All member reviews for American Hustle

Mesmerizing mature drama with just a bit of sex, violence.

Parent Written byImjustsaying December 27, 2013

Good movie, kind of talky and slow at times, great cast to watch and music is the best!!!!

Ok, good movie, a bit slow and talky but kind of fun to watch Amy, Jennifer, Christian and Bradley. A lot of sexy shots of Amy with no bra in clothes, a sex scene in a toliet stall but it gets cut once it gets heated, a lot of cussing/language , very adult content. I would say a 16 could view this with no problem. It's a adult movie but not X rated at all.
Parent Written byLookingTo December 15, 2013

Some Language

It's really just the language, with some minor sexuality, but otherwise, I think this is a mild R-rating. If your child is mature enough to recognize the actors involved and understands that he or she should not speak like they do, they should be fine.
Parent of a 6, 13, and 15 year old Written byCRickards December 17, 2013

An okay movie

It's a nice throwback but if you don't like these kinds of movies this one's no different. I'd let my oldest watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 December 26, 2013

David O. Russell hits the nail on the head.

I have been waiting for this film to come out for almost a year, and let me tell you, IT WAS WORTH IT. This was one of the best, if not THE best, films I have ever seen. Everything about it perfect, from the structure of the storyline, to the brilliantly written script, to the actors who were all absolute perfection! The story centers around Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), a couple of con artists/ lovers.They are caught by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper), who makes a deal with them: Sydney gets around of jail if they perform four cons centered around bringing down New Jersey Mayor Carmine Pollito (Jeremy Renner), along with other politicians. My only complaint is that I wanted to see more of Jennifer Lawrence's character Rosalyn, Irving's crazy wife. She was so incredibly amazing this role that is was mesmerizing to watch. If she does not take the best actress in a supporting role at the Oscar's I will be shocked. As far a the rating goes, this is a pretty mild R. There is very little sexual content, no nudity, and very little, very brief violence. The only real concern is the profanity, and trust me, there is a lot of it. I truly had a wonderful time watching this movie, and it was the perfect reunion for the Silver Linings Playbook cast, and a perfect opportunity for them to kick up the crazy a notch, which they definitely did. This is a must see!
Adult Written bygbsfan March 16, 2014

Good story, but hard to follow

The story idea was interesting and there were a lot of funny parts, but it was kind of hard to follow and there was a lot of yelling. Also, the characters used a lot of bad language throughout the movie. Still, I would recommend it for older teens or adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats January 5, 2014

Everyone Hustles to Survive

A bold, brilliant film that is also wildly entertaining. There's just a little bit of sex and violence but the language is pervasive and the f-word is used constantly. Okay for thirteen and up. A.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycool0717 January 18, 2014

American Hustle is a intrieging and funny film

I was looking forward to this film and i wasnt at all dissapointed it was funny, interesting and well acted should definetly be watched. The film follows the story of two con artists that are forsed to work for someone to help bring down other con artist which may not sound good to some people but the film is great and has a lot more to the film. There are so many great scenes in the film and the acting is brilliant from all actors and the film even adds comedy which blends well with the serious scenes and also makes the film a lot more enjoyable. Overall a great film and people should definetly check it out
Parent of a 13 and 18 year old Written byWayne G. December 15, 2013

Not for Everyone...

I saw this at a press screening with my friend, and it is an excellent movie. It's script and story aren't the best in the world, but the cast gives such good performances across the board that they elevate the whole movie. It's great to see Christian Bale let loose here after such gloomy turns in Batman and Out of the Furnace. But Jennifer Lawrence steals the show and seems to have her third Oscar in the bag, no questions asked. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper also show up here. That being said, this movie isn't for everyone. I'm sure my kids would have been bored if they came along with me. I wouldn't not let them watch this, but I just don't think they can appreciate it like I do.
Parent Written byFilmcritic95 March 20, 2014

(FILM CRITICS' ALL TIME ENTERTAINMENT)

This film was okay. There were strong moments. I felt that this was more of a Christian Bail and Amy Adams movie. Jennifer Lawerence and Brad Cooper were both better in Silverlinings Playbook and Jennifer is way better in The Hunger Games movies. This movie doesn't necessary have a great message nor is it a bad rated R film. I felt that this film was very close to PG-13 except for one scene of sexuality. But it wasn't to bad. 13 year olds should be able to handle it no problem. It's main reason for the R rating was for language and only some sexual content and mild violence.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... May 1, 2014

Not to watch with your teen girl!

