Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Almost Famous

Great, but lots of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 29, 2010
Great movie! I loved it! But it's definitely not for children or tweens. It's all about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll and they aren't shy about any of it in this movie.

Parent Written byHappyMom A. July 9, 2017

Great Movie for Teens Who Are Ready

I loved this movie when it first came out, and I am looking forward to being able to watch it with my teen. I am holding off due to the normalization of drug use, but the central character does have an awfully good time without them. There are actually some strong anti-drug messages in the movie as well, which may help balance the impact. There are some inappropriate sexual relationships (adult men with teenage girls-maybe they are 18 and the men are 20-somethings, and it was the '70s, but still, not great). Overall, though, a great coming-of-age story about an ambitious teen boy navigating an adult world in a mostly-responsible way. The characters are endearing, and the central character does offer a mostly-good role model through his responsibility and kindness toward others as he navigates some interesting ethical questions and comes through with integrity. A solid 14 year-old may be able to handle the sex scenes and nudity, but it may be best to wait until 16 for this one, depending on teens' maturity level and parents' comfort with exposing kids to sexuality (uncommitted sexual relationships abound in this flick).

Adult Written byfoxxyemceelouise January 14, 2011
If it's nudity you're concerned about - there's only very brief upper female nudity. There's sexual references of course because the girls are groupies and at one point discuss the main character's virginity (but you don't see the actual sex at all).

Swearing, drinking and drugs would be the other concerns. Kate Hudson's character overdoses when she gets upset. At a party, there is drinking and drugs such as acid.

Swearing; just 'f--k' and 'sh-t' here and there but nothing more than this.

Definitely for older kids 13+, might be a bit iffy for 12 year olds if you're willing to let them see breif nudity and use of drugs.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byMom-an-em April 10, 2009

Great Movie and Pretty Accurate too.

This is a very funny movie. I saw it in the theaters when it was released but also watched it last night on DVD with my 14 year old daughter and she really enjoyed it. Yes there are a few bad words but all in all this is a really tame R-rated movie. You can really have fun with discussions afterward about "the rock lifestyle" and how things have changed. The main character, a 15 year old boy, ends up writing an article for Rolling Stone Magazine. I thought it was good for my daughter to see that something like that could happen with a bit of perseverance, pushiness and talking to the right people. This is loosely based on Cameron Crowes life and he directed it so I guess he ought to know. Very good movie overall.
Adult Written bybdub79 April 9, 2008