All member reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks

CGI critters are silly and sassy but mostly kid-friendly.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysillycomb March 23, 2011

all ages admitted

They could have made this movie a little better. The movie was pretty obvious.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byDawnyDawn January 19, 2010

Not good for 6 or under

Don't like the suggestive language and clothing.
Adult Written bybskinner April 9, 2008

I was disgusted with the backup singers/ dancers

This was a movie like many ruined by some of the content. The backup singers/dancers were dressed very provocativelyy. I did not appreciate my 11 year old boy being exposed to all the female skin and sexually provocative dancing that they produced. Just because it was in the background did not make it any less offensive. Another example of the media exposing our kids to things we wouldn't. They also included "bubbly" (champagne). Why do our kids need exposed to this? Because Hollywood wants to shape their values. We shouldn't fall for it as parents. Don't become numb by exposure.
Adult Written bysoulmait@comcast.net December 12, 2009

Randy humor too old for children under 12

My husband & I watched it trying to decide if we were going to let our 3 girls (7/01/12) see it. I realize I am in the minority here, stating that it's not appropriate for children under 13. It would be a completely harmless movie, perfect for children, with the exception of 2 or 3 comments. Those include 'You're hot', 'She wanted you', but especially the comment about 'Making love to the camera'. They could have made this movie completely kid-friendly except for those few comments - why were they necessary? Children don't need to hear such inappropriate comments.
Adult Written byplatedslates April 9, 2008

portrayl of and toward women ruined it for me, chipmunks were adorable

Small kids might be oblivious to this. Regardless of persons age, there were so many inappropriate portrayals of women in this movie. The chipmunks themselves were amazing and the animation,...etc. This movie is NOT a cartoon, but has real people and real seeming chipmunks. When he shows up at work, all these females come from every direction suggestively under the guise of innocense. There are various times where females are glamoured up and wear revealing clothes. The movie could have been good otherwise. I saw another movie with a red for the sexual square, and found this movie more offensive in my opinion. The chipmunks themselves were great and charming.
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2015

Just terrible

The music is pain to my ears.
Kid, 12 years old April 29, 2010

Not really educational, but just plain fun!!

There is nothing overly bad, and there is nothing Innapropriate on this film. There is a bit of a message here, but nothing overly outstanding. I also think that there is a bit of comsumerisim, but that it pretty mild, and is always found in pop-culture. Overall, I give this a 7 out of 10, and a B+.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolteenager01 August 29, 2014

Don't Believe Other Critics, believe Common Sense Media and other people.

You know critics can be right and they can be wrong too. But what I think of this film, it is really good. It's just that the critics out there don't know what they're talking about. It's not the critics from Common Sense Media I'm talking about, it's the other critics. You know when I looked at two of these movies, it says 2 stars for both of the movies. I am beginning to think that they're just not liking films and giving it 2 stars or less. Really, critics! Well, I think you should stop listening to those critics and just post your own review on Common Sense Media and say what you think. Good family movie and the critics give it 2 stars, doesn't make sense. Don't listen to them, watch it. It's great!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebo344 March 3, 2016

Passable.

It's fine. Not the best, not the worst. I'm not feeling it, so C.
Kid, 8 years old June 22, 2015

Violent, hilarious comedy is fantastic.

My rating:G
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Perfect comedy for all ages!

Except for a few dodgy parts with A man called IAN Alvin and the chipmunks is a perfect heartfelt comedy for all ages.
Kid, 10 years old July 6, 2016

Funny and fun

theres nothing bad about it i would let everybody watch it. its also really funny. ;)
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge critical reviews February 21, 2016
Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2016

Ok movie, not the best

It isn't too good but it's ok, I don't like all the partying scenes though so I skipped through them. I would recommend skipping through them if you have young children watching.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge critic December 28, 2015

Adorable family comedy has great role models

My rating:G
Kid, 11 years old August 25, 2015

So cute!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is like a classic. It is a cute, inspiring film about a struggling songwriter named Dave who feels like his life is wreaked when three talking chipmunk hitch a ride to his house. But soon he realizes that they may be the key to improving his songs an unlikely friendship blossoms. This is funny, original and a "feel-good" movie that the whole family will definitely enjoy.
Adult Written byRadeonAMD June 10, 2015

Consumerisum everywere, otherwise, decent

this includes to much consumerism. the movie is about 35% buying things and 10% getting things.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy November 24, 2014

This was like "my movie" as a kid

I probably saw this movie for the first time when I was about 8. I don't know how many times I watched it but I know its a lot. I remember it having some suggestive dancing and maybe a bit of mild language. Some crude humor too, but its fine for almost anyone. Now I realize though that this movie isn't very good, but it gets 4 stars for its part in my childhood haha.
Kid, 9 years old May 30, 2014

a cute movie

i used to watch this all the time and loved it the chipmunks are in peril sometimes
Teen, 16 years old Written byDylanLeviiHiggiNobth May 9, 2014

Chipmunk mischief unleashed!

This movie features cartoon violence, suggestive content, innuendo, mild consumerism, and immaturity. NOTE: The cartoon violence warning was for parents who have any kids under 8. So it's on for ages 10+, iffy for ages 9- and off for ages 5-