All parent member reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked

Adult Written bymaytwentytwelvebaby January 16, 2012

Definitely NOT a "G" rating

I really enjoyed the movie- it was funny and entertaining. There were lots of funny jokes and other things that kept the audience laughing. I liked the movie BUT, it should definitely not have been given a G rating. A few of the things I think for sure warrant a PG are: -The chippettes' suggestive outfits and dancing in the club -Gambling -The 3 "ladies" in the club wearing short dresses with cleavage and dancing very suggestively -On the cruise ship deck, there were women in bikinis and men without shirts lying on lounge chairs and tanning in the sun. -Although there was no drinking by any of the characters, there was a mention of virgin cocktails at the beginning of the film and on the ship and in the club, there was drinking by the "extras" and drinks sitting around and being passed out by waiters. -There was also a budding romance between two of the 'munks, with couple's dancing and "Simone" kissing Jeanette's hand and all the way up her arm. -Zoe, the antagonist, was very creepy and scary. She kidnapped one of the chippettes, tied her up, and forced her to climb into a dark cave to retrieve treasure. -In terms of positive/negative lessons for children: The chipmunks all befriended this strange crazy lady, followed her home, and accompanied her on various outings. Zoe (an adult) also engaged in risky and dangerous behaviors and encouraged the chipmunks to join her. She also taunted them when they were too scared or "uptight" to join her. -Zoe also had sports balls with faces that were very creepy and scary. -Dangerous life-threatening situations and activities: They were on an island with an active volcano about to erupt and dodging balls of fire crashing around them. The characters also crossed over a deep ravine of a few hundred feet by balancing on a rotted tree trunk balanced across. Again, I do not have a problem with any of these aspects and would take my children to see the film, but it should have been given a G rating
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 7, 2012

alvin and the chipmunks chip wrecked

Families can talk about how the relationship between Dave and the Chipmunks is depicted. How does Alvin learn about the consequences of his behavior? Are the Chipettes too suggestive in their dances and song choices? Would it be different if the characters were human instead of chipmunks? What does Simon learn about his personality after "waking up" from being the more adventurous, flirtatious "French" Simon?
Parent Written bybluskies May 16, 2012

Makes casinos attractive for kids

The movie takes us inside a casino where grown ups are holding wine glasses and gambling. Then, there was a dance "fight" between few girls who are dressed in revealing clothes and the female chipmunks. That was at the beginning of the movie. What is disturbing is that the casino scene was presented in a "happy" and attractive way. Kids will want to be there! The movie is not appropriate for children. And I suspect that there is a drive to make the new generation not think twice about going into a casino.
Educator and Parent Written byCindyBroxbeath April 16, 2012

Uhg

Uhg
Parent Written byCamisita January 27, 2012

Great family movie

Great for families, we loved it! Totally family appropriate. Shows positive influences of family is important, teamwork, and forgiveness.
Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion January 9, 2012

Once was enough

As expected with a Chipmunk movie, this was cute but corny. The jokes really fell flat. My kids did enjoy it, but I can't say the same for adult viewers.
Parent Written byHope Lang January 11, 2012

The Chipettes stole the show

The only complaint that I have was the price of the movie and snacks. It cost 32.00 for 2 children ages 7 and 9 and 2 adults. The snacks were 49.00 for not a whole lot. The movie was wonderful. We laughed all the way through it. I thought the outfits for the girl chipettes were fine since they were on chipmunks. If real girls were wearing these I would say it would be a bit much for little children.
Parent Written byCrakr January 8, 2012

Very fun 4 children

Shows that dave will go beyond measures to save his "family"
Parent Written byJackie&Josie's Mommy May 27, 2012

Alright I suppose!

I think this movie is fine for kids about 7 and older; however, I do think it's important to KNOW YOUR CHILD, seeing as how the chipettes are a tad bit risque! I believe it all depends on how you're raising your child and what you feel they should be exposed to. I personally would rather they leave all the flirting and sexy-related jokes to the grown-up movies, but overall, if you don't mind your kids seeing it, it's an all-right movie!
Parent Written byPicklesMcGee January 11, 2012

Lacking

I took my four year old to see this. I personally had enjoyed the firs two films, but this one was a bit of a drag. My son got bored half way through and started wandering around, and the dialogue was disinteresting and a lot of the references lost on him.
Educator and Parent Written byzoo wee mom ma January 7, 2012

hi

Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

ok

This is a good movie
Adult Written byNerdyNette August 20, 2013

The best of the three rat-infested movies, but still terrible. They still are small rodents who do not live up to the name "The Chipmunks." Seriously, watch the cartoon. This is TERRIBLE.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byMimi37 October 13, 2012

Some scary scenes (meanness and danger)

I don't have major complaints about this movie. To my surprise, I even found the chipmunks cute. There were some scenes I didn't love for the values they modeled, in particular the sassy girl-fight dance-off (I just don't think it's cute for little girls to be sassy trash-talkers...). But the main thing was that my 6yo and another 6yo acquaintance of ours were both really scared in parts. The characters were in a lot of peril. The worst for my daughter was a snarly, attacking fish that sort of appeared out of nowhere when a chipmunk jumped in water. An adult character went from harmless crazy to nearly-murderous crazy. Dave got stuck dangling from a breaking log bridge while Alvin screams, "Please! Please! Help me save my dad!!" (yikes). And THEN the volcano explodes. Fireballs, billowing smoke clouds, rocks crashing down all around as the characters flee. I think most kids would do ok with this content, but if your child is prone to being scared by movies (especially scenes of meanness/cruelty or characters in peril), then "Chip-Wrecked" could be hard on them.