/fantasy movie. Holds true to the "Carrollesque" quirkiness and absurdity that make the originals so endearing. Great message surrounding the conflict the protagonist, Alice, faces.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHipmamaofjohnny March 8, 2010

Good message, tad too violent

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymemoryerror March 8, 2010

This movie was awful. Not recommended for anyone especially children.
Educator Written byms.johnsonmahs March 8, 2010

YOUNGER KIDS? Watch the NON 3D version!

The NON 3D version is fine, and isn't too intense for kids ages 7 and up! This review is based on the 3D version, but many theaters are offering a non 3D version too!
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byCoHu March 8, 2010

My kids (11 and 8) enjoyed the movie. Visually stunning, but the story left much to be desired. The characters and the story lines were very one dimensional with no time spent to invest the audience. A lot of fidgeting in the theater from the kids around us (and myself, too). Hard to keep interest. Wouldn't recommend it for younger kids more due to that than the message or effects.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byheavensent143617 March 8, 2010

My boys loved it ages 6 and 4. Maybe mine are a little tougher then some. My kids didnt even notice the mouse take the eye out. It was very quick. For a Tim Burton film it wasnt even dark. He did a good job holding back. Nightmare before X-mas and Coraline were darker films. Then again my boys love those too. Maybe we protect our kids from to much. I dont not let my kids watch horror films. These movies I see as lite hearted and most have good role models in them. I thought it was a great movie for kids. Tough kids,,,
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymamanisa76 March 8, 2010

Not My Cup of Tea.

I almost thought I was going to rush out to the theater and see this with my two daughters, ages 4 and 6, the day it premiered. But my husband convinced me to just see it with my friends instead and I am SO glad I did! The beginning scene would have bored my kids to death, only to be followed by a frightful descent down the rabbit hole that would have made them very nervous I'm sure. The first creature that chases Alice is super scary, he scratches her and then has his eyeball removed from his head by the sword of the door mouse... you know the cute little door mouse that pops up and down on the teacups ride at Disney? yeah. Definitely not the lighthearted Alice I wanted my kids to see. The entire movie had a very dark, doomy, epic feel. Very Lord of the Rings or even Narnia-ish. I was naive to think Tim Burton would allow Alice to be a silly, giggling, curious girl who just wanted to find out what the white rabbit was up to. :(
Adult Written byPaasi Tukunga March 7, 2010

I well I would say loved it but not too much i think you should atch it
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bylovemykiddos March 7, 2010

Awesome movie for 10ish and up.

I loved this movie, and so did my 16 year old niece. The make-up, the hair, the costumes were all amazing! However, I sat there throughout the movie thinking that perhaps I was not going to take my 8 year old daughter. There is a part where an animal's eyeball is plucked out; a monster is be-headed by Alice (which in and of it self was not horribly graphic or anything, until you had to watch the head bounce down the stairs and roll to the red queen). I thought it was sad that infidelity was thrown into the movie in a couple different scenes, once with Alice's brother-in-law and once with the Red Queen's husband. I think that my ten year old would like the movie, however I am pretty sure that my 8 year old daughter would be telling me that it was a little scary and freaky.