All member reviews for Alien Resurrection

Grotesque carnage, vile characters; steer clear.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDillpickle37 October 31, 2015

Alien: Resurrection

While I can't deny that Alien: Resurrection has no good reason for existing, I don't hate it nearly as much as most people do. To me, Resurrection has two main issues. The first, and probably the biggest, is the fact that they had to bring back Ripley. While that's not a bad thing in and of itself, and it could have been handled much worse, the cloning idea still seems contrived and unoriginal, and it reeks of studio execs trying to make a quick buck. Seriously, why can't people (studios included) learn to let go? The other issue I have with Alien: Resurrection is the fact that it doesn't seem to fit in with the other Alien movies. The first three all had horror elements, and this one doesn't go that direction, instead going for all action and, surprisingly, comedy. One might argue that it's a good thing this movie tried to do something new with the franchise, but it just doesn't work as an Alien film. With that said, Alien: Resurrection still does quite a few things right, and, as previously mentioned, I actually quite like it. Sigourney Weaver gives her usual strong performance, and her DNA being spliced with that of the Aliens (the best thing to come out of the cloning concept) allows her character to explore a bit of a darker side of her personality, which I thought was interesting. Another highlight was the character of Call. While not Wynona Ryder's strongest performance, the character herself was actually quite interesting, continuing the theme of androids in the Alien movies while also bringing something new to the table by way of making her a theist. This was certainly an interesting dynamic that was explored in one of my favorite scenes, in which Call and Ripley discuss God. This brings me to my next point. I have heard several people say that Resurrection has no memorable scenes, but I must disagree. The aforementioned discussion between Call and Ripley is one of the highlights of the movie. The underwater scene is also well-executed, if drawn out, and it successfully showcases the aliens' ability to swim, while also managing to be one of the most tension filled scenes of the movie (which really isn't saying much, but I meant it as a complement). However, the greatest scene of the movie is unquestionably when Ripley discovers the first seven failed clones. She is visibly horrified by the grotesque abominations before her, and disgusted at the scientists who left one of them behind, still alive and suffering terribly. As she torches the lab with a flamethrower, we can't help but think that scene was very poignant and is definitely the best of the movie. Unfortunately, a poorly timed joke, while funny, kind of kills the mood. One final thing that I liked about the movie was Jean Pierre-Jeunet's direction. While it is far from being his finest work, Resurrection still has that distinct visual flair that Jeunet is known for, and it works well. I also think I should mention the design of the Newborn alien. I think it looks pretty good, being capable of making facial expressions and simultaneously endearing itself to us and disgusting us. All in all, Alien: Resurrection may be the weakest of the series, but it still makes for some campy fun, and there are certainly much worse ways to kill an hour and forty-five minutes. Sex and Nudity- 3/10: Several deformed clones are seen naked. It is non-sexual in nature, and they are so deformed that no sensitive areas are recognizable. A woman receives a sensual foot massage from a man. The area is dimly lit by candles, and the woman is in a thong, revealing part of her buttocks. Violence- 8/10: Several people are killed by aliens. The aliens kill one of their own and use their acid blood to escape from their pen. A part of a man's brain is seen. An alien creature bites off the top of a man's head. It is seen completely bitten in half. A man's head is crushed. An alien creature is sucked into space through a tiny hole in a window. Gallons of blood shoot out into space. Its intestines fall out before being sucked out too. Its skin is then ripped off and its skull crumbles to pieces and shoots out the window. The entire sequence is very disturbing. A woman stabs herself in the hand. Language- 6/10: Around 20 uses of f*ck, several uses of sh*t, and a couple uses of G*ddamn, damn, and misuses of Jesus' name. Hell and ass are also used numerous times.
Adult Written byJustinC 1 February 2, 2016

Very violent, gross, and disgusting. Age 18+

I saw this in the theater when I was 17, and afterwards I wished I hadn't seen it because it was very violent, very disgusting, and disturbing. I had already seen the first 3 "Alien" movies before I saw this, and this is by far the worst "Alien" movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2015

