All member reviews for An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong

Tween mean girl meets her match in Chrissa.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMadelineMini April 8, 2015

Haha, I laughed! Great classic American Girl movie!

Tara is so funny and Chrissa is a bit of a coward. She doesn't even tell on Tara for bullying her. The bullying is a little unrealistic, but it's funny. It has good role models and a great message that no one should get bullied, plus that you should tell your parents or teacher if you're being bullied. It's wholesome, but a little depressing. Great for kids who are starting school!
Parent Written byjmc1 August 18, 2013

Overall Good, may be upsetting to younger kids.

A caution for parents of kids who are sensitive or are very fearful of bullying: my child (just turned 7) was disturbed by the relentless cruelty of the mean girls. She appeared upset and frightened in the first 30+ minutes of the movie and we almost turned it off. Granted, she's sensitive and a bit of a worrier. However, she's had some experience with mean, coercive-type quasi-bullying in 1st grade, and feels confident about how to handle it. I thought the behavior depicted was a bit extreme for the target age group. I'm well aware that the bad behavior in the movie may be mild compared to some realities, but still, the incidents of real cruelty and intimidation, paired with fear and feelings of powerlessness Chrissa displays -- while realistic -- may be too strong or frightening for *some* kids under age 8 or 9 to process. I also didn't like the diving board thing later on, and that the teacher/coach knew something was amiss but seemed totally unaware of the bullying until things really heated up. The resolution was somewhat weak, the mean(est) girl was unrealistically rehabilitated by the end and didn't suffer any real consequences. I did like the emphasis on the courage of one girl who also stood up the the main bully, and the part about another girl with a secret that she felt made her vulnerable. And a certain teacher caught on and gave excellent, timely, sensitive advice - which was really good. The takeaway was positive and hopeful. Basically, it was a good movie, depicting acts of bravery, courage and friendship. Good jumping-off point for discussion, for parents to broach the subject with kids.
Kid, 10 years old April 15, 2011

Stand up from bullies

I had watched this movie at school one day and It had made me rethink the bullying thing . After the movie I started to buy American Girl dolls happily I stoped .
Teen, 13 years old Written byGymnastE13 August 15, 2013

Great AG movie

I thought this movie tells a good story about how to stand up to a bully. The actors/actresses did a great job. I think this movie is great for anyone, but especially for Tweens/teens. It's good for children entering middle school or something. Since I am kid as well, I know how hard it is to stand up to a bully. This has never happened to me, but u have seen it happen many times before. Anyway, I love American Girl. It was a great movie.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014

Awesomely inspiring movie!

It was a really nice movie, with it's focus on a young girl being bullied. This is something every kid relates to one time or another in their childhood, and shows them how to deal with it. It is a very nice movie, once again; it just got a TINY bit predictable at times. It could also be quite emotional, and you can't help but admire the young girl's courage. A movie I would recommend to kids and teens alike (probably girls!!)
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Stand up to bullies!!

This is a good movie, but kind of depressing. In one of the scenes, Chrissa's brother gets hurt after the bully calls him a chicken and saying that he can't jump from the diving board. This has a good message though!!!
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2010

Perfct movie for the whole family!

I watched the movie with my classmates in school, and also read the book. It is a very plesant movie. It teaches girls everywhere about bullying and cyberbullying, and how it is not ok. It is a great family movie and has a very powerful message. I enjoyed the movie so much, I wanted to watch it again and again. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2012

Bad bully movie

TOO MUCH BULLYING!! My daughter felt the pain of bullying and all this movie did was make people want to bully her again and worse then the first time! I disliked it for that.
Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written byiamjustinbieber... February 26, 2011

GREAT MOVIE

i love this movie it's awsome. But there are moments of confusion (not really it just might seem confusing to younger kids, i mean really young kids like 5 maybe 6 and under.) And a brief, but slightly scary diving board accident may prove to scary and realistic for younger kids to handle (5 maybe 6 and under) But the movie does teach good lessons about being yourself, forgiveness, helping, careing, standing up for yourself and those around you, and staying strong to yourself. The bullies in this movie arn't the best of rolemodels and the movie does make it obiouse that what the bullies are doing is wrong and mean and makes chrissa a good role by standing up for herself and speaking out.
Kid, 10 years old January 31, 2011

Some scary parts, but overall a good movie

What an educational movie! It teaches kids about standing up for themselves. Tara and Jayden are not good role madels because they are the ones who are doing the bullying. Chrissa is a great role model because she was getting bullyied so she stood up for herself and asked her teacher what to do. Gwen is O.K. but she is shy. The bullying that the kids do can be scary and there is a scene in it where a boy falls of the diving board in a pool and almost drowns in the water. But is is a great movie and perfect for family entertainment!
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2011
The movie had some bad language but there was a happy ending that was touching.
Kid, 12 years old March 18, 2016

Five stars all the way!!

