Dated but still extremely scary. Not for younger kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 August 22, 2012

Scott's epic sci-fi classic is scary, but perfect for young teens

a pure gem to sit through, this film is great from the opening credits to the final words. younger kids and adults will enjoy this suspenseful frightfest, but some of the violence and language may be to intense for younger tweens. there is plenty of terror, but not much violence. there are chases, torchings, shootings, proddings, cuttings, a decapitation of a robot which then spews oil and fake flesh everywhere, a massive explosion, and the iconic scene of the chestburster exploding from Kanes chest, spewing blood everywhere. there is some strong language with uses of f**k, sh** and a**
Adult Written bydarkknightrises232 July 14, 2012

Too bloody and disturbing for children.

People are ripped to death by the alien(bloody), and the alien comes out of a guy's stomach(extremely bloody). There is three uses of f--k.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieCritic1415 July 6, 2012

Alien is NOT for young teens, preteens, and younger children.

Alien is an excellent blend of horror and mild violence. While not visually stunning and gory, Alien has some very STRONG themes that are expressed in scenes of unrelenting suspense. I have rated this movie 15+ because the suspense can cause younger kids to become extremely uncomfortable and paranoid. If you are squeamish, it isn't a big deal. No gore is present in the movie although a particular alien life form has a rather gross (again, themed) way of interacting with humans. Overall, if you want a thrill, or your kids want a thrill, why not take the spaceship of Alien, for a ride!
Kid, 9 years old June 1, 2012

GREAT MOVIE!

I wasnt even bad great flick
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2012

Not As Scary As You Would Expect

NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS NOT A REVIEW OF THE NEW DIRECTOR'S CUT. After reading so many reviews of this film, I thought I was in for a real fright. So I went to the library to borrow it. I got home at nighttime, and thought I would watch it the next day during the daytime. So I did exactly that. I found it somewhat atmospheric, chock full of jump scenes, gory, but it wasn't nightmare-inducing. I mean, the alien is in space, so how could it be in your house, right? It just wasn't that scary, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I actually loved the thrilling journey onboard the Nostromo from the first frame. I didn't rate it 5 stars because it was a bit slow-moving at times. I think CSM got it wrong on the "dated" part, because it was visually stunning. Now, in the year of 2012, it still grasped me with the sets and awesome special effects. The acting is pretty good, especially by Sigourney Weaver, who plays the main antagonist. The editing is well done. Fun Fact: the original cut of the film was 3 hr. 12 min! Ridley Scott enthralled me with his superb direction of the lingering shots of the Nostromo, creating immaculate atmospheric effect. The script was pretty okay, I guess. Nothing special here. Now, for the parental review. For violence, there is a lot. A lot of gore (will be explained later). Flamethrowers, guns, weapons, electric weapons, the whole package. *SPOILER ALERT* Ash beats up Ripley. Parker then knocks his head off. The gap between the neck and head has human parts and wires mixed together. Gross. In the next scene, it is shown in detail, and they connect the tubes together to make Ash say how to kill the alien. After that, before leaving the room, Parker uses a flamethrower to put flames to Ash's head and burn it. After one flash of flame, you see flesh on the head. After another, you see hard solid material in the shape of the head. Gory. *SPOILER END* For sexual content, there are pictures of naked women in one scene, and it's very explicit, but it's blurred out and the main focus is on Ash. Also, for getting ready for sleep, Ripley strips down to a shirt and panties. In the language department, there are about 5 F-bombs and mild obscenities. For drinking, there is very little drinking visible. There are no positive messages and role models, it's just all very intense. I wouldn't call this a classic, just a unique sci-fi horror.
Kid, 8 years old May 29, 2012

best for mature kids my age;from nut head

only the most mature kids.i'm only eight,i've seen an hour and 25 minutes and wasn't scared once!I say (R,for some strong blood, brief gore, some violence) i didn't see it all yet! looking forward to the end.
Adult Written byhomey335 May 28, 2012

Great 70s movie, but gory and some profane.

Violence: 8/10- Gory and violent attacking. Sexual Content: 6/10- A charcter strips. Language:7/10- 5 or 6 uses of f**k, along with godd*mn and b*tch. Drinking and drugs: 2/10- Beer is visible. Frightining scenes: 9/10- Extremely scary, espicially for younger viewers. Drinking and drugs: 2/10-
Adult Written byDieForDethklok May 16, 2012

Alien

Violent. Scary. Enough stated.
Teen, 15 years old Written by80sfan8 May 14, 2012

Tame for today's standards

Besides the chestburster scene this movie is tame for today's standards. There are posters of topless women in one scene, but not too noticable. Nothing a mature person can't handle.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydavstern May 14, 2012

Might scare kids, will be adventurous to teens.

