All member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

All-new 3-D Alice story is trippy and intense.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bykatyN March 22, 2010

****OFF FOR AGE 8 AND UNDER****

I did think that the guy kissing another women was not something any child under the age of 11 to see that part but it only showed the back of the guys head and not anything else but the womens hair. It was violent for children under 10, but that does depend on the child. The catipiller smoking didn't disturb me, but the violence was most disturbing because of Alice slaying the dragon by cutting his head off and by taking the eye out of the wild dog/beast and then putting it back in. Also Alice has a cut from a claw that i would say some iffy for age 10. I was not to excited to see a Jonnhy Depp movie but i was a pretty good character. With out the violent and disturbing things in it, I would give it four stars.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2010

Mind numbing

It's a little violent for a PG movie and a Disney movie.It will numb your mind.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywimpykid99 March 21, 2010

Kid, 7 years old March 21, 2010

Good but a little scary for 7 year olds.

I think it was really good but there were some violent parts like when Alice cut off the Jabberwocky's head. I think the Red Queen was pretty weird because she had a huge head. But it was still really great. I think there was a bad role model of the Red Queen's husband who was mean and tried to kill the Red Queen even though he was her husband. I really liked the Mad Hatter. I think he was so awesome
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byJennyyn March 20, 2010

I love the fact that
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 March 20, 2010

Trippy but excellent film

Another great film from the colloboration efforts of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. I didn't see it in 3-D, but I could just tell that it would be great, and the visual effects were fantastic. Though Depp's performance as the Mad Hatter that everybody's hyped about, Bonham Carter gives in the most memorable performance as the Red Queen!
Adult Written byPandorasbox13 March 20, 2010

When I first heard about this film, who was directing it, and who were playing the parts, I thought this film would finally end all of the attempts at making the best Alice in Wonderland movie. Sadly, it did not live up to these expectations. This story by Lewis Carroll was one of the first books put to film in 1903, and so far the best version done yet is the original Disney film done all the way back in 1951. The original Alice in Wonderland whimsically and intelligently drifts one off to this dream world full of allegories, beauty, and cruelty, and it stands as one of the crowning achievements of animated movies for its depth and whit. It may not be the most entertaining of all of Disney's films for children, but adults may find the subtle hints of themes from the original story which explain why this piece has endured for so long. Now, onto Burton's average remake of this great film. Well, first off, it is not a remake, but rather a sequel loosely based on the original stories by Carroll. The difficulty with Carroll's story is the incoherent form of the original which creates a piece more enveloped in allegory and themes than plot. Burton and modern Disney, on the other hand, thought dumbing down the original tale and adding actions sequences would make it better for today's audiences so Disney could make money. The basic plot is the now 20 year old Alice (played by an actual 20 year old Mia Wasikowska, which is rare to have proper age casting in modern film) must be married to some lordly loser because he is a noble. When the engagement ceremony is going on, she sees the White Rabbit and runs off with it to avoid saying 'I do'. Once down the rabbit hole, she is told she must kill the Jabberwocky (which is some dragon thing voiced by Christopher Lee for three lines) on Frabjous Day because it is foretold on some scroll I cannot remember the name of. And thus, hijinks ensue. I won't explain the rest of the plot because everything stated at the beginning happens, which is one of the biggest problems with this film. In the original Alice in Wonderland, be it the book or the Disney film, you have no idea what will happen next, which adds an element of surprise and creates cliff-hangers. At every moment in this film, where they could have steered the plot into bold new directions, they did not. So, in the long run, it creates a somewhat boring film. The wonderful art-house and traditional special effects Burton was so known to have disappear in this massive budgeted movie. There were multiple scenes where CGI was not necessary in this film, but they did it anyway, which created a slight annoyance within those scenes. The other problem is the art crew could not seem to decide whether a hyper-realistic look or cartoon look for the film would be best, so the attempt at combining both in this movie often times falls flat. The themes in this film convolute themselves in the laziness of the screenwriters' script. They touch at the ideas of what is reality and fate versus free will, but almost no time is spent on it and both ideas are sacrificed for the mediocre plot. The greatest issue with these themes is this world turns out to be reality and fate pulls through in the end. The screenwriter must not have wanted to tackle such great problems in man's existence even though being given some of the best material possible to do so. And, considering I somewhat spoiled the already guessable plot, the ending contains one of the laziest and dumbest endings I've seen in a while for a film which should be of such high caliber. After Alice saves Wonderland (oh, I forgot to mention that they changed the name from Wonderland to Underland [which is bloody stupid]) by putting the righteous queen in power and the abdicating the wicked queen, she returns back to the normal world and decides to 'trade' with China to go in her father's footsteps. Why would the writers do this? You make Alice save one realm to enslave another? Though this is a minor point, I just wanted to bring it up because they could have made her set up an orphanage or done some form of venture to help the poor, which also at that point in history would be considered near-impossible. So, what is the redeeming factor of a film with a mediocre plot, poor art design, and messed-up morals? The acting from Johnny Depp is the saving grace of this film, along with a decent job from the cast all-around. In this picture, they seem to be the only people taking this seriously while the new Disney simply wanted a cash-cow. The Mad Hatter was done terrifically (though sometimes hard to understand,) and I must give kudos to one of the few men who could do it. Mia isn't given the ability to show off enough acting talent in this film because of the lazy screen-writing, but the rest of the characters play their roles with extraordinary finesse. So, is this film worth seeing? In the movie theaters at the price tickets are today, no. Catching it on DVD if you are interested? Yes. If you were on the fence with this piece, don't watch it because it will probably be a waste of time. When it comes to parental viewing, some of the scenes are violent (such as the Jabberwocky being decapitated,) but 10 year olds should be able to take it. All of the other parts of the film are not extreme. And so, the search goes on for the final iteration of a live action Alice in Wonderland.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2010

