All member reviews for Amelia

Period biopic is uplifting but doesn’t truly soar.

Adult Written bykhan2705 May 29, 2011

average movie.

Hilary Swank and Richard Gere star in director Mira Nair's biopic tracing the life of famed aviator Amelia Earhart -- who made history in 1932 by becoming the first woman ever to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. The trip made the aviatrix a national celebrity -- with help from her publicist George Putnam (Gere), whom she fell in love with and eventually married. Their union was tested, however, as Earhart developed feelings for contemporary Gene Vidal (Ewan McGregor ), and the couple's marriage faced the ultimate tragedy years later, as Earhart's fierce independent spirit spurred her to attempt to fly around the world -- a venture that infamously shrouded her in mystery, as the pilot simply vanished after crashing into the Pacific Ocean. Christopher Eccleston and co-star in the Avalon Pictures production. i was aware of all the negative reviews it got from both the critics and audience, i wasn't willing to watch it as i rated it Not Interested last year but it was on TV last night and come on how can a movie fan like me resist the charm of my second most favorite actress of Hollywood, the 2 times Oscar Winner Hillary Swank. Mira Nair did a pretty good work with movies like Monsoon Wedding, The Namesake and few others but this movie is one of her least good movies. performance of Hillary Swank bothered many reviewers here, which is shocking as i was reading them, well not to me. the movie explores the life of Amelia Earhart, who become the first woman ever to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean and also her personal life and how these both effected her or her relations in general. but honestly speaking i don't know what wen't wrong but i wasn't satisfied with the story and research that have been done for it. it seems empty throughout and feels like there is more to fill in, it seems so superficial like no deep search have been done, we don't see the full Amelia or her life in this movie. based on a very interesting story of this fabulous woman and her superb life, the movie is that dull and just lifeless. Hillary Swank as Amelia Earhart is really convincing and her physical transformation is just superb, she fits very well as her and was the most perfect choice for this role. she delivered a good performance i liked it but besides her nothing much good, Richard Gere, Ewan McGregor, Christopher Eccleston, Joe Anderson , Cherry Jones or others, and a surprise Mia Wasikowska was in this movie which i didn't know. Direction of this movie wasn't good needed much more attention than it got. Story was okay could have been better, screenplay was very dull and empty in many places. Editing was average, art direction was above average, costumes were good. Cinematography was excellent, i loved it. this movie could have been so much better than it was. Not recommended from me unless you are a Hillary Swank fan or just wan't a average popcorn entertainment.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2010

The movie was great. I like the flying. My favorite part was when Amelia said she would never give up, and that made me think i shouldn't give up at anything. I think it should have a million views from people.=)
Parent Written bykae@mediat.com October 29, 2009

I saw the movie first with some friends about my age, tonight I took my 12-yr old tonight. Hillary Swank was tremendous and did a great job portraying the hero and role model that was Amelia Earhart. The issue of her infidelity was brought up in the movie but it didn't detract from the main point of the movie. It did provide a chance for us to discuss that sometimes adults make bad decisions and that forgiveness is possible when you love someone.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJourdy288 February 5, 2010

Brilliant movie!

I absolutely LOVED this film, and wished it didn't get so overshadowed by bigger releases. Swank brilliantly portrayed Amelia Earhart as she likely was, with plenty of vigor! I had an opportunity to meet the director (Mrs. Nair) and I'm glad to say her film lived up to and met my expectations. This movie is awe inspiring in all it's aspects, from the cinematography to it's messages. It's also a nice clean film (tobacco aside) you can share with children old enough to appreciate the plot. I seriously recommend it.
Kid, 10 years old September 25, 2012

Really Good

Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2011

relly good movie, but amelia has an afaire with a man, evenwhen she is maired. they also show the bed covers rumpled presumably after..... all and all its a relly good movie and its almost like a documentery
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2010

liked it

i liked it but it did have like 5 kissing scenes, otherwise it was good. it was also somewhat educational.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWriterGirl1233 May 22, 2011

I had to do a biography project on Amelia Earhart and this movie really helped me! I would rate it 10+
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal May 7, 2011

Good for starting discussions about marriage, celebrity, ambition, risk-taking

The part about Gene Vidal is not supported in the literature--just an tangential observation by Gore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byasecoolish February 5, 2011

good movie an adult and a mature pre teen can enjoy some brief language some alcohol use and sensuality but not extreme i suggest u watch it.
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2010

gene vidal george putnm are all there to help amelia use that eletric thing that you don't have to steer
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2010

Great Movie!

This was a great movie! Hillary Swank was tremendous! I was surprised about some of the stuff i learned! :)