All member reviews for Amadeus

Great movie, but not quite true to history.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bynaturelovers October 8, 2011

perfect movie - kids won't appreciate

The acting is superb, the music heavenly and I don't really care it's not true to history. Most historic accounts aren't... It gets us to listen to beautiful music and appreciate his genius! This is one of my most favorite movies! In America only for kids over 16 because of the puritan fear of nudity!
Adult Written bysteven009 December 9, 2010

There is more than just "a naked backside". There is a scene when Mozart's wife goes to sleep with Salieri so he will let Mozart teach lessons to someone. It shows her stripping and makes no effort to hide her completely bare torso. I didn't finish the movie, so I don't know what else there is, but it is certainly worse than "Sex: Mozart enjoys romps with his wife. A naked backside."
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper mello January 11, 2009

great movie

this is a great movie for musicians to watch, but my non musician friends really enjoyed it too. it was really an interesting perspective, and even though its a ficticious story, there were some really interesting bits of truth.
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

I was hooked!

AMADEUS is a wonderfully written movie full of intrigue, plot twists, and classical music. (What more could one want?) This movie is told in first person...from the viewpoint of Antonio Salieri, the badguy, also Mozart's rival. Rather, Mozart was Salieri's rival. There are some weak spots, however. There is social drinking, hypocrisy by Salieri at many points, Mozart's running around with various women, and his outright disrespect for Salieri and others. For example, Salieri is in love with an up and coming soprano. It is mentioned in front of the company, which includes Mozart, Salieri, and Salieri's crush, if you will. It is mentioned that Mozart is engaged to another girl. Salieri's crush hits Mozart over the head with her fan, and storms off. Salieri concludes that he had been messing with her, and henceforth begins his obsession with killing Mozart. But Mozart's talent was not to be denied, and he quickly gained favor with the Emperor, which threatens Salieri's high ranking job as the Court Composer. This further motivates him to kill Mozart. He comes up with a plan to steal a funeral mass written by Mozart and play it at his funeral as his own [Salieri's own work]. Mozart dies, and the funeral mass is unfinished. Salieri claims guilt, but his obsession leaves the question of whether he pleased with his devilish deed.
Adult Written bycopperzinc October 21, 2009

Adult Written bymoviemadness May 10, 2009

Loooonnnngggg Mozart Movie

Amadeus was one of the most drawn out movies that I have ever seen. It is MUCH to heavy for younger kids, and most below 14 will be bored. For violence, the movie is really scary at parts. Sex, we se a man fully nude from the front for a moment and Mozart and his wife have their moments...
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez April 5, 2013

Spoiler Alert !Amadeus starts off funny ends dark and scary

The movie is great for a music lover. I would warn kids about dark ending The movie is okay for kids until the ending. The ending is sad, dark and very serious. Though the begging and middle is a comedy and happy the ending is very scary. I had nightmares about the ending. In the ending Saliheri makes a plan to murder Mozart. Mozart slowly starts to die. And Mozart gets put in paupers grave.
Kid, 10 years old March 2, 2013

Common Sense Media mistake!!

So like, I am 10 and I think this okay. IMPORTANT NOTE TO COMMON SENSE MEDIA: ONLY THE DIRECTOR'S CUT IS RATED R. THE ORIGINAL MOVIE IS RATED PG. It is COMPLETELY NOT true to history- I studied Mozart- particularly how he died- and this is crazy to think how Mozart died. (Mozart REALLY died because of strep throat that migrated down into his blood and joints, which led to kidney failure. For more, read the book "How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous" by Georgia Bragg) Anyhow, it is a VERY funny movie. Every time I look at Salieri, I am reminded of Nicholas Cage for some reason... hmmm... Like I said, the DIRECTOR'S CUT IS RATED R for boob-revealing and I believe they say the WORST word... and I am not talking about the F-word. THE REAL VERSION IS PG. I CAN NOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH. >_<
Parent Written bysirpoon December 7, 2012

Pure Hollywood Entertainment

Entertaining as long as you realize the historical accuracy is pretty weak other than the music and the geography. Of course, the ideas and sentiments represent things that happen throughout all of history: manipulation, jealousy, anger, hypocrisy, bribery, lust, murder...you name it. This movie pretty much covers the 7 deadly sins with a nice, convenient Catholic confession at the end to supposedly make up for a lifetime of misdeeds. Timeless human religion. While there is some foul language and naughtiness it is set into the extremely religious atmosphere of the Holy Roman Empire so it is used as a character device to paint Mozart as the bad boy of his time. Sexual references are not too over the top, more along the lines of naughty teasing and easy enough to skip over or edit out if necessary. Don't wait too long to show it to your kids. By age 18 they will start to realize it doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymelwest@berkeley.edu August 1, 2010
Teen, 15 years old Written byemogurl900 April 9, 2008

omg amazing

it was so funny i laughed alot throughout the movie and i loved t

Salieri vs. Mozart

I find this movie to be excellent. Sure, it had a little bit of cursing, sexual references, etc., but mature viewers ignore that easily. The characters were absolutely riveting, and I found that the theme of envy and how it can ruin people on both sides worked quite well. It also established deeper truths, such as how Mozart, though seeming ditzy at times, was actually a diligent worker, and how Mozart's music was still great, though other people didn't always think it was. Classical music was a plus, and though I may be biased, as a pianist, flautist, and violinist, this was still a great movie and I urge everyone, even people not that interesting in classical music to watch it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byokdude March 6, 2015

I studied Salieri in school. Actually the rumor only started that Mozart was poisoned by Salieri was because Mozart wanted what Salieri had. Mozart was jealous of Salieri.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2014

Wow!

