Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for All Dogs Go to Heaven

Intense animated adventure has peril, drinking, smoking.

Adult Written byholly_hoyt June 12, 2016

I wish I lived in a world where this movie didn't exist

Here's a quick summary of a review I've wanted to write for a long time, simply because this movie has both terrified and infuriated me since I was a kid:
It's horrible and it should never have been made.
Here's the full version:
This movie, which comes to us from famed animator and sadist Don Bluth, centers around an anthropomorphic German Shepard who gets whacked by his business partner. Most, if not all, the dogs in this movie are seen gambling, drinking, and otherwise rabble-rousing in various ways throughout the film. It's pretty inappropriate for a kids' film - but that ain't the half of it.
Why the HELL (yes that's a joke but this is serious so don't laugh) does this movie insist upon exposing its young audience to the concept of eternal damnation?
I am not a religious person, but I'll respect your views unless you show me I shouldn't. It is one thing to raise your children religiously and teach them that they're bound for Hell if they lie, steal, gamble, etc. It is another thing to expose them to the idea of Hell in such a graphic, disturbing way - and if you show them this movie, that's what you're doing.
I wasn't raised to believe in Hell, but this movie fueled a pathological fear of eternal punishment in my young self. To be fair, I was diagnosed with multiple anxiety disorders at around eight years old, so it's a little personal for me.
Still, I can't forgive it for feeding my fear of the unknown so badly, because that's what its intention seems to be: to scare the bejesus out of kids.
If your child has been taught that Hell is real, don't show them this film; they'll never sleep again. If you are raising your child to be open-minded regarding the afterlife and aim to encourage them to think for themselves, don't show them this film; it has talking dogs and singing gators. Or if you do not believe in Hell and would prefer your child did not get wrapped up in worries about being sent there, don't show them this movie. Trust me. The therapy will cost you.

Adult Written bynobaddreams November 19, 2011

This is for kids? I think not!

I cannot believe this movie is for kids. The movie is based on an orphan girl who has been kidnapped by dogs. She is "rescued" by the main character when he realizes that she can talk to animals. He "rescues" or shall I say kidnaps her from her kidnappers, so that she can see which rats are not feeling well. That way he can pick the right rats to win the rat races so he can settle his gambling debts- which he has already faked his death to avoid, but was found alive. There are many references to drinking, smoking, and gambling in this movie. In the end, the main character does the right thing, but do you really want your kids to see how far he had to come to get it right? Terrible movie.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

this movie scared me when I was little

It's too graphic for little kids; it really scared me when I was young.
Adult Written byLiz115 February 12, 2019

Intense, exciting, and teaching.

There is drinking, smoking, gambling, and violence in this movie. However that is not the message of the movie. You should help your children in finding the deeper meaning to things. This movie has been one of my favorites since I can remember and no I don’t drink, smoke, or get in trouble with the law, it never gave me nightmares, and I’ve never gambled... So to the people saying this movie is so aweful maybe you should be more confident in your teachings for your children. This movie portrays all of this stuff as very bad and shows the right choice being made at the end. The main character had an aweful life until he finally made the right choices. If anything this movie should assist you in teaching your children about the real world. At some point in there life a friend will offer drugs or alcohol and if they don’t see the terrible things that can happen because of that they may just accept and try the drugs or alcohol. I now watch this with my four year old as I watched it since I was 2. It’s all about perspective and how you teach your children. Sugar coating will leave your children struggling later on in life.

Adult Written byayxmu January 11, 2019

Can Y'all Chill?

A lot of people are trashing this movie because its darker... Uh hello? You have to be aware it was released in 1989 where people were a lot less sensitive about everything.
Overall it has a warm message and charm, so i really dont see the problem.
I think its better to be realistic in cartoons rather than sugar coating everything.
"All Dogs Go To Heaven" is harmless and a good movie if you just want to cry.

