All member reviews for Alice in Wonderland (2010)

All-new 3-D Alice story is trippy and intense.

Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written bymommalaurie March 16, 2010

Just like the book, this movie is dark, strange, and wonderful!

I loved this movie! And if I had to choose who the director would be, Tim Burton is the only one that should have been on the list. The movie, just like the book, is dark, strange and wonderful! 3D only makes it even more mysteriously fun!! BUT I agree it is not appropriate for very young children. I also think kids between 7-9 should read the book before seeing the movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjaywdet March 7, 2010

7 year old:

Quote from my 7 year old boy: "I think Disney's Alice in Wonderland is WAY better." This movie frightened my 7 year old. This is a kid who begs to watch Star Wars movies, and Ben 10 alien force. He watches Scooby Doo as well and isn't clueless when it comes to monsters in movies, and cartoons. I regret taking him and should have known better, since this is a Tim Burton movie. As for adults, there is plenty of eye candy, but that is about it. The story is boring. There is one message or theme in the movie, that isn't uncommon for Burton, and in my opinion is inappropriate. This is the idea that it's a virtue to be 'a little off your rocker', odd, strange, etc. Nothing wrong with many counter culture movements, but before you start filling kids heads with ideas about why 'its good to be part of the strange crowd', let's help them understand why being part of mainstream culture, is important. This theme is pretty blatant in my opinion as Alice is being asked to adhere to a stringent aspect of her culture. While we applaud her rejection of this, we should not so because she is 'weird or different', or above the rest, or because she is a counter culture champion. This wasn't Burton's intent. I believe he wanted to show Alice as an individual, who was strong and made her own decisions, and didn't abandon her culture in rebellion. However, this is the point, a 7 year old won't see it this way, he sees that "weird is cool", "insane is OK". Most 15 year olds will have a hard time pulling Burton's intent out of this movie. They'll take the "weird" and leave the rest behind.
Adult Written byFantasyMan April 8, 2010

Great movie. I will be buying the DVD

Loved it so much had to see it twice. The second time in 3D. Really fun movie and that is why I love fantasy's. Others bore me and this kept me entertained. A bit too slow in the beginning but they had to set the story. The colors are so vibrant they jump out at you, in both 2D and 3D. Very good plot. I was half expecting another over the top Tim Burton story and his overdone(boring) horror plots and characters but this was a very pleaseant surpirse. I believe he was meant to make this movie and it shows what he can be capable of if he gets serious. Great casting and humorous moments intertwined helped make it very enjoyable. All actors did a great job but I have to say I was most impressed with the head henchman to the Red Queen, Stayne (Crispin Glover.)
Parent of a 7, 10, and 10 year old Written byboyzintx March 22, 2010

Fun for kids who like fantasy --

Fun movie! It is told as a type of sequel, with Alice returning as a young woman. The story line itself falls somewhat flat as the end of the movie is foretold to Alice and the rest of the movie is about her acceptance of this. But, like the books and the Disney version, this film is captivating and my children (7, 10) very much enjoyed it! If your children do fine with the type of fantasy violence portrayed in the milder Harry Potter films or in the recent Lightning Thief, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about with this film. My kids had more questions about the smoking caterpillar than the violence, so I could have done without the Opium, though I realize it is in keeping with the books. We liked it!
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2013

best movie

one of my favorite movies better than the original
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittleRedRiding... March 24, 2011

Great!

I love this movie! It's so good! I don't really get why some people said this movie is too dark....it's really weird. This movie is an amazing version of Alice in Wonderland. I loved it! Tim Burton has done it again!
Parent of a 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 year old Written byWondermom of fi... February 14, 2011

