All member reviews for American History X

Teen, 15 years old Written byHeroOfLight94 June 13, 2009

Must see film for teens

This movie is excellent it should be shown in schools to promote anti-racial messages and such. But, the violence and language is pretty bad byt they make the movie brutally honest in order to convey the message of needing to spread peace. Norton gives a career making performance in this film
Teen, 17 years old Written bydouble E April 9, 2008

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

Did you just give one of the most powerful movies ever made a 2/5?!?!?!?!?!? I think you did. I can't believe it. This is considered one of the greatest movies!!! 2/5!!!! It is cringingly violent, has PERVASIVE language and sex, but it's still a GREAT film. I hope you watch it again and realize that, or not. heheh.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThePlatinumKnight April 2, 2014

Stunning Dark Drama

Extremely dark and depressing drama on equality, rights and hate. Such a good movie, brought me to tears several times. However not for all teens with multiply sex scenes and talk, harsh racist and offensive language, teens drink and smoke, and extremely sad and graphic violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTyler Durden December 15, 2013

One of the best film i have ever seen!

Great film. With excellent Edwards Nortons performance. The violence is brutal and also disturbing but there isnt many of it. Two sex scenes and very strong language: almost 200 uses of F-ck but it is a masterpiece.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 November 2, 2013

Masterpiece film from the 90's

Masterpiece beyond belief. This is bound to be one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. However even though it was great doesn't mean it is for younger kids. It contained a sex scene in the beginning in which a breast is shown, as well as some thrusting under a blanket and this scene lasts a few seconds. There is another scene in this movie which takes place in a shower, and the men are shown showering buttocks and genitals are fully scene for a few seconds. Also in the scene a man is graphically raped, and all of this is shown from the waist up. There are is some sexual talk and references, but are not bad. There is a lot of language in this movie such as many uses of the F and S word. There is also a lot racist language and talk throughout due to the movie heavily revolving around racism and skinheads. There is a lot of violence as well, is a brutal scene in which a man is told to bite a curb and his head is stomped this is shown from a distance, and there are some shootings and fights as well as the scene of rape. This movie is very sad and emotional with an ending that made my jaw drop. mature 14.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydanceforevergirl March 26, 2013

Still Traumatized

I saw this movie when I was about 6 and my younger sister about 4. I was at a friends house, and they were watching this movie so we watched with them. Trust me when I say, this movie is not for children. As a young child, (I was pretty tough too) I was traumatized by the violence. (The supermarket scene, waterboarding the girl, the curb stomp scene.) I covered my eyes, but even to this day, I shiver thinking about it, and I've seen violent movies before. There is prison rape, and other sexual things. A racist skinhead cleans up his act though in the end, but there is a touching scene as his brother is shot. The story is told in an essay style, the focus being on the brother's essay he writes on his skinhead brother. In short, this is not for young children or teens under the age of 15.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhomealonefan123 November 17, 2012

awesome but not for kids.

great movie but don't let your kids watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 March 2, 2012

American History X, very good, but with limited violence

This movie is very mature. Although the violence is not constant, it is graphicly portrayed. There is a scene in the beginning of graphic sexual content and nudity which is not for younger teens. This does show a good message, but there are very graphic and intense scenes that can get very emotional.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag February 7, 2012

Masterful, but very violent drama. Older audiences only.

"American History X" is a controversial and brutal, but also excellent drama about Neo-Nazi Derek who changes his mind when becoming friends with a black prisoner at the time he is at prison. The movie is shocking and tense, and shows a graphic look into a racist's life. It features a look into Derek's life, how he became a Nazi, what made him think like this and why he eventually changed his made. There are some terrific quotes from wise black headmaster Bob Sweeney that really make you think. Also, the whole filming style of the movie is brilliant, the time before he changed is completely shown in black and white, the time after becoming tolerant is done in color. Edward Norton, who was Oscar-nominated for his role as Derek, does a great job. The movie is a masterpiece and I hope it will help racists becoming tolerant with other "races". (This is a movie where every scene is important. SPOILERS may follow:) First of all, the movie starts with a graphic sex scene. Then frequent strong violence is present. The violence is not too bloody (except one scene), but EXTREMELY BRUTAL AND INCREDIBLY REALISTIC. Not for the faint of heart. -A man curb stomps a man, meaning he puts his head onto the curb and then stomps onto it. Very violent but seen from a distance, no blood. -A man brutally rams a piece of meat into a woman's mouth in order to make her shut up. -A man is graphically raped by a group of men. -A man gets shot and a very huge amount of blood spurts onto the wall (the bloody scene i mentioned above). It is very realistic, there is much blood. -A very brutal and disturbing scene of paki bashing in a supermarket where a gang of nazis beat up several asian people, a woman is then "waterboarded", as they spill drinks all over her face making it hard to breathe. The violence is strong and brutal, extremely graphic and not suitable for younger viewers. The movie deals with neo-nazis, and of course everything included. Swastikas are frequently shown. However, the main character learns and at the end is no longer a nazi anymore, so there are positive messages. Strictly for older audiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIronman1963 October 5, 2011

Extremly Powerful Movie, That Everyone Must See

I personally think, everyone should see this movie. Their is a rape scene, which I found quite disturbing. Also, the violence can be very brutal, such as the infamous curb stomp scene, and their is a lot of strong language. But this movie has a very positive message, and the main character is a good role model, because he has turned his life around. I was 14 when I saw this, but it really depends on the child.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydawtpbwv July 18, 2011

American History X

This is a violent movie at any means, but the best movie concerning racial hatred and its consequences ever made. Language is bad with lots of f*cks and there is a rape scene and a sex scene (not fully visible) between the hero and a woman. However, it's a fantastic movie that I reccomend.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydockett90 June 8, 2011

Please Read

there is definatley a positive message despite the brutalness of the movie to discard hate and racism but many young teens dont get the point so i suggest anywhere from a mature 13 yr old to 14 or 15
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 June 1, 2009

It's a great anti-racist movie. There is a graphic prison gang rape, plus some racial violence and plenty of profanity. I guess if your 13 or 14+, you should be able to handle it.