All member reviews for Almost Famous

Great, but lots of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byMom-an-em April 10, 2009

Great Movie and Pretty Accurate too.

This is a very funny movie. I saw it in the theaters when it was released but also watched it last night on DVD with my 14 year old daughter and she really enjoyed it. Yes there are a few bad words but all in all this is a really tame R-rated movie. You can really have fun with discussions afterward about "the rock lifestyle" and how things have changed. The main character, a 15 year old boy, ends up writing an article for Rolling Stone Magazine. I thought it was good for my daughter to see that something like that could happen with a bit of perseverance, pushiness and talking to the right people. This is loosely based on Cameron Crowes life and he directed it so I guess he ought to know. Very good movie overall.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysmokeydiablo April 9, 2008

This movie is so good...

...it has influenced me to choose the career path that I have. Brilliant acting, brilliant script, brilliant music; truly a must-see.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymiranda1993 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byasecoolish February 2, 2011
a really good movie that never bores you. great for teens and great for people who love music some sensuality but it doesn't push it very brief nudity it lasts about 0.7 seconds and u cant really see much.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 29, 2010
Great movie! I loved it! But it's definitely not for children or tweens. It's all about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll and they aren't shy about any of it in this movie.
Adult Written byfoxxyemceelouise January 14, 2011
If it's nudity you're concerned about - there's only very brief upper female nudity. There's sexual references of course because the girls are groupies and at one point discuss the main character's virginity (but you don't see the actual sex at all). Swearing, drinking and drugs would be the other concerns. Kate Hudson's character overdoses when she gets upset. At a party, there is drinking and drugs such as acid. Swearing; just 'f--k' and 'sh-t' here and there but nothing more than this. Definitely for older kids 13+, might be a bit iffy for 12 year olds if you're willing to let them see breif nudity and use of drugs.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylelexy2000 October 24, 2009

Almost Famous

I thought almost famous was the best movie because i love the actresses Kate Hudson, Anna Paquin and Zooey Deschannel. And i also thought the actor Patrick Fugit was really awesome too because that was his first major lead in a major motion picture. And his drama teacher in utah sent his audtion tape in to hollywood. i thought it was absoulety an amazing journey for him. I've like to own the directors cut edition to listen to the commentary
Teen, 17 years old Written byDave's Picks January 22, 2016

Excellent feel good movie for families

This is an excellent film for the entire family, the 16+ rating is ridiculous. The film is a coming of age tale that is a much watch, with excellent performances from all parties involved. The movie honestly should be pg-13, the only thing keeping it from being that is a small handful of f bombs, and a brief glimpse of naked breast that last less than 2 seconds. Overall excellent movie, do not hesitate to watch this as a family, nothing explicit is ever shown.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 27, 2012

almost famous

Wilson) sound right at home with the sterling selection of actual songs from the pre-disco days. Patrick Fugit's star-making debut as the young hero William is but one of many funny and touching performances. Frances McDormand, the star of movies as diverse as Madeline and Fargo, continues to prove she's one of today's finest actors. Families can talk about the "rock star" lifestyle, as it's presented here. How accurate do you think the movie is? How do you think real musicians and other celebrities handle sudden fame and fortune? How has media attention to stars changed since the time period presented here?
Adult Written bybdub79 April 9, 2008