All member reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks

CGI critters are silly -- but very kid-friendly.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysillycomb March 23, 2011

all ages admitted

They could have made this movie a little better. The movie was pretty obvious.
Educator Written byscatney April 9, 2008

I cried! Where are the real Alvin, Simon and Theodore?!

What a disappointment. I saw this with a friend so we could decide whether to take our kids (ages 6 and 7). I should have known with the most recent cartoon redos that this would be more of the same style updating. Crude behavior, sexy dress, and plenty of potty mouthed sexual innuendo to boot. The chipmunks that I remember were mischievous but more in a Dennis the Mennace sort of way. The Chipmonks 2007 are far too Bart Simpson. I'm not sure what movie makers are thinking. A film that is marketed towards kids would do much better at the box office if it really was a kids movie. I have 3 and I won't be buying tickets for them. I am part of several Mom's groups and have shared my opinions with other moms. When someone comes across something great for kids, we all jump at the chance to share the experience with our kids. When we come across something like this Chipmunk movie that is totally inappropriate for anyone in elementary school, we save each other the time and money that would have been wasted by attending. Listen up Hollywood, You are capable of so much better. Why do you insist on throwing in the trash talk, scantily clad girls, and the sexual behavior? What about that says to you "Hmmm, this is what I want my kids to see"? We will search for some of the old cartoons of Alvin and the gang and introduce the kids to them the right way. Save your money and spend your time doing something really great with your kids, trust me, this movie will leave you with much explaining to do. Why seek out that kind of headache? Go ice skating or bowling instead.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2011

GREAT MOVIE! Language : "stupid", and "sucks" are said and the words "Oh my god!" and "Nombre de dios" may offend Christians like me. Violence : Some kids may be worried about Alvin and his friends when they almost get squished in the mall, Lots of slapstick cartoon violence but no blood, gore, or killing. Sexual Content : Dave flirts with his girlfriend, What parents to realize is that The Chipmunks have always had more "bathroom humor" than sex. Bathroom Humor : Alvin farts in Dave's face, Theodore poops on the couch, The chipmunks write about "The size of Theodore's butt!". Consumerism : Cheese balls, Pringles, Dorito's, Spongebob Squarepants, and Nintendo just to name a few. Scary Scenes : The Witch Doctor song may scare young kids. Upsetting Scenes : Kids may cry when Dave almost smashes Alvin. Nudity : Alvin is shown in the shower but it does NOT however show his private parts. Bad Role Models : The Chipmunks get in a LOT of trouble but it is nothing your kids could imitate. That's right, that is the whole shoop-da-leup. Make sure to rent "Alvin and The Chipmunks" at your local movie store, see ya!
Kid, 12 years old April 29, 2010

Not really educational, but just plain fun!!

There is nothing overly bad, and there is nothing Innapropriate on this film. There is a bit of a message here, but nothing overly outstanding. I also think that there is a bit of comsumerisim, but that it pretty mild, and is always found in pop-culture. Overall, I give this a 7 out of 10, and a B+.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Sooooooooo Stupid I had to walk out of the room

This movie is sooo stupid it is annoying to I had to walk out of the room it was so bad
Adult Written bybskinner April 9, 2008

I was disgusted with the backup singers/ dancers

This was a movie like many ruined by some of the content. The backup singers/dancers were dressed very provocativelyy. I did not appreciate my 11 year old boy being exposed to all the female skin and sexually provocative dancing that they produced. Just because it was in the background did not make it any less offensive. Another example of the media exposing our kids to things we wouldn't. They also included "bubbly" (champagne). Why do our kids need exposed to this? Because Hollywood wants to shape their values. We shouldn't fall for it as parents. Don't become numb by exposure.

Perfect comedy for all ages!

Except for a few dodgy parts with A man called IAN Alvin and the chipmunks is a perfect heartfelt comedy for all ages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy November 24, 2014

This was like "my movie" as a kid

I probably saw this movie for the first time when I was about 8. I don't know how many times I watched it but I know its a lot. I remember it having some suggestive dancing and maybe a bit of mild language. Some crude humor too, but its fine for almost anyone. Now I realize though that this movie isn't very good, but it gets 4 stars for its part in my childhood haha.
Parent Written byalvinandthechip... November 3, 2014

Jesus would not approve

I went to see this movie with my church group and we were all appauled by the sexual scenes. We believed this would be a friendly movie bu we could watch with Jesus and boy were we wrong. The chipmunks are seen at a crazy party performing some inappropriate dance moves for an audience of cheering adults. At these partys they were practically naked with all the fur they were showing! With all the scenes like these we had to leave early to go get baptized again. 0/10 all those who enjoy this movie are going to burn in hell.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolteenager01 August 29, 2014

Don't Believe Other Critics, believe Common Sense Media and other people.

You know critics can be right and they can be wrong too. But what I think of this film, it is really good. It's just that the critics out there don't know what they're talking about. It's not the critics from Common Sense Media I'm talking about, it's the other critics. You know when I looked at two of these movies, it says 2 stars for both of the movies. I am beginning to think that they're just not liking films and giving it 2 stars or less. Really, critics! Well, I think you should stop listening to those critics and just post your own review on Common Sense Media and say what you think. Good family movie and the critics give it 2 stars, doesn't make sense. Don't listen to them, watch it. It's great!
Teen, 17 years old Written by1raptor August 23, 2014

It was so....CRAPTASTIC

Crap. Crap. Bad cinematography, bad jokes, AWFUL story, and bratty chipmunks. Try the three stooges for better quality
Kid, 9 years old May 30, 2014

a cute movie

i used to watch this all the time and loved it the chipmunks are in peril sometimes
Teen, 16 years old Written byDylanLeviiHiggiNobth May 9, 2014

Chipmunk mischief unleashed!

This movie features cartoon violence, suggestive content, innuendo, mild consumerism, and immaturity. NOTE: The cartoon violence warning was for parents who have any kids under 8. So it's on for ages 10+, iffy for ages 9- and off for ages 5-
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2014

what are the characters on

Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2013

awsome

our family thinks it's funny
Teen, 17 years old Written byNot bad at all October 6, 2013

Not bad at all

I'm 10 myself, and I don't think It's bad at all. I Watched this when I was 6 Its an amazing film! So what, Them words aren't that bad sheesh! Kids would love this film there's not one thing I found bad about this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTommyhead September 27, 2013

For kids & teens aged 8-18

This movie contains in it swear words (including F words), sexy stuff, character hummiliation and more un-childish stuff. however, it's funny and its got a big tive role model.
Adult Written byNerdyNette August 20, 2013

Do. Not. Watch.

This movie is terrible. Full of ugly rodents, bad jokes, potty humor, and other disgusting things. Watch the CARTOON Chipmunks instead.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfandango 2001 August 15, 2013

worst movie ever!

Worst movie ever I was a fan when I was 7 now I just hate it!Every time I see it on I want to puke.The chipmunks are annoying and terrible singers!Choose a different flick parents.Kids will love it ,but teens will hate it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 16, 2013

Go Theodore!

I loved their voices so much I use a high pitch setting in my video production class that can make your voice sound exactly like theirs. (I love Theo. He is sooo chubby!)