Great Movie....but Definitely No for little kids.

I think this is a good comedy. I wouldn't recommend it to 7 year olds or 8 year olds. Definitely not for little kids. It has a little bit of violence. They make it clear in a scene where Alice is growing that her clothes never fit, but they never show nude parts, There is some heads being cut off. The White Queen is good. The Red Queen is evil, but has a great comedy evil voice. Johnny Depp comes in later in the show, but has really good lines and his pupils change to show emotion.
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2010

9+ See this Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this movie. It shows the story of 19 year old Alice comes back to wonderland and the Red Queen has taken over. The Red Queen probaly will scare young kids . But it is a very good movie. With some violant parts take kids 9+ to see Alice in Wonderland.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykansas555 March 18, 2010

Most of the violence is suggested until the end fight. Alice is strong but shows a human sided fear in the face of a very inhuman enemy. My 8 year old loved loved it.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2010

A rush, until you think about it

A great movie to watch on family night, and who doesn't love Tim Burton? Exciting, funny, and a feel- good movie...until you think about it. My only complaint was the plot, the movie felt kinda rushed, I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway, it does have some scary scenes that might be a bit scary for younger kids, but overall, really fun to watch.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2010

It was a good movie. A little scary but it depends on the kid. You should totally go see it!
Parent Written byskylivmom March 14, 2010

Wasn't as dark and twisted as I expected. My 10 yr-old daughter and her 9 yr-old friend both found it fun and a great adventure. It was really more fun and whimsical. Even the "evil" folks were likable because they were hilarious and human, and the mad hatter was masterfully played by Depp. He was mad, yes, but also so lovable.
Parent Written byDTAsMommy March 14, 2010

Critics may pan the movie but for kids who are new to much of the movie world, this is excellent.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJha80000 March 14, 2010

Awesome!

This Movie adds to my long line of love for tim burton & Jonny Dept, i love thoes guys! but enough about them, this movie is really good there are some scary and intense parts that may scare kids under 10 or 9 ontop of all of that it's in 3D. if you have a kid thats un sertin if they wanna see it wait till it comes out so you have a choise for 3D and they'll feel safer at home
Parent of a 5, 10, and 12 year old Written bymomof3terrifickids March 13, 2010

My 12-year-old son and I just read the book and we were delighted that the movie was similar, but distinct. We loved the interpretation of all the characters and Underland. The Hatter was my favorite--he was insane, but lovable and loyal. My son enjoyed the Cheshire Cat. There were some violent images that would be too intense for younger kids. The film was beautiful, entertaining and provided a powerful message of creative, visionary thinking, self-sacrifice and loyal friendships. We loved it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylarrytheunicorn March 13, 2010

Great movie

I thought it was awesome. I think it lets kids know it is okay to be different.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJesusFreak09 March 12, 2010

Just say No!

i hated this movie! It is soo dark and twisted .. not at all like the alice and wonderland disney verison it is alice and horrorland ! She drinks blood and spit and steps on decapitated human heads to get across a moat she also drinks a potion with human fingers in it! Distrubing wrong and way to dark
Parent of a 4, 11, and 12 year old Written bynicoleandthegirls March 12, 2010

Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenn1222 March 12, 2010

A great role model for girls!

My 11-year-old daughter and I enjoyed this film very much. It is more violent than I expected it, but overall it was an imaginative rendering of a sequel to the original Alice story. I thought that Alice is a terrific role model for girls -- she's intellectually curious, courageous, resourceful, and she stands up for herself. Rather than submit to the expectations of her society which have little relevance to the wholesome, admirable goals she holds for herself, Alice articulates her desires and does not yield. In this way Burton presents his young female viewers with a terrific female role model, a character that is lacking in most films marketed toward teens. Alice's story here also conveys the message that young people can actively make their own path in the world and find satisfaction doing so.