All teen and kid member reviews for An American Tail: The Mystery of the Night Monster

Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 August 12, 2015

this movie definitely didn't suck but it wasn't near as enjoyable as the first two american tail's.

I decided to give this movie a watch because I loved the first two american tail movies especially fivel goes west and I heard that this was supposed to be better than the previous direct to video sequel the treasure of manhattan island which I have not seen so I sat on down and watched this and it definitely wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't great also. I'm not really going to explain the story but I'm going to talk about the positives and negatives of this movie instead. First of all I liked how most of the characters you saw in the first and second movie reprised their roles except for fivel and tanya and I also liked how fivel's friend tony who was in the first and third movie but only made cameos in the second one is in this movie and the actress who voiced him also reprises her role like I said about most of the characters from the first and second one before. Some of the things I didn't like about this movie was first of all fivel's sister tanya acts like a brat in this movie unlike in the first movie where she believed that fivel was alive and then in the second one where she wanted to follow her dream of becoming a singer which really spoke to me but in this one she just acted like a total brat and I didn't like that at all. Also while dom deluise does reprise his role as tiger despite him being 67 at the time he's not as good/funny as he was in the first two in my opinion. The animation is also a giant step backwards from the first two but it's understandable for a direct to video film and I didn't like any of the songs except for the final song called who will because the other two were trying too hard to be kid friendly musical numbers, then again I wouldn't say that who will is one of my favorite songs from an animated movie. I think this movie is a lot more suitable for little ones because the only thing I would say you should watch out for are the recurring nightmares that fivel has about the monster because they can be scary to real young children especially the one that fivel has at the very beginning. Other than that little ones will find this movie very fun and it even has a positive message about facing your fears and being brave and nelly bree is also a good role model for little kids because she encourages fivel to be brave and not be scared of the monster. I overall thought this movie was alright, it was fun at parts but it's just not a movie that makes you want to watch it again after viewing it unlike the first two. I would recommend watching it at least once if your an american tail fan like I am but just don't expect anything great, I'm pretty sure young kiddos will love this movie though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMattiscool March 24, 2012

Never seen it before.

I heard this was a GREAT movie!
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009