Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Alita: Battle Angel

Big effects, lifeless characters in sci-fi action tale.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySarah L. February 9, 2019

Not for young children - a lot of violence

This is a very interesting science fiction movie that has loads of violence in it. There is not a lot of blood, more mechanical liquid that is spilled when someone is just slightly ripped apart by another cyborg. There is one particular scene with a very clear swear word in it but most of the swearing is minimal and of low level (eg p**s me off). There is another scene that involves violence against an animal, but you don't see the act, although it is powerfully alluded to, with sound effects. The movie has been kept hypervisually stimulating, so that much of the violence is not realistic, but it is still a wild ride of weapons and destruction. Not for younger children, older teenagers would probably love it though, if they enjoy action movies.

Adult Written bynikkoid February 14, 2019

I have seen the movie (not like most who are giving bad rating)

The film is quite violent sometime but kids are playing video games and are familiar with this kind of violence... there is a lot of feelings and twists, and every kid is a little Alita by nature. For me it is for all people, very impressive movie. I am in Thailand and I am happy to see it before you guys, and man, forget the critics who are writing to get rewards or attention, this is not Ghost in the Shell, not Blade Runner, it is more like Star Wars the first movie. Huge wow factor. It will become a classic like Avatar. And shame to the ones who are vomiting on the movie without having seen it, Start Wars, Titanic and Avatar were not good for the critics, but it is the people who decide what is successful or not, and this movie is already a classic.

Adult Written byMoviemomof2teens February 13, 2019

I loved watching my kids watch the movie

I took my 2 young teens to see it Last night 2/13/19 and we all loved it. I liked that it has a good mix of action, romance, relationship building, story line and humor. The kids just said awesome. I enjoyed watching my 11 year old daughter go through the emotional rollercoaster with the lead character. My son enjoyed the action and the strength, physical, emotional and mental, of the lead character. It was great for both of them to see a strong lead female character. Graphics were great, story was great overall a 9/10

Adult Written byMythica February 17, 2019

I Don’t Know What Movie Critics Saw

It was astounding. It jumped around between arcs but it kept completely true to the manga and even the OVA. I don’t know what movie critics saw, but apparently none of them have read the source material. The casting was great, the graphics incredible. If you didn’t like the movie you clearly don’t know or understand the world it’s built in. It was clearly a labor of love and dedication because they kept so incredibly close and true to Gunnm. Truly the best anime/manga to live action adaption I’ve ever seen.
Adult Written byMavrik85 February 18, 2019

Best movie of the year

I'm absolutely shocked at that 60% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Many don't know the origin of the movie and so they criticize without realizing the 1993 anime is actually more violent. If you liked Hunger Games, Divergent and other movies along those lines you'll love this movie.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byGerald Z. February 17, 2019
Adult Written byEmmit29 February 13, 2019

Really not what I expected in a good way

This movie was one I just wasn't sure about it till I saw the first showing today and it was pretty thrilling it had so much going on there was so much fun the action level was high so was the fun level if you have a kid that's not ready for happy death day or isn't it romantic take them to see this

Adult Written byrichard roma February 20, 2019

nothing like i seen before

3D excellent. great story, imagery and action. some reviews made me think i had backed a three legged horse in buying advance tickets but this film thrilled my 10 and 11 hear olds. a couple of swear words towards last third and people getting stabbed with swords i think has thrle bien pensants throwing this in with the food scraps to stop a sequel
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byJoshua H. February 20, 2019

Would be R if it were humans instead of robots

Robots get chopped in half, and there are so many limbs lost, that even Star Wars would say it's excessive. But because it's bloodless, it's PG-13, whereas if this were the exact same movie with humans and not robots it would be hard R.

Adult Written bysupergonzo February 19, 2019

Titantic, Avatar, Bladerunner and Rollerball mixed into one bad ass action film

Its very very good movie, action packed, decent story
Adult Written byTheGamers'Voice February 17, 2019

A gripping sci-fi tale that leaves me wanting more

First off, as others have said, this film features a LOT of martial art violence, primarily centered around cyborg characters who bleed blue fluids. Considering the source material, I'm glad it's not any worse. The film's primary message is a positive one: you aren't defined by your appearance, nor what people think of you. It has a strong female character who isn't afraid to stand up for her beliefs, and is never presented to the audience as a sex object or "eye candy," no pun intended. Good film, was much better than I anticipated, even though I'm not familiar with the source material.

Adult Written bySwiftrivermom February 15, 2019

THIS IS A RATED R MOVIE

Adult themes and shocking violence, with very dark undertones. The worst though: despite it appearing to be a girl-power flick, there was very obvious weak- female stereotyping portrayed in the dialogue as well as the narrative. Really? At this stage we need to expose our kids to the presentation of girls being emotional and helpless? Oh and by the way, there's not a single positive message or storyline that's at all interesting. Whatever you do, DON'T see this movie. If I could take back my $ from the movie's earnings, I so would!

Adult Written byBobbob222 February 14, 2019

A great movie that hopefully brings many more like it!

It is refreshing to see a movie that feels to be done as it was written . There doesn't seem to be any short cuts or half measures done and it shows. It is a movie that can be seen multiple times .
Adult Written byStevie111 February 15, 2019

Very well done sci-fi action movie with plenty of strong violence

Alita Battle Angel definitely isn't perfect, but if you take it for what it is, it is a fun action film with beautiful effects. The story is interesting enough. The action scenes are mind blowing and there are plenty of them. The film is extremely violent, especially considering the PG-13 rating. There wasn't a lot of red human blood, but it would drip from bodies occasionally. Lots of blue cyborg blood. Human and cyborg characters are dismembered. It can get pretty brutal since guns are barely used. Characters are usually torn apart, stabbed, or just beaten to a pulp. There is also stronger language here and there. Overall it was a very good action movie. I would definitely recommend it.

