Adorable, heartwarming tale of an immigrant mouse.

Adult Written byAllishinca August 28, 2011

Enjoyable Movie with many Cultural Influences

An American Tail provides an educational and interesting view on immigration in the late 1800s. However, many parts in the movie and even the first song in the movie deal directly with different nations and cultures which younger children might struggle to understand. Many of the action scenes are dark and frightening, such as scenes including cats (which are represented as ruthless, wolf-like creatures), and the scene where the boat is attacked by the sea, which is personified as an old man. In terms of sexuality, a group of buxom pigeons show up during the second song. Later, an older mouse's hat loses a feather, which lands on her breast. When a male mouse reaches for the feather, his hand is slapped away. Finally, the character Honest John is shown drinking and noticeably drunk, and the movie's main villain smokes a cigar (which his cockroach side kick complains about). I rate this movie for older children, as younger kids wont understand most of the cultural context and the violent scenes might be to frightening for younger viewers.
Adult Written bytdickensheets July 12, 2009

Good movie

I like this movie.
Adult Written byNormalMom April 28, 2009
Was trying to decide whether or not to let my 6-yr. old see it, was on the fence, and then decided not to after the ominous scene of the bug shadows closing in after him when he went through (?) a storm drain. Also, where was his mom's baby at the end of the movie?
Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns November 18, 2008

A terrific classic

Though unlike most cult classics, this one gets less and less appreciation every year. This movie is wonderful. It's suspenseful, which might make some kids worry, but it's very cute and has some great musical numbers not to mention the plot is handled well. It's one of my personal favorites. You might want your kid to be a little older before viewing it, though, mainly due to some questionable content involving Honest John and the cats. The cats can be really scary sometimes because of their ruthlessness throughout the movie. Meanwhile, Honest John drinks heavily to the point where he should have died by now and during one scene that people seem to ignore, he tries to grab Gussie Mouseheimer's breast. Anyway, that's minor and if you ignore it, you get a great family film.
Kid, 8 years old August 18, 2012

A Classic Film

This classic "Tail" is a very good movie. But parents of toddlers should be aware that it has some frightening scenes of a storm that Fievel gets lost in and a scene of the" secwet weapon"! It also has some kisses between Toby and his girlfriend. It also has Warren T. Rat smoking and honest John drinking beer. But kindergarteners will enjoy the movie and learn the importance of family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDelight July 8, 2010
this movie is the best!!! Almost all the people (or mice) are friendly. i still love this move! i started watching it with my sisters and now its one of my favorites!
Adult Written byhomer2 April 9, 2008

a vey cute movie.

the main voice was extremely cute.
Adult Written byOlivePadfoot April 9, 2008

Pretty cool satire

Some characters as I remember it smoke. There is child labor enforced in America...it's supposed to emphasize the struggles of immigrants during the time Ellis Island operated.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Uh....Little Kids Only!

This movie will bore anyone over the age of 7 to death! It's annoying and completely pointless...even the awful sequel was better!
Teen, 17 years old Written bythelastsamurairocks August 27, 2015

Hugely underrated

I cannot believe the hate this movie gets. The fact that it got below 70% on rt is an injustice to the people who worked so hard on this film. This is the perfect family movie and while the story could have been better the characters are very likable and this film should be enjoyed by everyone. It really is a great film that should have gotten more praise.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 June 4, 2015

a near perfect animated kids movie.

I happened to watch this movie in my 7th grade civics class just this week because we learned about immigration early in the year and I found it a really enjoyable kids movie. Despite this movies g rating it does have some very brief adult content. There is a scene in the movie where the main character Fivel and his friends Tony and Bridget go into a bar I think and they meet a mouse named honest John who they believe can help Fivel find his family and he is apparently drunk and later in the scene he attempts to touch a older mouse's breast but she stops him. Other than that this is a pretty hard movie to watch for both kids and adults due to how depressing it is and by the end you will cry tears of joy or at least come very close to it trust me. The only two reasons I am giving this a four is because one it could have been slightly better and two as much as I love kids movies this one tries pretty dang hard to be for kids but it doesn't try so hard to where it's unwatchable for anyone over the age of 7. Bottom line I really really enjoyed this movie and I think anyone 4 and up can see it because it's a really good movie for kids it just could be depressing for them. I know I found it depressing.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2009

Love it

I like this movie...cute!
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 4, 2009
I'm sorry but I'm not sure if this is really something appropriate for kids. They likely won't care about any of the references to the immigrant era, and this is very sad and depressing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieManiac3005 August 30, 2015

It's not as good as The Secret of NIMH. Watch that instead.

I personally never really liked this film. It's boring, over the top, features way too many songs and will bore the hell out of older kids. Parents won't think much of it but will enjoy watching it with their kids. Only show to young kids and people who have grown up with it because no one else will enjoy it. The animation is great and the movie is a bit unnecessarily dark and scary at times. This film is not Don Bluth's best and is nowhere as good as The Secret of NIMH.
Adult Written byFlowerBed May 21, 2014

Parental guidance.

Should be rated PG for some scary moments and brief mild suggestive humor.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011
i love this movie.its amazing.its really interesting!
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009
I like this movie!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2009

So touching!!!

This movie was amazing! But it can be depressing for younger kids.