All member reviews for An American Carol

Right-wing political comedy just isn't funny.

Parent Written bySecretary Of War June 26, 2014

Conservative propaganda "comedy" that suggests that belief in any ideology other than the Republican party is un-American.

An American Carol is a failed attempt at Conservative comedy, and carries all the hallmark traits of Right-Wing propaganda. The entire, endlessly repeated message of the film is that humanistic "liberal" people are just wrong about everything and they're ruining the decent god-fearing, gun-loving "conservative" values that America supposedly built upon. This film has only one purpose, which is propaganda. Politically naive children and teens (and probably adults) should be steered away from this film at all costs, because it portrays wildly inaccurate depictions of people on both ends of the American political ideological spectrum, as well as alluding that African-Americans were better off as slaves and an overall skewed version of America's history. I can't even recommend this film as an example of well-made propaganda (like many of the terrific short films of the 1950s). The filmmaking, acting and storytelling is all sub-par, and the Zucker Brothers (who made such comedy masterpieces as Airplane! Top Secret! and Police Squad!/Naked Gun) should be ashamed of themselves for what I hope was just a quick paycheck (as opposed to having these reprehensible beliefs themselves).
Parent of a 6, 15, 15, and 17 year old Written by79awesome August 26, 2013

Not that good

It was ok but less funny. It was boring as well dont get me wrong there were some funny parts but it was boring.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHoodedAce October 9, 2012

Very funny. Cleverly pointed

This is one of my favorite movies. It's a very funny look at the inconsistencies of the liberal position. I saw it when I was 9 years old and have loved it ever since. Not to say it doesn't have issues. The language is rather high for a PG-13 and there are a few instances of innuendo. But the movie itself is really funny Lines: "We can't just shoot people" says Malone the Gen responds with "THOSE AREN'T PEOPLE THEY'RE THE ACLU!" The Rosie "Radical Christian" scene is off the wall. A perfect satire of liberals' raging hatred The "slave" segment is another brilliant scene. A word of warning. This type of humor appeals to a very specific sense of comedy. If you don't think "Napoleon Dynamite" "School of Rock" "Nacho Libre" or Chris Farley are funny this won't amuse you
Adult Written byd1992 October 3, 2011

Funny!!

Hilarious... if you are Conservative. There is very limited swearing, the worst being "sh**". Drug references are very infrequent and are even portrayed as negative. This movie will go right over the heads of young kids who don't know much about politics. The "lighthearted depiction" of terrorism is meant to mock terrorist. The movie's depiction of Ground Zero is brief and not at all meant in a bad or mocking way. It's a very entertaining movie with a good, patriotic message.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoker15 July 2, 2009

Great conservative movie, but with uninspired humor

An American Carol is a funny, conservative comedy which is one of the few movies now a days that represents America as the good side. Conservatives will like this, most liberals will not. Sexual content is mild. We see Michael Malone reaching out to grab two woman's breasts but he is slapped before he can do so. We later hear Malone mention the word Rape, and we see an altered Victoria's Secet ad which shows a model in a burka. We also see a man with his underwear pulled down while an attendant reaches into his butt; we see the side of his butt, and his front area is darkened. The language is moderate. We hear s888 said multiple times, and hear SoB and B****** said once. As for violence, we see Malone either getting stepped on, bonked around, thrown out a window or get slapped in multiple scenes (no blood, but we do see some marks on his face during the second scene where Malone gets stepped on). There is also a scene where zombies are shot constantly, and blood spurts out (not too graphic, played for laughs). Also, Malone drinks and smokes in two scenes, and in another, hippies are seen doing drugs. Conservatives will love this film. The problem with the humor is that is slapstick stuff we've all seen before. It's funny, but it's the same. It's a good comedy overall, but some might not find it that funny. I give it 3 out of 5. It's alright for 13 and up, and iffy for ages 8-12.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytsomfan2 January 23, 2009

Hilarious Movie...GREAT VALUES! Go America!

HILARIOUS MOVIE, but also has a strong message of patriotism and points out that most members of the military are pro-peace too, but that sometimes we have to fight for the common good. Imagine if we had refused to fight in WWII because we were against wars no matter the reason. It is debatable Hitler could have won without the Americans fighting him!
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18+ year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009