Parent Written byDadMan1 February 21, 2019

Like A Fast Paced Video Game

Didn't know anything about the manga before going to see this but it didn't make a difference as my wife and kids all enjoyed the movie - especially in 3-D. It contained fast paced action sequences and great special effects. Story line was good also, as it described a girl filled with hope and kick-butt action moves that stood up to evil when all others could or would not. There was some cyborg-on-cyborg violence but no sex scenes or nudity or drug use, so that is a plus. Best part was that my daughters came out feeling empowered afterwards, so a definite recommend. FYI - no post credit scenes.

Adult Written bySenjmili February 16, 2019

Adult Written byAgustin Lara February 26, 2019

What a great Family movie. Strong PG.

My wife and teen daughter loved it. My younger 8 year old love it too, but she covered her eyes during some of the battles. Great pace, fun, and strong finish. Hope they make the sequel.

Parent Written byCriticus February 24, 2019

Terrific Manga Adaption

The whole world is finding out the critics are wrong. This movie is no such fail as any popular editorial will have you believe. Sure, the script needs some work - sure, the plot's something of a tangled web. But that isn't going to stop anyone from liking this film. In fact, it may have surprisingly little effect on audience's overall score, as it did on mine. I accept that Alita: Battle Angel isn't the angelic perfection we could have hoped for. The dialog and concepts are sometimes a little laughable, sometimes a little goofy. Granted! On the other hand, no-one can fault the incredible detail etched into every pixel of Alita's gorgeously photorealistic visage. As often accomplished by professional acting, the energetic personality Rosa Salazar injects into the story really steals the show, channeling our passion into praise for her absorbing realisation of a character whose legacy could have run off the rails as simply as Mowgli's uncanny valley creatures did. Alita shows off a range of emotions, from childishness to romantic love; from anger to compassion. And she seems to have captured the admiration of many theatre-goers, as the vast majority of non-critic reviewers tend to rally about this unprecedented, unique, CG character. But the wild imaginations of Rodrigues and Cameron dare not stop here. Alita's enemies (of which we have quite a variety in the movie) are also horrifyingly realised, if lacking any sort of depth Alita may exhibit. Christoph Waltz, Keean Johnson, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali make a nice medley of human characters. I didn't see the weighty emotional themes coming, but surprisingly the movie blends spectacular action with some fairly intense moments. There's absolutely a lot of violence, so I wouldn't recommend this one for younger kids. Cyborgs are beheaded, torn in half, faces slashed, limbs lost, etc. It's not an R-rated movie, but it's for sure a hard PG-13. Apart from some more mild language ("sh**", "cr*p", "p*ss", "pr*ck", "b*tch", ) there is a single and explicit use of the F-word. A character is once shown reclining in light, partly revealing (though not explicit) clothing; Alita's costume is tight and some would say sexualised; some women with low collars and exposed cleavage are shown briefly; generally all lewd content is alluded to, creating the right atmosphere without giving in to gratuity. In closing, I definitely recommend this movie as a very enjoyable, worthwhile cinema experience (especially seeing it has been received rather coldly thus far) primarily for older audiences. Alita may be the last of Twentieth Century Fox's major releases before its Disney merger is complete, and while I resent that change, I encourage a show of support for Fox's very attractive final stand.
Adult Written bySadman February 24, 2019

An amazing film. The professional critics are wrong about this one

20 years in the making, Alita Battle Angel is the female superhero movie we've been waiting for. An amazing, very faithful (not 100% but close enough) adaptation of the original manga, with a lot of heart, appealing characters (even among the bad guys), and a lead performance that rivals the great Andy Serkis' work in terms of CGI characters. I really don't get why the pro critics have it in on this while nearly everybody who sees the film raves about it. I haven't seen this level of positive word of mouth for a film in years, and I'm happy to add to it. I say the film is fine for 13 year olds and up. If they're OK with the level of violence and mayhem in a Marvel or DC movie - or even on a lot of TV shows - then they'll be fine. Language is a non-issue; a couple of swear words are barely audible and the single use of the F-word is done effectively and with impact. And considering what had just been done to the character, totally justified. As for other issues, there's no sexual content beyond a slightly sensual romantic scene that goes no further than a fully clothed kiss. Some websites have been harping about the "sexualization" of the character, which I'm going to say is utter nonsense. There is no sexualization beyond the fact there's a moment where the lead character "matures". Folks who harp about that yet have no problem with Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, have their priorities skewed. I also greatly disagree with CSM's low rating for role-models. Ignoring the fact that this is a world where people making a living killing wanted criminals (so, yeah, not very positive here), Alita is a very admirable character, as is Dr. Ido, and even a few of the villainous characters show redeeming qualities. The only scene in the film that I can see worth giving a true warning about is the scene with the dog (as detailed in the Violence section of the review). For those who might be disturbed by that, the makers of Alita have released what appears to have been a deleted scene showing that the dog's fate (without spoiler) is different than perhaps suggested. My advice on Alita: ignore the professional critics and pay attention to the word of mouth from people who have been going to see this movie 5, 6 times in just its first week of wide release. There's reason for this excitement.

Adult Written bythanongsinh February 23, 2019

everyone must see Alita

This is the best movie i've ever watched. i feel some kind of energy from this movie through Alita's life, story behind and love. its worth to spending time on this movie. for me there are many things i can learn to apply in my life in possitive way through her charector.