Terrible Movie, Not Even Worth Watching(Not Even the TRAILER)

TERRIBLE movie, not worth watching, so awful I can even put the horribleness into words. Should be rated NC-17. Has absolutely no plot line at all, just random s~x, drug use, lots of profanity, and loads and loads of pointless scarring blood and gore.
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2013

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU YAWN

good but doesn't work as a Alien movie, extremely bloody violence, and lots of language, keeps kids away.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II July 14, 2012

A horror-free, suspense-free, horror suspense, Its pretty bad.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byabrahm January 31, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstroPhysics March 9, 2016

Awesome Movie

I really like this movie. I initially thought that it would be worse than Alien 3 but it was so much better: almost as good as the first Alien movie!!! However, their was more blood and gore, and this movie was a little deeper into the 'horror' genre than the rest of the movies in the Alien series. Ripley is part Alien in this movie and can communicate with them, and you wonder throughout most of the movie if the aliens want to keep her alive or kill her. There is talk of 'sex.' One man jokes he 'almost made love to an android.' You feel sad when a baby alien gets sucked out of a hole into space (very gory). Ripley is a halfway between a hero and a villain now, and you want her to win because she's Ripley but don't want her to win because she's and alien. There are dark themes and I can't begin to say the amount of gore... But it is almost as good as the first Alien movie, and a whole lot better than the 2nd and 3rd ones. If you are an Alien movie/Ridley Scott fan then watch it!!!
Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byaetheriadraconis December 30, 2015

Good action packed movie for not oversensitive teens

SPOILERS ALERT: Don't read it if you haven't watched this movie (and you have to watch it before even deciding it for your kids). Well, at first - this is not classical Alien style gothic horror, no. It still has the dark ambient atmosphere of doom and despair, but it's packed into, in fact - 3 hours timeframe, before the nightmare spaceship will reach the Earth. And this is, probably, the only moment when human characters had shown any humanity - they do care about the Earth and the inevitable end of mankind if the aliens will reach the planet. That's it. In general, almost all human characters are disgusting and amoral, greatly outlining the fact that in this bright future world humans are worse than aliens. Crazy and amoral scientists, making alien-human hybrids and using human hosts for aliens. Mercenaries, hijacking the cargo ship to deliver humans for experiments to the scientific ship. Military turned into huge greedy corporation with no moral standards. The only neutral or rather, semi-good characters are the survived marine and the man from the cargo ship with alien inside. Closer to the end of the movie Ripley says to Call: "I should have guessed that you're a robot. You're too humane to be a human". Truly, the two good characters of the movie are half-alien and a robot. Now about the rating. Great messages: well, the whole movie is a single great message making one big negative example, where gore and violence are used as background to deliver it. Role models: a robot and half-alien? No, probably not. Too much violence even for Alien sequel and, generally, too much for teenagers. No sex at all - there are several scenes of partial nudity of Ripley and her clones, but they are asexual by their nature and the only "sexual" scene is where a man gives the legs massage to the women. A lot of swearing in general (but not too much, giving the circumstances). Some drinking and smoking at the beginning. Now as for the age rating. We were watching it with my 7 y.o. daughter in a dark room at 10:00 PM as a scary bedtime story. She had no nightmares and really enjoyed the plot and action, but I had to explain several topics, like: "they said that the ship's autopilot is set to return the ship to Earth (as its home base) automatically in case of emergency" or "Call had just connected to the ship's central computer to schedule its self-destruction before it reaches the Earth" or, in general: "the Aliens behave like hornet hive with a Queen, eggs and workers or rather as parasitoid wasps that use caterpillar hosts for their larvae". Still, I think that most kids should watch it at 12+, 14+ or 16+ - all depends on their individual tolerance for blood, gore and freaking monsters.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 May 3, 2015

Unneccesary yet entertaining finale has its pros, and its cons. (Re-review, mild spoilers)

