All member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

All-new 3-D Alice story is trippy and intense.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byheavensent143617 March 8, 2010
My boys loved it ages 6 and 4. Maybe mine are a little tougher then some. My kids didnt even notice the mouse take the eye out. It was very quick. For a Tim Burton film it wasnt even dark. He did a good job holding back. Nightmare before X-mas and Coraline were darker films. Then again my boys love those too. Maybe we protect our kids from to much. I dont not let my kids watch horror films. These movies I see as lite hearted and most have good role models in them. I thought it was a great movie for kids. Tough kids,,,
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymamanisa76 March 8, 2010

Not My Cup of Tea.

I almost thought I was going to rush out to the theater and see this with my two daughters, ages 4 and 6, the day it premiered. But my husband convinced me to just see it with my friends instead and I am SO glad I did! The beginning scene would have bored my kids to death, only to be followed by a frightful descent down the rabbit hole that would have made them very nervous I'm sure. The first creature that chases Alice is super scary, he scratches her and then has his eyeball removed from his head by the sword of the door mouse... you know the cute little door mouse that pops up and down on the teacups ride at Disney? yeah. Definitely not the lighthearted Alice I wanted my kids to see. The entire movie had a very dark, doomy, epic feel. Very Lord of the Rings or even Narnia-ish. I was naive to think Tim Burton would allow Alice to be a silly, giggling, curious girl who just wanted to find out what the white rabbit was up to. :(
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2010
Its an OK movie, I prefered the cartoon and the 1990s English version, but this was pretty goood, kids younger than me will probably enjoy it beter than I did... Parents need to know that this is a very dark and twisted version of the Alice story, and there is some violence and scary scenes. The Jabberwocky and the Bandersnatch look very scary, and will frighten young kids, and there is a scene in which the Bandersnatch chases Alice and co., and the Bandersnatchs eye is skewered and taken out... :/ There is a beheading scene but noone dies, and the film is generally very dark, sinister and scary.... most of the characters are pretty scary looking, and although its not that good, lots of kids wil want to see it and they need to know that its got some very heavy sinister themes and some violence, so I reccomend for 11+
Adult Written byPaasi Tukunga March 7, 2010
I well I would say loved it but not too much i think you should atch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 March 7, 2010

Brutal for Disney but good

The super cool dark style of Tim Burton's films is perfect for this classic story. The cool style in which everything glows is used as well. Everything is kind of dark and hard to see, but it's okay. I enjoyed it. It did get a little boring at one part but it was pretty fun. The acting was great, too. The one thing is that the end battle is pretty brutal... and a monster loses an eye... but nothing too bad. Pretty predictable violence. Young kids may get scared. There is also a moat filled with severed heads.
Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2010

Okay for all ages

Very well done. It is scary in a few parts, but is pretty good overall. I have no concerns, it is worth it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaconBitz March 7, 2010

Recommended 8 and up. Can be scary for younger kids

Alice in Wonderland was a good movie. The violence was not bad. The worst was the decapitation of the jabbywocky with its head rolling down stairs. Some of the creatures are scary. Alice saves Wonderland from the evil Red Queen.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bylovemykiddos March 7, 2010

Awesome movie for 10ish and up.

I loved this movie, and so did my 16 year old niece. The make-up, the hair, the costumes were all amazing! However, I sat there throughout the movie thinking that perhaps I was not going to take my 8 year old daughter. There is a part where an animal's eyeball is plucked out; a monster is be-headed by Alice (which in and of it self was not horribly graphic or anything, until you had to watch the head bounce down the stairs and roll to the red queen). I thought it was sad that infidelity was thrown into the movie in a couple different scenes, once with Alice's brother-in-law and once with the Red Queen's husband. I think that my ten year old would like the movie, however I am pretty sure that my 8 year old daughter would be telling me that it was a little scary and freaky.
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2010

Perfect!!