This was a fantastic movie, and my husband and I loved it. We had started watching it with our 15-year-old daughter, and thankfully she got bored quickly and left the room, because it would have been very awkward watching it with her-- especially for her dad! They do cut away from showing everything in great detail, but really, when a guy bends a woman over in the toilet stall and lifts her skirt, we don't need to see the rest to know what's going on. My daughter knows about the birds and the bees, of course by now, but I don't want her earliest impressions of sexual intimacy to be the kind that takes place in a toilet stall. Furthermore, the best thing about the movie is the stuff that has to do with the time period-- the retro styles and lingo-- and teens just don't get it. More fun for us parents who lived it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybranman894 January 13, 2014

American Hustle is Oscar Worthy

From the title you might say I thought the movie was great but really I only think it is good. What I mean is I think it deserves to be in the best picture category, but I don't think it deserves to win it. The writing is well written and the acting is fine. Really I can't find anything wrong with the movie, but I would not call it perfect.
Parent Written byLSU Mom January 11, 2014

American Hustle is a lot of semi-historical fun

American Hustle is a movie with a clever plot mixing fact and fiction, and features equally clever acting that kids fifteen and up will appreciate, along with their parents. The "R" rating seems to be more for the prolific curse words rather than the violence and sex, the elements of these more in line with current PG-13 movies. In keeping with the 70s timeframe and the nature/fallout of ABSCAM (on which the movie is lightly based), there are some ethnic stereotypes not in line with today's inclusive ideals, just FYI. That said, this is a movie not to be missed, with magnetizing chemistry and performances -- absolutely electric. Although Argo (which won best picture) probably more accurately portrayed its signature events that occurred at roughly the same point in time, American Hustle, for me, was a far more riveting movie -- and I enjoyed Argo, too.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhagrid21 January 7, 2014

American Hustle Never Slows Down

American Hustle is a fantastic movie, proving that David O. Russell is one of the best directors in the current film industry. This film reunites his leading cast from his previous works, The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook, to tell the story of two cons who are caught and forced to help an ambitious agent catch con men who hold public office. Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence give mesmerizing performances and make you laugh til you cry. The only thing about this movie is that it drags a big in the middle, but picks right back up. Some sexual situations and clothing and constant language (at least 15 f words in the opening scene alone) make this gem okay for teens 15 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 January 2, 2014

3.5, pretty good, but a bit bland,

Only language is at all strong, and although it is pretty good, it isn't anything spectacular. The story is deep and there are twists and intertwined plots, but all very brown/grey. I hoped for just something extra, maybe some visual intrigue. Humor is infrequent but quite funny when present, especially with Louis C.K.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 29, 2013

Overrated but still enjoyable

Critics, awards groups, and even CSM have greatly overhyped this movie, and I'm finding I'm not the only one who shares this. Had the reviews been simply good, I would've gone into this film with lower expectations, and left a happier person. It is a great story, that's for sure, one with lots of twists and turns, and dynamic performances by Adams, Cooper, Bale, Lawrence and even Louis C.K. The music is jazzy and at times electrifying, but it is by no means the movie of the year, just a very good (and profane) film of 2013
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 28, 2013

Very solid, but also really overhyped.

I love Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence. I just wanted to say that yet again in another place. And that statement is relevant because this movie has one of the best casts of the whole year, and uses them very well (unlike an abortion like Movie 43). The acting here in amazing on everyone's part. It's so good; every time I saw Jennifer Lawrence, I was hooked, and Christian Bale is not only a great actor, but his dedication to his roles is impressive, what with his extreme weight loss for The Machinist and The Fighter, and his weight gain here. The only negative thing that I can say about the acting is that Amy Adams' British accent is pretty bad, and it plays a large part in the film. I initially thought that it was intentionally poor for ironic or comedic effect, but that would undermine the storytelling and other characters' brains (specifically Bradley Cooper's character). Either way, it was distracting. The writing and directing is good, although I honestly don't see David O. Russell as a great writer or director. He's fine and I don't particularly have anything against him other than his uncomfortable portrayal of mental illness in Silver Linings Playbook or how I think that he doesn't really do comedy that well, but here he does well with the terrific music choice and costume design, and with use of ambience for most scenes. It's just too long. The movie is 138 minutes and it should have been about 108 minutes. Some parts drag on a bit, perhaps because the plot follows several characters, but some bits definitely could have been shortened. I liked the ending, though; it's just a twenty-minute portion of the second act that strained my attention. It was solid, it just could have been better, and could have easily landed on my top ten list of 2013. 8.1/10, very good, one thumb up, above average, etc.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjasgreg12 April 15, 2014

American Huslte

I was in a hustle to see to see this movie even before it had its Oscar nominations. It is a very smart movie. It is a very great movie for teens. I has some language and sex so some parents might be worried.
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Teen, 16 years old Written byMattdirect10 February 18, 2014

A Decent Version of Goodfellas

I was a bit disappointed by David O. Russell's version of Goodfellas. However, there are a good amount of shining moments to the film. Some of the scenes are well done, like the opening scene. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good as Irving's wife. At times, the script brings some charm to the movie. If anything, it deserved to be nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay. Other than that, there isn't much else you can find here with this forgettable Oscar Nominated Movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieman34 January 31, 2014

Brilliant drama with great cast and performences.

American Hustle is a great, brilliant, and well acted drama with a great streak of humor. The cast brings the great performances and the script is amazing. Theres not to much to worry about with sex or violence except a topless scene and a mobster killing someone. Overall it is a great film.