This movie is about American Girl's 2009 Girl of the Year, Chrissa Maxwell. I was actually five years old when Chrissa came out, so I didn't get into her until now. As all you American Girl fans out there know, this movie is actually, amazingly like the books! I was surprised during watching it! I really love this movie, and mostly what I love is that American Girl portrays Chrissa as a real-life girl dealing with real-life problems and real-life people. There are countless extremely mean just EVIL parts in the movie, all starting with Chrissa's very first day at Edgewater Elementary. All down to the very lines were like the books, except for just a little bit more in the second book, Chrissa Stands Strong, that wasn't in the movie. The Mean Bees, Tara, Jadyn, and Sonali, are REALLY mean, and Chrissa is a really kind, sweet nine-year-old portrayed by a twelve-year-old. In the movie, Sonali starts to realize how bullying is very, VERY wrong, so she starts to befriend Chrissa and Gwen, a homeless girl with no friends, whom Chrissa befriends. I think that everything down to the threads is just so realistic and shows real girls and real personalities. Everything about this movie is perfect! I love Chrissa's ways of dealing with anger (via visuals), and it truly does teach girls how to deal with bullying when it first happens; DON'T keep it in, you're not tattling. DO tell a parent or a teacher, you ARE just telling the truth. It shows all the things the characters did wrong, and how you shouldn't do those things in the first. For girls starting school, even with all the cruelty and extreme meanness, it really is the best movie to stop bullying right away. For ANYONE (Yes, I'm a home-schooler), it's a great movie! One part I love is when Chrissa looks up home-schooling, cause yes, that IS another option. I started homeschooling after one month in kindergarten because of bullies and bullying teachers. DO watch the movie AND read the books, if you can find them anywhere! This is truly one of American Girl's best characters!! Five stars all the way!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynovember27 June 26, 2011

Brilliant

Tells kids that you have to tell when you are being bullied. It won't get worse if you do it will get better
Kid, 10 years old May 2, 2011

lets put an end to bullying together!!

its about a fourth grade girl getting bullied and in the end she stands strong and puts an end to bullying...very educational!! all my friends love it!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 22, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byAmericangirlforever September 2, 2010

Great movie

This Movie will educate girls on whats wrong with bullying. It has great acting, Great Role models, and its educational. It is based on the american girl of the year 2009. Whos lesson was on bullying. Definaly recommend it 5 out of 5.
Adult Written bySerious Play fo... November 21, 2009
In the hands of the wrong 4th grader, this film is the ultimate ‘for dummies’ guidebook to power and popularity though bullying, manipulation, cruelty, fear, humiliation, and snobbery without empathy, regret, regard for others, or concern for consequences. If your daughter is a Queen Bee, a Sidekick, a Banker, or a Pleaser/Wannabee/Messaenger, be advised- this film could give them the tools to perfect the sophistication of their power strategy (Read Rosalind Wiseman’s “Queen Bees & Wanna Bees” to find out more). The most powerful, gut wrenching, impressionable moments of this film all revolve around the cruelty of the bullying and the success of the bully and her posse. In her book “Consuming Kids,” child psychology expert Susan Linn touches on the dangers of presenting material for children in which the destructive elements are more powerful than the positive elements. The most powerful messages that children take away from this movie concentrate on the immensity of a bully’s power to control, manipulate, and hurt those who get in her way. Even though the point of the movie is to discourage kids from giving in to bullying- the negative power emphasis means that this film has the potential to convey the message that going along with bullies is better than fighting against them and that being a bully is the best way to achieve popularity. While this film does portray a disturbingly honest look at the power of school bullies, the conflict resolution at the end is dangerously unrealistic. When Tara finally confides in parents and teachers about the bullying she is experiencing, the bully automatically looses her power over the entire school and Tara and the bully become friends. Bullies don’t just abdicate their thrones because someone tattled. This film reinforced all of the reasons why girls shouldn’t talk to their parents about bullying.
Adult Written bymarkandzita8qjz January 26, 2009

What is up with the makeup and wardrobe?

My girls and I enjoyed this movie (and message) however, the makeup and wardrobe choices were horrible! The girls (especially the bullies) looked like 7th graders but they were supposed to be 4th graders...BIG difference! I live in a very liberal part of California, and I'm very liberal myself, so I'm not being a prude. My girls are close to the ages of the girls in the movie so I feel I (we) can relate. 4th graders DO NOT have cell phones, nor do they have eyeliner, finely plucked eyebrows or perfectly styled hair. So if you're attempting to make a movie that speaks to real girls, this movie is very distracting in this area. My girls like fashion, cell phones and popular music...but even THEY thought the girls in this movie looked "creepish." I had to agree...
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2015

A Heartwarming American girl movie about bullying

This movie is great for kids who are bullied.It has a sweet message about standing up for bullies and helping the homeless as well.There is one scene where a boy falls off a diving board and falls into the water injured.But it's not explicit and absolutely no blood is shown.