Sure it was a little violent, but I really enjoyed it. I went to see it with one of my friends and we really loved it. Tim Burton has OUTDONE himself!
Teen, 16 years old Written byChickenOfTheWest March 7, 2010

A darker version of a classic tale... But kind of creepy too

A wonderful adaptation. Since Tim Burton made it, it has its swirls and a darker edge, but it fits in great with the story. There is alot of "Off with his head" in it, and decapitated heads are show, and there is some mild blood. The whole movie is eye-candy, with beautiful purples and reds, and the storyline has a great message...But will younger kids understand it? I'm not sure. Teens and adults will appreciate it to its full extent more, just because it's not really for kids. Its worth a watch, but know your kid.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2010

for all kids above eight years old

love it and the message is to have a big imaganation.it is now my favourite movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2010

More Intense But More Fun.

An amazing offbeat adaptation of alice and wonderland.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc March 6, 2010

Awesome family movie!

After seeing the previews for this movie, my whole family has been greatly anticipating the movie's release. We saw it today at the theatre in 3D. It was truly a fantastic experience. My kids - 13, 10, and 6 all thoroughly enjoyed the experience, as did I! The story was truly enticing and kept the kids attention the entire time. My 6 year old was the only concern, but she is used to movies like Harry Potter that have intense situations and magical beasts. She wasn't phased at all in the movie. I like that the movie had no bad language that I can remember and very little blood (except for some scrapes on Alice's arm). There are some dark moments that are classic Tim Burton, like Alice having to jump across some decapitated heads to get to the other side of a moat. But again, I don't think it was too intense or creepy for even my youngest. Only bad moments were brief. I didn't like the "falsies" worn by one of the Red Queen's entourage, nor the White Queen spitting into something she gave Alice to drink (immitative behavior). And don't be surprised if your kids go running through the house immitating the Red Queen and suggesting you chop off everyone's head, including the dog. To round out my review, this is a very clean and exciting family film. I give it five stars from a movie story, effects, and famliy-friendliness perspective. I can't wait to see it again!
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2010
7 year olds went and saw this movie and liked it and even little girls! i love it! the ending credits music is nice, by avril lavigne with a powerful message.. the queen in the book says off with your head like a million times.. then you wont tell us to read the book? It is fantastic in 3d imax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Parent of a 11 year old Written byCristina V March 6, 2010
I thought it was OK, but I am not a fan of the Alice in Wonderland book. When I went to watch it there were some young kids that did OK. I on the other hand found it hard to digest. There are some weird scenes where the rabbit acts crazy, that was not comical.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymatoje March 6, 2010

Not a fairy tale movie!

Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2010
This movie was a lot better than I thought it would be! Alice is, as the people have said, a great role-model. I like the fact that she doesn't jump to conclusions. It has a great story, and it's funny and entertaining! It showed my father that Tim Burton is capable of making movies that aren't so weird. In the beginning, it was like any regular movie, and not so weird. Same at the end. On the other hand, every kid that's in 2nd grade will probably be deeply disturbed and scared by this movie. The Jabberwhocky attacks some playful villagers and the good White Queen. In that scene, a knight is blasted by a ball of electricity and killed. The Jabberwhocky's head is cut off, you can clearly see it rolling down some old stairs and landing with a 'thump' on the ground. That was disgusting. Also, a wolf-like beast has it's eye taken out, and Alice is scratched by the beast. That leaves a big slash mark on her arm, and later in the story the pain seems too much for her. (Her arm is red and you see it bleeding).
Adult Written bytrybicki March 6, 2010

Kudos to Tim Burton

Loved It. Loved the artistic three dimensional effects created by Tim Burton. The Mad Hatter's Happy Dance was hysterical. Enjoyed the acting and the humor. Fun to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byesmirnaz March 6, 2010

Perfect for all ages, except tods.

I watched it last night an I had been really looking forward to seeing it. I was not dissapointed. There is a scene with floating heads as part of a river, but nothing is gory.
Adult Written byvernefan March 6, 2010
Loved it, nothing but 100% fun entertainment.