All member reviews for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera

Slightly stiff but sumptuous and faithful production.

Parent Written byI Tell It Like It Is June 30, 2011

Very good movie. In fact, a great movie.

It isnt a very violent film. We see a man get hanged. Thats about the worst of it. A man gets a bloody arm as the result of a swordfight. D**n is used frequently. A man calls a woman a "delilah" and a "demon". Women dance in suggestive outfits. A woman sings that a girl has slept with a man. A man runs his arms suggestively over a woman, she is wearing a shoulderless dress that at times appears it might slip off. A man and a woman kiss several times, nothing too passionate. Naked statues. Tons and tons of naked statues. Seen throughout the movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byblonde_reb June 25, 2011

Phantom

I'm going to start off by saying, I'm a HUGE musical fan so I might be a little more biased. But this movie is fantastic. Role models- I would have to say Madame Girie and Christine are role models in this movie. Madame Girie saved the Eric (phantom) when he was very young from the gypsies/freak-circus. Although, she had many opportunities to stop him from killing people. Christine is a role model because she did not care about Eric's looks. Violence- The Phantom hangs a man during an opera, there is a sword fight in the grave yard (not too violent), near drowned, and chandelier crashed. Sexuality- not bad at all. Even though the Phantom is obsessed with her, he could have taken advantage of her but he didn't. Such a great movie!
Parent Written byhenry89e March 23, 2014

phantom of the opera

Personally it's a good movie. I first saw it when I was 9 years old and it didn't bother me, but it really depends on your child/children. there are some things that might bother them, like the unmasking, which shows slightly strong language." damn you, you little prying pandora, you lying deliah, curse you". which might not sit well with some children. One thing you deffintly want to think about is "past the point of no return" which has a very sexual and seductive meaning, along with the costumes,&lyrics. Personally you nedd to think about YOUR child, and his mentality, other than the movie itself. The only nudity is when carlottta is singing after think of me and one of the stagehands shows his rear end, there is really no reason to be worried about it.
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

It's almost really, really good.

But then you realize that it was made only for the money. Still, however, when you look past the raspy voices with their underwater quality, all the garish sets, costumes, and delightful melodrama are enough to keep you entertained for the flick's just-over-two-hours length. Advice, though: instead of wasting ten bucks on this, waste sixty on balcony seats for the touring show. It's much, much better.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion February 3, 2009

A Haunting, Lucious, and Beautiful Achievement!

Coming from a long-time PHANTOM fan who has seen the play and listened to the music for SO long, I can say that the movie lived up to my expectations. Gerard Butler fell short of Michael Crawford's performance, but alone, when you're not comparing him to Crawford, he's great. The rest of the actors are spectacular, the visuals blow you out of your seat, and the opulent, breathtaking music has never sounded better. Questionable material: Violence and sex. The Phantom has some anger issues, and he strangles several people onscreen. He is abused as a child, and viewers might be disturbed by his childhood disfigurement and murder. The Phantom's obsession with Christine is very physical, and though nothing is shown, there is some sensuous touching (rubbing of arms and clothed stomachs) and mention of "when we're one". A man briefly moons Carlotta, and you see his bare behind. Language is some "d**ns" and "hells". Great, breathtaking film, though not for all.
Adult Written bylelexy2000 December 20, 2013

The Phantom of the Opera

I Thought it was a really good movie and i thought Emmy Rossum, Gerard Butler, and Patrick Wilson have really amazing voices. This movie is what shot Emmy Rossum to Stardom. Parents have to be careful with the phantoms obession of Christine with watching it with there kids
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygeorges113 September 11, 2009

GREATEST MOVIE EVER.... A MUST WATCH

great music great movie wonderful story... after u watch it u feel ur heart is no longer one piece... the story is about glory beauty of the spirit that is not what the face looks like.... great morale through out the movie... -Violence: A character is killed dramatically Another is wounded A huge fire rises - Drinking: i remember one character drinking from a bottle probably vine - Smoking: one of the mangers of the opera smokes cigar and then gives it to a girl his laughing with to smoke it but the scene is cut before she has it - Sexually: 2 characters are seen in the background hugging and having a long kiss about 5 seconds the scene... characters still fully clothed and even the kiss is not visible seems like a hug One character when an opera singer he doesn't like passes by shows his bare butt.. A character when having his role in the opera touches the back of 2 girls and the crowd laughs and the manager says "this is the kind of thing the public loves" (though they're all fully clothed the first girl less than a second and the second one about 1 or 2 seconds) And as we read in the rating of the site above "Sexual undertones in the Phantom's obsession." the girl says to him that he's now more interested in flesh.. Later there's a kiss between the girl and her lover.. These are not things to worry about... the movie could be watched by an 11 or 12 year old... but in order to be liked and understood the person watching it must be at least 13 14 15... hope i helped u decide if it's appropriate NOT TO MISS GREATEST MOVIE EVER EVER EVER
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byNiki Rae July 10, 2013