The first thing to know about this film that you should is that it is a horror-comedy. Without this knowledge, you will LOATHE this film, as I did on my first viewing. However, after watching it a second time with said knowledge, I admit that Resurrection is a fun film. The fact that it is a cartoonish horror comedy doesn't help. Alien is a terrifying sci-fi masterpiece. Aliens is one of the greatest action films ever. Alien 3 is an underrated and touching thriller. This is silly. But in its defence it has its funny moments, and of the few action sequences (there are only about 4 in the film) most are entertaining. The characters, while not particularly likeable, are interesting, such as one character who is secretly an android (and a theist one at that, which I found interesting) and another pair who often argue with each other (making for some fun moments). The films main weakness is that the aliens only have about three minutes of screen time, and the amount of humans killed by other humans is almost as many humans who are killed by aliens. Also, there's one ugly alien hybrid that is simply disgusting, and the age old issue with this franchise of euthanasia by flamethrower. Overall, this movie is dumb, but its fun dumb. Some of the characters are down right annoying, but others are interesting. The aliens should have done more, and the ones that do a lot are poorly designed, but we do have some entertaining moments when less important ones show up. This is a popcorn movie, one to end the Alien-Predator saga (chronologically at least) on a high note. Its better than AVP by a mile, better than AVP:R, and I guess its better than Prometheus and on par with Predator 2. Its the weakest of the 4 mainstream Alien movies, and Predator and Predators are also better. But this is a satisfactory end (although Alien 3 had a far more symbolic ending).
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

A gory, sloppy mess of a sequel, not worth your time and money!

Terrible characters, terrible dialogue, and so-so special effects! Wow, there is almost nothing good in this atrocity! At least Alien3 was actually good (in my opinion), but not great! This movie is the complete opposite of good! The best part of this movie is Ripley and Brad Dourif's character, and some of the action sequences, but that's it! Skip this sequel, watch the first 3 movies, they are much better than this one!
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag December 20, 2012

Terrible fourth installment is ultraviolent, grizzly.

"Alien Resurrectrion" is a 1997 sequel to the 1979 science fiction movie "Alien". ------------------------------ "Oh God, what happened to the Alien saga?" is a question you are not unlikely going to hear yourself asking after watching this movie. While the first two were excellent and the third one rather good, "Alien Resurrection" has lost its soul. There are no emotions any more, no subtle, frightning athmosphere, no small girl to be prevented from harm. It doesn't take long in order to realise in which direction this movie goes: in that of a slasher flick. In its entire running time, it is about Aliens killing people. And that's it. The characters lost its depth, and the athmosphere is not subtle or something, but instead tries to show how much violence you can show in about 110 minutes. Even though they are both excellent actresses, neither Sigourney Weaver nor Winona Ryder help this movie. They have talent, but not the chance to show it. It is hard to believe that the director of this movie later will make the French masterpiece "Amelié". But quite possibly, you shouldn't blame him, but instead the writer of this movie, for focusing too much on the splatter-like violence, but lacks plot. If you liked the first three Alien movies, you shouldn't expect much. It is nothing more than a horror flick - but in the end even fails at being any scary. ----------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) Like the third one and unlike the first two movies, "Alien Resurrection" has a lot of violence. It is actually stronger than its preceeder, but the violence is also more over-the-top, more ridiculous. A man partly freezes and when trying to move, his arm breaks off (it is shown, but does not look too graphic). A man gets bitten in the back of his head off-screen, and then pulls a piece of his brains out of the wound - very graphic and gory. An alien bursts out of a man's chest and through the head of a man in front of him (brief, but gory). An alien hybrid bites into a man's head, and there is much, much gore and brains, with a graphic wound (this is the most graphic scene of the movie). An alien hybrid crushes a man's head on-screen, but it is really brief. We then see the bloody remainings of the alien hybrid's hands. The alien hybrid gets torn out of the spaceship, but gets disintegrated. We see blood and flesh being sucked into space. At one point, the alien hybrid's stomach bursts open and we see its guts. Many people are killed by the aliens in other, less graphic ways. Aliens are killed with acid blood spurting. The violence is strong and grizzly, but can be considered too over-the-top to be disturbing or scary. There are about 30 uses of the f-word. Brief nudity when we see nude clones in tubes. nothing strong. Mature viewers should be able to handle it. Recommended for viewers 15 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow October 21, 2012