Adult Written byCrystalkittycat18 August 28, 2018

A film from my childhood

All dogs go to heaven is a wonderful film, it is one of the most emotional animation films I have ever seen at the end. This is a 1980s film, and the content is a bit extreme for young children (this is coming from a huge fan of the film, just being honest), although
I would not say that this film is scary for children.
The content of films in the 1980s , even some children’s films used to be a little bit more graphic than today. This film must be watched by everyone atleast once in their life. Despite wondering if the PG rating should be changed a little higher, I would reccomend families watch this film as it is heart warming too, but also such a heart breaking story line, I love it.

Parent Written byChris G. August 13, 2017

Great movie

This is a great movie with a good story. The reviews I've seen here show people really do not watch what the movie is about before they give negative reviews. The movie has some elements of drinking smoking and gambling, but nothing out of the ordinary for the time it was released.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

Heavenly fun for everyone!

Should be rated PG for some smoking, gambling and scary moments.

Adult Written byDissy July 1, 2012

Amazing for the people who appreciate it

All Dogs Go to Heaven will forever be one of my favorite films and have enjoyed it since i was about five. I remember rushing downstairs every morning to put it on and watch it. It's somewhat dark and gritty style just make it even more original plus the older you get the more jokes you understand. I only recently watched it (now 19) and the amount of stuff i used to shrug my shoulders and not understood at the time (not that it bothered me) i suddenly did and that made it even better than i previously thought.

As previously mentioned it has rather dark and somewhat sinister undertones with a very gritty setting definitely gives people a break from the squeaky clean animations of today. Though much appreciated by someone like myself, parents who wish to give their children a more strict / protective up bringing should steer clear of it. (Drinking, Violence, Smoking, Gambling, Fire arms etc)

An amazing and original film for the somewhat older kids and adults alike. For all the people who believe this film is a bad influence. As mentioned i loved it when i was five... and for the record i don't smoke, never gambled and only drink on the odd occasion.

Parent of a 11 year old Written by[email protected] June 16, 2011

yes children can watch it the age of 5 good age to see it!

the movie is cute children are aloud to watch it a very nice funny family film !

Educational Value
Adult Written byCharlie B. Barkin January 18, 2010
This movie is a perfect 10 in my book. This movie was funny, suspensful, and very powerful. This movie has the most powerful movie ever. It always makes me tear up because Anne Marie says goodbye to Charlie reminds me of the moments when I had to say my final goodbyes to past loved ones including my dogs. It brought back all of those emotions of loving them and never forgetting them but needing to move on without forgetting.

Also Charlie does make a personanilty change from the beginning where he is just using Anne Marie to make money to the end when he actually cares about her and gives up his own live to save her life. Which is so touching, now that is the way I would want to die saving the lives of others like the firefighters, policemen, and paramedics that tragically died being a true hero on 911.

Charlie is a true definition of a hero he not perfect not at all I mean he is involved in gambling and owns his own illegal casino but has a heart much bigger than the one beating away in his body.Charlie isn's a typical kid movie hero he has many flaws about himself which makes him more human not just some perfect fantacy with his older brother like sidekick Itchy who always tries to keep him in line but what Itchy tells him throughout the course of the movie eventually changes him from evil to good.

And in this movie the villain is a true villain. Carface which is a play off the name Scarface is voiced perfectly by Vic Tayback with his rusty voice is so powerful and scary. He truely isn't a good dog and will do anything to kill Charlie I mean he framed Charlie and got him on death row (pound) killed him with his car, but Charlie came back to life, and eventually Carface kills him by threatening to kill the one person Charlie truely cares about Anne Marie and dies saving her.

I do recomend the second movie not as sad or as good animation but overall a more uplifting and cheery movie. Charlie has same personality.

R.I.P

Judith Barsi (Anne Marie)
Dom DeLuise (Itchy)
Vic Tayback (Carface)
Charles Nelson Reilly (Killer)
Adult Written byDarkseid July 7, 2019

A dark movie with heart

Loved the movie, but I am not offended by the portrayal of life happy or sad. This movie forced me to explain Hell for the first time to my kids as they knew of only Heaven after you die and the movie had a shadowy figure that would belong in heaven. Story was cute, but some parts went over the heads of my 5 and 6 year old. Though the lesson of being selfless was not lost on them.

