All member reviews for An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars

Sweet, inspiring tale about a girl reaching for her dreams.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bybootsbearmom July 27, 2012

Good for the family

Both my 6 year old son and 9 year old daughter watched this. Compared to all the other movies these days with rude references and name calling, this was refreshingly clean. Kids can relate to the issues of pressure from parents as well as learning disabilities. Both my kids really enjoyed this and have already watched it again. The only down side would be if you follow gymnastics and have read the books - this is not about Level 4 beginning competitive gymnast but a high level athlete.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 5, 2012

an american girl mckenna shoots for the stars

disabilities. How can kids learn from the way McKenna and Josie handle their personal challenges? How is Toulane's relationship with her mother different than McKenna's? What does McKenna's mom teach her about following your passion and asking for help when you need it? Does the movie seem like a tie-in to the American Girl doll, or would it be good even without the American Girl in the title? Does the connection to the brand make you more likely to watch the movie?
Kid, 9 years old August 25, 2012

Sweet movie

It's sweet, inspirational, and a good movie for all.
Kid, 9 years old August 16, 2012

Best movie ever!!!

I love american girl and I think that everybody who watches this (even adults!!) will be inspiered and get a great kick out of it!!! I'm big fan of american girl but you don't need to be to watch this movie!!! mckenna is a great girl inspiered by gymnastics and in the end loves Josie!! Again this is a great movie for all ages!
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg November 16, 2012

Here is a 12 year old point of view...

As i was reading all the feeback for Mckenna I was LOL! *sigh* how protective and dramatic people are being... Stop Reading my feedback and just watch the movie! It has good role models, good messages and its a fun family film suited for all ages! There is absolutely nothing innapropiatte or bad in this movie. GO FOR IT!
Kid, 8 years old August 26, 2012

yawn

so she got in gymnastics so she got hurt. lots of this happened to other ppl.i wont FORCE ppl to make a movie about my brother to be a race car driver or to make a movie about me trying to be a popstar.but i like it a bit
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byheather13 August 3, 2012

Mild film overall

Overall a pretty good film, nothing at all that is scary or intimidating. Some of the themes (like struggling with homework) are probably over the heads of younger kids. The moral that there's no shame in admitting when you need help is a good one. As for language though the girls continually encourage one another to "kick butt." Might not be a big deal to most families but it's something I don't want my 4 & 6 year olds repeating. McKenna can be a little obnoxious to her parents and is embarrassed to be with her tutor which confused my kids.
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2015

Meh,

Contains many positive messages but has a lousy storyline that is far to predictable.
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2015

Not the best

This movie is a little unrealistic, and the girls in the movie were kind of self centered, but overall the movie is just ok. Nothing special.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGymnastE13 August 15, 2013

Not so great

Like McKenna, I love gymnastics. I work hard and sometimes I push myself too hard. Difference is, I'm not like McKenna. She was rude, mean, and self centered. I think the story was unrealistic. I have experienced what McKenna did when i was 8 years old, which was 5 years ago. I didnt act like her. I work hard in school too. I get good grades as well. I think this wasn't one of AG's best movies. Plus, the movie was way different from the book. The acting was OK. As much as i love gymnastics and hope to go to the Olympics, this wasnt my favorite AG movie or character.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2013

McKenna rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a fabulous family movie. McKenna is a great role model. This movie has great acting and just melts your heart. McKenna is not perfect, she has difficulties, too, which makes it even better.
Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2013

Awsome

It good for kids they will love it great story. Especially for young gymnast
Teen, 13 years old Written byblackandpink April 6, 2013

Good message, but cliche

This movie is an ok movie. Though while I was watching this I did roll my eye several time throughout the movie. It's not inappropriate but it is very cliche.
Parent Written bytreat02 January 20, 2013

Very sweet movie

I let my 6-year-old and my 11-year-old watch this, and I watched it myself. It was a sweet story, and I think the girls enjoyed it too! There was nothing wrong with it in a way young kids couldn't see it.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2012

Love It!

Awesome. Period. End of story.<3
Parent of a 1, 5, and 9 year old Written byAG Fan Parent August 13, 2012

Amazing great not only for my kids but for me too! =)

I am an adult with three kids, and I loved this movie! My girls (ages 9, 5, and 1) all loved this movie, too! The story is a great one, and I was tied down the whole movie. It's not like many kids movies -- that make adults laugh -- it's a great one that isn't just a kid's movie. The acting was amazing, and that's pretty rare with movies like this. Ysa Penarejo (Toulane) was by far the best actress, but everybody else was great, too. Cathy Rigby is also a main character in this, so that was pretty exciting. The only slightly funny (and awkawrd) thing was the one "broken friendship" scene with McKenna and Josie. The whole scene was fine, but the broken romance song (clearly the only song they could find) made it look weird and not just friendship. However, it all ended up great. There is nothing bad in this movie whatsoever (no drugs, I promise) and it has great messages and all that good stuff. It's truly an amazing movie, and you should definitely not only let your kids watch it, but watch it yourself.