I rate Alien iffy for ages 14-15 Parents need to know that although Alien is not as violent as it sounds, it still is pretty violent. It would still earn an R rating today, but it wouldn't be in the the gore-fest group. VIOLENCE: 4/5- A few but bloody alien attacks, usually w/ a lot of blood, sometimes spurting. A particularly disturbing scene is when a crew member is eating dinner, and starts to choke, and an alien tries a few times to come out if his chest, and eventually succeeds. Some may find it disturbing when Ash beats up Ripley. The alien itself may scare some. PROFANITY: 0/5- Only a few F words, other average PG13 language. SEX: 0/5- P-rn posters can briefly be seen while Ash beats up Ripley Movie related to Alien Aliens Predator The Thing Alien vs Preadator Aliens
Kid, 12 years old April 24, 2012

Not the scariest, but will scare young kids.

This movie is not bloody, however aliens eat some people. An alien comes out of someone's stomach. There is not too much language. I remember a few f words. There are a few what the h**l's. I think there are a few s words. An attack of a man beating up the woman. SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!! The human appeared to be a robot. Spoiler alert done. When something bad is about to happen, the woman saves a cat's life. Some drinking at dinner, but not too much. The nunity is a little of skin on the belly of a woman ahowen and very little of her butt is shown. Since this movie isn't bloody, but still violent, this movie should be good for anyone 15 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKingT0ASTER April 2, 2012

A masterpiece

This movie is one of the greatest movies of all times [Along with RoboCop, Terminator, Saw, and Hellraiser.]. It has little language, but when there is profanity it is of a stronger vocabulary.I thought this movie was great and I saw this when I was 4, and quite frankly, it has never been inappropriate in all of the years I've loved it. Giger is also a very good artist for the film. Giger makes amazing art that is famous all across the world, so you should check it out [unless you're a child, then you shouldn't because of the sexual content of his paintings]. Over all, this film is overwhelming and can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons March 24, 2012

The most frightening sci-fi ever?

This, and its sequel, are the most frightening movies I have ever seen. I walked out of the sequel twice! (When - spoiler alert - the little girl was given Ripley's tracker. OMG, something is going to happen to her. Quick exit into hallway!) In addition to pretty gory gore, the suspense is about as intense as it can become. Put is this way, my seven year-old has seen the Matrix and Terminator, but won't be going to this until he is 13/14.
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

The best scifi movie of 1979

It is not very scary and not that goriness but is suspenseful and awesome just know the kids
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar March 11, 2012

Amazing

great movie with a few f-bombs is really violent and scary. Not okay for younger viewers.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybaesean February 1, 2012

Greatest. Movie. Ever.

Seriously? 14!? This is a great movie that has stood the test of time, Common Sense. For it's time, this was high grade kind of stuff, however I have noticed that, while relatively creepy, this movie is kind of violent, but there is no blood, ironically, for an alien movie. I loved it and have loved it for 1 or 2 years now. Don't be mortified by it's R rated title and reputation for being extremely graphic and gory, because it's rated R because it was made before pg-13. And as for being graphic, go play Mortal Kombat, then we'll talk.
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2011

Very slow.

Not very fast paced, but had a very good plot. This is the kind of movie that everybody will react to differently.
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2011

Alien

i saw this film last night it is slow but that makes it good because its in space and an alien is on the ship. it is a bit scary and jumpy and a bit gory definately not for younger children.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineshadowrose October 21, 2011

pause

It took me a while to get in to this movie but it was good, whats not to like about a cute little face hugger that has acid for blood? note:The WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW thing is missing data when the robot was attacking her in the back round of his room was a bunch of prono but it's blurry and out of notice but my little brother Max age 8 was watching the movie with me and mad a point to say theres inappropriate stuff on the wall. The most violent part is the "chestburster" scene
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Sci-fi/horror classic is very scary. Stay away, little kids!

My MPAA rating: PG-13 (borderline with R) for some intense sci-fi violence, once bloody, frequent threat and horror, brief nudity, and infrequent strong language.