How the mighty have fallen

Apparently, Alien3 was meant to be the last of the Alien films, and it turned out to be my favorite out of the original quadrilogy. But, of course, everyone hated it, to the extent that the studios were pressured into making another one to try to end the series on a stronger note. Now, what's your definition of "strong"? A painfully dumb action movie featuring heroes with "strong" muscles, or an intelligent movie with a "strong" story? I don't know what they were going for, but this movie is most definitely the latter, and beyond. I mean, really? Is this even an Alien film? I guess a lot of people hated Alien3 because it was too nihilistic, whereas the audience was accustomed to the fun-but-dark military action of Aliens. So in order to please fans, they made Alien Resurrection an action film. But it went WAY too far, basically giving us an out-of-place Schwarzenegger film... without the charm of Schwarzenegger. Now, of course, I love Schwarzenegger films, but for much different reasons than the Alien movies. This film's over-the-top dumbness felt out of place in an Alien film. At least in Aliens, the action had a pretty solid balance of dark and deadpan, whereas Alien Resurrection isn't the least bit dark. Yet the action is somewhat well choreographed, with some pretty decent special effects and sets, a few good over-the-top kills, and some pretty likeable characters, like the wheelchair guy and Ron Perlman. Now, with an action movie that has these good traits, I at least give it a guilty pleasure rating of 3 or 3.5 out of 5. But those movies often have a simple and easy to follow plot that you don't have to put much thought into. But this movie has a very illiterate and incomprehensible plot, with several weird and out-of-place scenes that just cluttered everything. The premise is pretty basic, but it gets into an unnecessary level of complication that, quite frankly, ruined the experience for me, basically in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean 3 did. And I also thought the plot about cloning Ripley was very muddled and unemotive, giving is no sympathy for Ripley because, well, she's not Ripley. And I did not particularly like Winona Ryder as Call. Not that she was terrible or anything, but she really didn't fit the role, and the character was pretty boring to begin with. The ending was also odd, giving no indication that it would be a series conclusion and instead leaving us kind of ambivalent to the whole thing. Alien Resurrection is just a bad, dumb science fiction movie. It's dumber than most sci-fi movies, but has the laughable pretention of trying to be the Alien conclusion that fans wanted. And while many people considered this better than Alien3 (don't ask why), I consider this a mediocre and unengaging mess of a movie. It's not terrible, but it's a bad series conclusion.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski October 17, 2012

A few new Alien twists, but mostly the same old stuff

This new "Alien" film is just as dark and tension filled as the others in the series. There are some new twists in the human/alien relationship, including Ripley, who is half-alien herself. If the first three Alien movies disturbed you, this one won't be any better.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrfredcarrey October 4, 2012

i like it

i like the scene when ripley get face hugged
Teen, 15 years old Written by80sfan8 August 16, 2012

Weakest in the series.

I did say in my Alien 3 review that it was the most violent movie in the series. Well I still think it is. For the most part it's a brainless shooter. This is defiantly the weakest in the series.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPart IV July 14, 2012

Basically a sorry attempt at a horror.

Parent Written byRun boy run. July 14, 2012

Dreadful sc-fi horror almost drowns in gore.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPART III July 14, 2012

Dreadfull part 4 to alien saga, shouldn't have been made.

Teen, 15 years old Written byIlovemovies. July 14, 2012

Sad excuse for a movie, not for anybody.

This movie is dreadfully gory, gallons of blood and so many gross and pointless scenes that should be in a NC-17 movie.
Kid, 9 years old June 11, 2012

disapointing

This one is a not great sequel but it was ok VERY DISAPOINTING but it is a alien film still good I don't really recomand this for kids cause this one is the most bloody alien film watch this before letting your kids watching it