I made the mistake of not seeing this movie before showing it to my daughters, aged 9-14. My concerns follow. It begins with ugly images of marriage. Within the first few minutes, my younger girls see a married man making out with someone who isn't his wife. Sorry, it's not just "a kiss" as the CSM review says. Forget the jaded attitude of today's culture; at their age, I was watching "Wizard of Oz," which couldn't be farther from featuring such an adult issue. Alice seems too young to be married and it's something she's being pushed into by the very people who should care for her. (Here we go again, yet another movie where the child is smarter than the parent or, in this case, the older sister, too.) The man who would seem a suitable spouse for her doesn't really love her. And he's not good looking. (Why can't she reject a good looking guy?) Her elderly aunt, who wished to be married, never experienced it and is insane because of her loss. Not exactly the marriage-related messages I want to send to my daughters. There are issues with modesty: once Alice falls down the rabbit hole, she's not seen with her back or shoulders covered again, until the armor scene. Her dress literally hangs off of her, as if she had been assaulted. Preceding these images are Alice's sullen and defiant response and disobedience to her Mother wanting her to wear a corset and stockings. The corset is a bit much, but the stockings seem a small request. Alice's equivalent in present day is the daughter who wears a mini skirt when her parents ask her not to, or perhaps she'll get a tattoo against her parent's wishes. Do we really need young girls admiring or seeing as brave this kind of defiance? Last, in the end, our brave Alice chooses a corporate career over marriage and motherhood. Yes, it's good to see her exercise her options, but my daughters receive enough messages in the popular media directing them away from marriage and toward careerism, money and staying single to avoid responsibility. My point is that, had she rejected marriage only because Hamish wasn't suitable to her, that would have been enough; it seemed to me that the marriage vs. career message was heavy handed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover1996 June 28, 2010

this movie is pretty scary for younger kids, a lot of violence, especially at the end.
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

IOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love it!ASOME people BUY it watch it!
Adult Written bylisa05 June 16, 2010
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAnneG63 March 19, 2010

Good movie, but brace your younger child for the violence at the end

My 8 yr old loved it. The violence at the end fighting scene probably bothered me way more than it did her. A lot of the suggestive stuff went over her head...I expected this movie to be much darker than it was-all in all good movie but definitely not a light hearted version of Alice.
Written byAnonymous March 19, 2014

A little dark, but overall a great film!

I watched this on my own and I did not get frightened one bit! I think an 8 yr old might find it a tiny bit scary but 9+ should be okay. The film was great, I loved all the wonderful and weird creatures. This film may be dark but the parental guidance on IMDb is totally exaggerated.
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2013

Good but scary remake for older kids.

7/10 stars. There are wondrous visual effects, menacing monsters, and some fantasy battles. The actors do a good job (even with a pound of make up and costuming on) and so does the director Tim Burton. Sometimes the queen is really hard to understand. Violence 3/5: monsters attack and ones head is cut off and at the end there's an enormous battle between the white queen's forces and the red queens forces, all made more intense by the 3-D. There is humor added to the story when the beasts aren't attacking. language and sex: 0/5
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2012

...

umm, no this movie does not get four out of five stars! I'm sorry common sense but no.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan December 23, 2011

Wait- Huh?

OK! You rate this iffy for 10 and Nightmare before Christmas is 7+! That's Crazy! Sure this movie is dark, a tad creepy, and odd, but it is actually really good! The only thing that I found a little creepy is Cheshire Cat! This is a great movie 8+!
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 2, 2011

HORRORS!!!

SNAPE IS SMOKING A WATER PIPE!!!!!! HORRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND ALSO ALICE IS NAKED BEHIND A BUSH!!!!! ALSO HORRORS!!!!! AND THE KNAVE IS JUST PLAIN CREEEEEEEEEEEPY!!!! but johnny depp is AWESOME!!!!! i wanna marry him!!!
Kid, 9 years old August 31, 2011

good one

3 and 3 stars
Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2010

perfect for tween and teens

I loved this movie it was a magical family movie!!!!
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2010

great movie

i love this movie! Yes i have seen it and was great. The movie was funny and specially the ending when johnny Depp did that fudle wacken dance. every part of this movie was enteresting. I think that every one should watch it in see for your self. thanks bye.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. May 22, 2010

Weak-ish plot, but graphics make the movie!

I went to see Alice In Wonderland today, finally, and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it in 3D! It was clearly meant for 3D, and the animation would have been amazing in it, but it was still pretty good in 2D. It wasn't exactly humorous, but it did have it's laughable moments like when the Red Queen says "I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet". It was a surreal twist between Twitches, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Shrek, oddly enough. The plot wasn't edge-of-your-seat, but the grapics really made the movie. Alice In Wonderland definitely has some positive role models such as Alice herself, who is basically a girl power, butt kicking young women who goes against the advice to "marry when you still have a gorgeous face" and accidently falls down the rabbit hole to Underland, and ends up being a hero for slaying the Jabberwocky. This movie might be a tad scary for more sensitive kids and tweens, especially in 3D, but most teens could probably handle it. Also, Johnny Depp= GOLDEN in this movie!!