Wonderful!
Adult Written byadam1995 March 13, 2014

Amazing movie! A true classic!

A really brilliant movie, one of my favourites! Definitely deserved its 8 Oscars. There is some inappropriate content, with the biggest concerns being a brief scene showing a topless woman with her bare breasts exposed, and a few men are seen fully nude at an insane asylum (with their buttocks and genitals seen, but very briefly and in the background). A main character is an alcoholic and the effects of this are seen negatively. As for language, there are a few uses of sh*t, and one obscured use of c*nt (its really hard to hear and is easily mistaken for another word). As long as parents are okay with nudity (and there isn't very much at all), then I reckon kids 10 and up will be fine with the movie (although young kids may get bored with the 3 hour running time).
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. November 8, 2013

Great movie.

Nothing too edgy or inappropriate.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 23, 2013

CommonSense is missing a few parts

Common sense failed to mention a couple of points. For starters near the beginning, there is a scene in the asylum where there are a group of men who are presumed to be insane. In the group of men, there is a man who is wearing no clothes at all and genitalia can be seen. However he may be hard to pick out first because he is in a bustling group and the scene goes by fairly quick. However the second thing I would like to address may be more of an issue. Full breasts are shown in one scene for a couple of seconds, not partial. Otherwise the review seemed pretty accurate. Keep in mind there is some language (the s word is said a couple of times). Sexual themes are commonly present. Expect a lot of cleavage. The movies subject matter can become intense and both the protagonist and antagonists are not very good role models (Salieri is an extremely jealous man who does anything to in his power to degrade Mozart while Mozart is a bit cocky and overly proud). Although some facts might be incorrect, it's still a movie worth watching and brilliantly done. Older teens will appreciate it (and be mature enough for the sexual situations). (Update: The scene that contains exposed breasts is in the director's cut only)
Written byAnonymous April 15, 2013

NC-17 with the Edited TV Version or 1984 Film but still has that Sex Scene so R.

A Sex Scene then Female Nudity After = Not for kids. This film is for adults to see. I have say this Rating will need to be Rated NC-17 as will. I seen this at 15 Years old. Not a good film for kids or ban the film from being played in Schools.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycricketcat December 24, 2012

PG or R? (big difference)

On the CSM review it says it's R. I own this movie ,and on the back of the case it says that it's rated PG......... What's going on????
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycolten97 October 10, 2012

Amadeus Speaks for All Mankind

In 1984, Saul Zaentz, Peter Shaffer and Milos Forman collaborated in bringing a truly remarkable life to the silver screen. The story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, through the eyes of rival composer, Antonio Salieri. The film is complete with an insightful script, magnificent acting, wondrous sets and costume designs, incredible choreography, and, above all, the glorious music of Mozart himself. The movie of Salieri's life, through which Mozart played an integral part, is told in flashback mode, beginning in around the year 1822. An old and perhaps emotionally disturbed Antonio Salieri attempts suicide, and in doing so, apologizes for killing Mozart some 31 years earlier. He survives and is admitted to an insane asylum, where he tells a young priest his tale of jealousy and mediocrity. The priest is fascinated and alternately troubled by the lengthy and emotional story. Salieri tells of growing up in Italy with a father who did not care for music; and how he rejoiced for the chance to go to Vienna after his father's untimely death. He tells of how he first had met the young Mozart, and how immature and dirty minded Mozart was. He also tells of how "The Creature" had an intimate relationship with the girl that Salieri had cared for. Most importantly, however, he confided in the priest that he had learned to hate God for giving him a deep love of music, only to deny him the talent to create truly memorable music. He thought God had given him Mozart to mock him. Salieri's heart filled with such rage, such hatred and such jealousy, that he had vowed to himself to make God an enemy and to kill the young Mozart. As the movie moves along, carrying with it a deep sadness of the human condition, it also celebrates life by giving the audience joyous music, wonderful atmosphere and a general appreciation of humanity for not only eighteenth century Europe, but in any age where music speaks for our emotions. The movie won eight Academy Awards in March of 1985. The only reason it did not win nine was that Tom Hulce was nominated for best actor instead of best supporting actor. He actually was in a supporting role, and in a strange twist of irony, F. Murray Abraham won the best actor statuette; citing probably the only time when Salieri beat out Mozart in anything. The movie itself was shot in Prague where Milos Forman said "It is a gem because it's possible to pivot the camera a full three hundred and sixty degrees and never encounter a modern vision." Very few new sets had to be built, as the scenes and buildings they found were quite often apropos to their needs. Amadeus works well on virtually every cinematic plane that exists. It is a masterpiece that must be viewed multiple times to receive what the film has to offer. The emotions of humanity, through the eyes of the troubled Salieri, indeed speak for all of mediocrity. He is their champion and their king.