Dated but still extremely scary. Not for younger kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBlackSmokeDemon May 4, 2011

ALIEN the only final fronteer that will get you a face hugger

When I first watched this I thought it wouldnt be scary for me (I've watched alot of scary movies befor) but it was givin a very creepy sense that the Alien (real name XENOMORPH "Zeno-morf") was in my house and it creeped the S*** out of me. I love Sigourney Weaver she's my favorite female movie star (lol her jew fro was huge back then)
Teen, 14 years old Written by8colony8 October 28, 2010
I just saw this yesterday. We have a language filter on our DVD player, but there's alot of swearing including the F word. Some characters smoke. A Facehugger (a small alien) attaches itself to a man's face. A few days later while eating, blood spurts through the mans chest then a baby alien bursts through with blood splattering the walls. There is blood in other parts. There are innapropriate pictures on the wall at one part. Ripley is seen in her underwear as she puts on a space suit. Bloody dead bodies are seen. There are plenty of tense and scary parts. A man's head is nearly punched off but he is a robot. He continues to fight with his head hanging off, with wires and white blood spurting out. Then he is shot with a flamethrower and his face melts. Though fully clother, a woman is raped by an alien. Watch this movie before your kid does, but it is fun.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysnoge July 15, 2015

A classic thriller, but not for children.

Classic thriller, with quite a lot of jumpy-outy moments, particularly towards the start. However, it's a magnificent film. Normal 14+ should be ok, although tougher kids who are younger could watch it. Kids who aren't afraid of jumpy-outy moments will really enjoy it, like I did.
Adult Written byNathan009 October 12, 2014

Mature

The movie is about a group of people trying to survive in space with a alien on board. The overall content is ok but some scenes some viewers may find disturbing. 12+
Adult Written byhomealonefan123 April 27, 2014

This violent, sometimes very gory thrill ride is awesome, best for teens!

Parents need to know that this 1970's sci-fi-horror film is violent and sometimes gory. The violence includes other life forms bursting through people's chests, shooting, and being killed by the alien. There is some strong language and posters of naked girls. But other than that, this movie will be perfect for teens!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBigA2 April 28, 2011
Yes, it takes a while for the action to get going, yes, the Alien looks fake as hell in 2011 and yes, it’s not really all that scary, but Ridley Scott’s classic, (somewhat) minimalist sci-fi/horror film is still a timeless piece of art. I just love how everything starts so relaxed, with characters casually sitting around spouting forgettable techno babble, then slowly changes mood into a dark and unique slasher-flick, as the creature eliminates each crew member, with the tension continuously growing and growing as the film progresses. There are a few moments that’ll make you jump out of you a seat (and a few that you can easily see coming, but this could just be the film’s age showing). Scary or not, Alien is a simple and straightforward story but told brilliantly with plenty of style and likable characters (which is more than I can say for its sequel, Aliens). Oh, and Ripley is probably the only developed female heroin, who’s also pretty, in existence. It's a real shame female movie fans don't have more characters like Ripley to look up to. The fact that CSM gave this only 3-stars should be a crime.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion December 27, 2010

Dated but suspenseful thriller...

ALIEN shows its age. A lot. What was extremely terrifying back in '79 when the movie was released is merely suspenseful today. Whereas the movie's gore was trendsetting back then, nowadays most kids have seen worse. What hasn't changed, however, is the masterful artistry with which the film was made. Although it wasn't as scary as I remembered, the dedicated work and talent of the crew behind it is as evident as ever. Now, I don't mean that the movie isn't suspenseful, or scary for kids. It very much is. The suspense is a killer in most places, and just because the gore doesn't compare to what is seen today doesn't mean that kids should watch it. Audiences see an alien bursting out of a man's chest, with splashing, spurting blood and moans and screams. A man is impaled from behind by the alien, and blood drips from his mouth. Another man is shot through the head by the alien's teeth, shown in a split-second cut of blood. This movie is less action-oriented than its sequels, thus, the single alien is more menacing. It stalks the crew members one by one, and kills them. The strange murders by the alien are also on a disturbing, quasi-sexual level, though no kids will pick up on this. Before a woman is killed, the alien's tail crawls up between her legs to stab her. And, after a man has an alien egg laid inside of him, it is mentioned that he has been "violated" and that the alien inside of him is akin to "his son." In addition to this, we see topless pin-up posters in the distance of one shot. There are four or five "f" words, and milder language like "d**n" and "s**t" is used probably twenty times. ALIEN is a stellar movie that, unfortunately, doesn't retain the power it had when released. However, it still remains an exciting introduction to quality horror movies for teens who are mature enough.
Adult Written bytrevork November 13, 2016