:D

this is my favorite musical movie of ALL TIME!!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byxboxgeek April 25, 2011

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IS THERE INSIDE MY MIND! :P

the phantom of the opera is one of the greatest stage shows of all time lasting 24 years in the theatre it is truley andrew loyed webbers phenominon and a favorite of mine so when they made a movie i had high expectations ( as andrew loyed webber was on the set) and all i can say is they reached those expectations :)
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Cool Movie

I love it I watched at school when I was 9 and I have loved it since.Watch it if you are a musican I love it.
Adult Written byToni Purple November 29, 2010

Perfectly fine for almost anyone

The stage musical is amazing, the movie is pretty good. If someone likes musicals they should be allowed to see it, there's nothing terrible here that will horribly scar small children. It's fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight October 26, 2010

Gorgiously done, thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber!

All I can say is.. WOW. This is very, very good, even funny on some parts! I was personally rooting for Eric (the Phantom) but.. oh well. Okay, lets start off. As far as behavior: Christine is pretty.. hipnotic when the phantom sings to her, but she is generally kind and respectful. The Phantom.. well, he can't help it, he wasn't treated faitly, he's obsessive towrd Christine, willing to kill. But like I said he has a back story and you can't help but love him! Violence: actually its not that bad, yes, he kills, but not really gory, there's sword fights (only resulting with a cut at the arm) a hanging death (brief but obvious) some people are killed but not shown on screen, someone is crushed by the chandaler, and the phantom has a thing with like either gagging or hanging his victoms. But you cannot simply dismiss this movie because of something like that, its gorgiously done! Sex: The phantom is pretty lusting, but not to the disrespectful point, two main kissing scenes, neither overdone or very long. Once there was a mooning, disturbing but funny. Drugs/Alcahol: A few drinks, but I hardly noticed it. Not a big deal. Language: "D*mn" and "hell" but not as cursing persay. This was one of the best movies I've ever seen, don't dismiss it! Me and my mother watched it and loved it, and so did my chorus class!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymahfit11 September 20, 2010

AWESOME

this is my all time favorite movie!! go see it with any age kid.. there is a couple seens of brief action violence. for sex there is one guy who moons carlotta( you can see the hairs on his butt) and one or two f**ks and one or two s**ts, and one hell. but still go see it!
Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

A moive to cherish

I have wanted to see phantom of the opera for a long time. It was really decent. There are some iffy parts. The way the Phantom has been treated as a young boy is a little disterbing for me and the way the phantom trys to kill is not my cup of tea. I will say this, in the end it is a great moive after all is said and done.
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymandyzdandy06@h... April 9, 2008

amazing

i've never been to broadway to see the original production. but i thought that the music and actor and actresses were amazing!
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2014

The Phantom of the Opera

Suspenseful and good
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2013

Phantastic!

I am completely Phantom of the Opera obsessed! I am going to be honest, I believe I first saw the movie when I was around 6. Even when I was 6 I was not disturbed or scared by this movie. For anyone younger than 9 it may be iffy but know your kid. There are only about two scenes that are a bit violent. In the cemetery Raoul and the Phantom sword fight and Raoul get his arm slit and there is a little blood around his shirt. During the play in the opera the Phantom does hang a man from the catwalk above the stage. That part is fairly violent and I could easily see a younger child being scared of this. There is no sex. Christine does kiss Raoul and kisses the Phantom at the ending! There is a lot of cleavage, especially at the Masquerade when the women wear dress with tight corsets. That might be awkward with a boy but for girls it is no biggie. Overall it is a great movie! Hope you enjoy it if you haven't already :)
Parent Written byflipflops2012 January 30, 2012

Amazing movie!

Personally, I am not a big fan of musicals but I really enjoyed this one. The story line is excellent, but in my opinion the actors are what really made the movie. The only thing about the movie that some parents might not approve of is the violence. There is quite a bit of violence, but the only really disturbing scene I can think of is the scene that someone is shown hanged but it is a very brief scene.