Adult Written byKathryn G. April 29, 2019

The "G" Rating is Misleading

All I have to say is that parents should remember that "G" in the 1980s meant something different than it does now. There are plenty of blatant references to or visuals showing smoking, drinking, gambling, etc. It is an enjoyable story overall, if you don't mind your child watching these things.

Adult Written bycinephile-27690 April 18, 2019

Good for mature kids.

When I was 11, this was my favorite movie, now it's just alright. Still, it's fun for mature kids. There is a nightmare set in Hell, murder, smoking, gambling, drunkenness, etc., so be warned before showing small kids.

Adult Written byHolly R. March 4, 2019

You can't keep a good dog down!

For the parents concerned about the dogs gambling, committing murder, stealing, and other terrible things, those choices are portrayed as "bad". Those things are shown in such a way that when I watched this as a really young child (about 3 or 4 years old) it actually taught me that drinking is BAD because it makes Charlie too drunk to realize that he's being tricked into being murdered. It taught me that being dishonest hurts others because when Charlie lied to Anne Marie and then told Itchy he "was just using her" and was going to dump her at the orphanage instead of finding her a family like he promised, she over heard and cried. Charlie is flawed and when he realized that his actions hurt others he does his best to make it right. This is a movie that shows how our bad actions can affect others in negative ways and that taking the responsibility to learn from our mistakes and correct them that we can have a better life (or after life). It's a dark movie that uses poor choices and the consequences of those choices to show that those are things that you shouldn't do. And while it takes a long time for Charlie to finally do the right thing, every bad thing that he did catches up with him and he learns his lesson the hard way. He grows to care for the little girl so much that he regrets all the bad things he did that hurt her and then sacrifices his life to save her from death. In one of the final scenes Anne Marie is about to drown and the watch that is keeping Charlie alive is sinking in the water and if it stops Charlie will die. Instead of saving himself by saving his watch, he saves Anne Marie instead. I was able to pick up on most of this at a young age and it left a lasting positive effect on me. It's a beautiful dark film with a positive message about good choices versus bad choices. The bad choices have bad effects on the characters and those around them and the good choices, while difficult to make are rewarded with good. Charlie was told by the Whippet angel that once he stole the watch he could NEVER go back to heaven. He knew that when he chose Anne Marie instead of the watch but he finally did the right thing and the Whippet angel stops Charlie from going to Hell because he finally did the right thing. Beautiful ending and love survives indeed.

Adult Written bylilpeepstan January 30, 2019

ONE OF MY FAVORITES

I'm 13 so I have no idea why it's saying I'm an adult, but the movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven" may contain some pretty uh, not kid friendly things, like references to smoking, drinking, gambling, kidnapping, and stealing but other than that I think that Don Bluth did an amazing job on this movie. The animation is great and some things that might fly over the kids heads but the parents will definitely like this movie. I think that you should get together with your family, put this movie on, and just sit back and enjoy.
Adult Written byRarityfan September 7, 2018

RIP Burt Reynolds

RIP Burt Reynolds. Burt Reynolds did the voice of Charlie in this movie. Some violence and sad scenes. Of consumerism there are casinos and various DVD and Vhs versions of the Don Bluth cartoons.

Adult Written byTiffani W. August 19, 2018

It’s scary

It has stealing and it has rude humor and scary scenes and some sad scenes

Adult Written bySaucy June 20, 2018

Such a sweet story

Sure, it may be dark, but it's a classic.
Adult Written byRavenflightTheN... March 17, 2016

All Dogs Go To Heaven

My family and I once sat down and watched this when I was 6 or 7. About halfway through, we turned it off and never watched it again. I don't regret not giving it a rewatch either! Really freaky movie; NOT FOR KIDS!