Great movie with a great role model has some iffy scenes

I think that this movie is perfect. I did not need any sequels but i think that Aliens was good. Although some of the others were just terrible (COUGH ALIEN 3 COUGH ALIEN RESURRECTION). This movie was great but had some pretty gross parts. Including the scene that everyone knows where the one guy's stomach explodes and an alien comes out of his chest. SPOILERS AHEAD WARNING and when you figure out Ash is a android and the other guy knocks Ash's head open. I was watching this part with my dad and he is 39 and he even said "That's disgusting." There is also a lot of swearing through out the movie but it wasn't too bad. Other than the suspense throughout it, Ripley is a great role model and will do anything to get off the ship and save her crew. This movie is 5/5 stars and has great messages and role models but be warned it may be scary for some kids who are scared of aliens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstronautSpace October 10, 2015

This movie so so spectacular

Ever since I first saw this when I was 11, it has been one of my favorite movies. It is super suspenseful, dramatizing, and amazing. A lot of people die gruesome deaths and stuff. Also, there is language. But it's the best movie ever, about Ripley and her crew trying to survive when one of them touches an egg, a dangerous alien hatches, and tries to kill them all. Watch the director's cut, it's so much scarier and the film is also a piece of art.
Adult Written byJoshT 1 September 18, 2015

If your kid can handle Jurassic Park, he/she most likely can handle this

Hello everyone, I'm 13 years old. But just because I'm not an adult please don't ignore this review. Violence: Violent enough to be disturbing, but not that bad. There are two scenes which might be too much (1. The chestburster scene 2. Brett's death) Sex+Nudity: At one point, Ripley is wearing slightly revealing clothing. Aside from that, there's nothing else. Don't worry about it. Swearing: Naturally, the crew of the Nostromo (who have been in space for a long, long time) are a little grumpy...so swearing is very evident. Drugs/Drinking: The characters smoke. That's all! Extra note: Ripley is a good role model aside from swearing and smoking. In the end, Alien is not only one of the greatest sci-fi movies, but one of the best horror movies! Don't shy away from showing a tween or pre-teen this film.
Adult Written bypixeli May 21, 2015

Not scary

When this was shown it was probably really scary. Now it's more of a thrill than a horror. The Chest-burster scene has quite a lot of blood in it and the other scenes have less. There is quite a bit of swearing but everyone's heard it.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Classic sci-fi flick may bore kids, but will please teens and adults!

One of Ridley Scott's finest movies! It's like a slasher movie, but in space, and with an alien! However, this movie will definitely bore kids! The pacing for this movie is incredibly slow! The only problem i have with this movie is that the still shots of inside the ship gets really boring! Other than that, this a movie that is worth your time and money, because this is a great film!
Adult Written byResponsable February 4, 2015

Perfect Sci-Fi Movie!

Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 31, 2014

Movie

R for alien destruction and violence and crude imagery and language and some battle and surprises.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 January 26, 2017

Awesome

Awesome; scary(ish)
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2017

AWESOME!

This movie is amazing! It's slightly scary but for me , it's really funny! My favorite part is with the chestburster, which catches you by suprise. The movie makes you feel like you're there. Defenitely not for younger kids though. BEST MOVIE EVER!
Teen, 15 years old Written byFlimFanE December 26, 2016

A HORROR MASTERPIECE

Alien is a masterpiece with an intense atmosphere (the best kind of horror movie) and very few jump scares (which is actually what makes it scary). The character development in this film is possibly one of the best I have ever seen, and my advise to families is that if you believe that they can handle this movie try letting you teens watch it, (if you think they are too young try supervising them first) and if they get too scared or you think it is inappropriate then turn it off. Overall it is a movie I have rewatched at least 5 times and is worth a watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjrstewart03 December 15, 2016
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2016

Scary and VERY supensful

My mom let me start watching this at age eleven and I am to the part where they attempt to get the face hugger of the guys face. I do want to say I was in much suspense. There were also many very cool scenes like when they first got on the alien ship.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNOname123 November 27, 2016

Ridley Scott's best film! But extremely scary.

Not too violent, but still extremely scary. Some strong language is used but it is infrequent, and used during the alien outbreak only. Lots of kids or early teens may possibly get nightmares, unless your a horror movie maniac leave this until age 16 and up.