All member reviews for Antz

Great effects and characters, but surprisingly violent.

Adult Written byJenPete November 30, 2008

COMPLETELY disagree with the 8+ rating - this is a Big Kid movie

We previewed this movie in hopes we could show it to our 6 year old and 8 year old who are entranced by their ant farm these days. SO glad we previewed it. SUre, it's just animated, but it's still graphically violent - screen-for-screen shots of battle scenes depicted in countless rated-R movies. The guts were green instead of red, but does that make this violence ok? There's serious deception, political issues (trying to take over the colony through murder), really bad language (we backed up in SEVERAL places to make sure we were hearing what we THOUGHT we'd heard first time through). Why do movie makers have to ruin films this way? Not only won't I recommend it for children - there's nothing redeeming in this film for any age.
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

funny and highly entertaining film!!

Adult Written byTefimom April 9, 2008

The language in this movie REALLY surprised me

There are a lot of things in this movie that make me shocked that it is a cartoon. The worst is the language. Everything from Dam*, Cra*, He**, I believe they say A** too. It just blew me away. Then the movie itself: Kidnapping, War (ok it's a bug war but the violence is still there), Fighting in general (there are I believe 2 fistfights one where a male ant hits a female ant), Oh yeah and of course the whole main idea of the movie which is the big bad army ant attempting or murder everyone in the entire colony that he doesn't think is WORTHWHILE. It's pretty much a cartoon version of Hitler. I literally threw this movie out. I DO NOT reccomend it to any child under 13.
Parent Written bymamantx August 3, 2013

Terrible language, animation and plot

This is a terrible movie: bad language, bad animation, bad script. I tried to include some of the objectionable language used repeatedly by the main character and CommonSenseMedia said that it could not allow such language in a review. Think about what that means for the language you'll be explaining to your children.
Adult Written byjbarling December 11, 2012

Terrible language

I didn't even let my kids watch this whole thing. My 7-year-old and 5-year-old were watching it, and within a 10-minute period I heard (in the movie) "What the hell was that?" and someone calling another character a "tight-ass." Really?!! I turned it off. Jeez.
Adult Written byturtlenthehare August 26, 2011

Too adult a theme

While sitting in a bar drinking "aphid beer" two characters complain about their lot in life. One of them actually says, "Whatcha bitchin' about?" My kids are 4 and 6 and this movie is completely inappropriate for them!
Educator and Parent Written byJennK99 March 31, 2013

A BIG disappointment

Personally I think this film along with other DreamWorks films are more for adults than children. There are several innuendos within the first 30 minutes of the film, one scene they are at a bar, another one of the captains says G-d. I was totally disappointed with this film.
Adult Written byDisneyAddict November 14, 2011

Language was a turnoff, and completely avoidable.

You really have to know your child. I caught a few language items, "Bitchin" being one of them. Basically, if I don't want kids to say it, I either tell them that "that was inappropriate" or don't watch it, with the latter being the more popular choice. This movie could have some issues with sexual stuff with, "erotic fantasies" being a phrase used by the title character, plus cheesy pick up lines. Also, I heard the title character say, "Something about drinking from other insects anuses doesn't appeal to me", which is not cool for a kids movie. If you have a problem with drinking, the characters are shown in a bar setting where they drink aphid beer. Also be aware that there is a scene with gore (it's green, more jsut green fluid) being spewed everywhere from a termite, and a talking head (a friend gets decapitated). Really know your child. I think this movie can be watched by younger kids, just don't be surprised if they start talking about "bitchin" or something like that!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTsunami Tommy July 27, 2010

I think all you parents are being a little too sensitive. Hell, is not a bad word. I'm sorry, but it isn't. Your kiddies hear it every Sunday, and I bet when they are at school, they are saying it as well. Language these days isn't as "adult" as it used to be. This is a good movie, yes it does have pretty intense fighting scenes, but nothing they haven't seen before in their lives. So, don't be so picky parents, it's not inappropriate movie by any means, and I think liberal parents will love the government messages it has under the kiddy stuff.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjenjergrl January 16, 2010

Good for older kids, not for elementary school aged.

I've seen this movie alone and with my kids several times, ages 8 and 5. The last time we watched it I caught several bad words and a couple of innuendos. I've decided to shelve it until they are older. My oldest realized the language and gave us the "did you hear that" look.
Kid, 12 years old January 20, 2012

Ok

The Bad Words In The Movie Like H*** Tight A** B****** C*** D*** And Oh My G** In One Sence At The Bar The Guy Ask Z Do You Want A Beer And It's Not Good For Kids
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byajladd November 2, 2013

Messages not worth the language

In a world where kids equal animation with kid-friendly fare, this is the opposite. My daughter (9) and I watched this together and were shocked and disappointed in the amount of language in this movie . My daughter was actually angry at the amount of inappropriate language. There may be a positive message of working together, thinking of the greater good, asserting yourself, etc. but not enough to sit through all of that. If you want an incredibly well-written, kid-friendly, inspiring, and hilarious movie with A LOT of positive life lessons, watch Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Good clean fun with no language at all.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bycmcculloh August 14, 2013

Language! Violence!

Language makes me think it is definitely not for younger kids. One character says "bitching" at one point, which was surprising and disappointing considering that wasn't mentioned here. Also, sort of dry and boring for younger kids and wouldn't surprise me if older kids found it boring as well. Want a movie for kids about insects? Try "A Bugs Life".

good movie

a good movie have a few miled words and some vilence (burning ants with a magnifing glass)
Adult Written byAbenson January 6, 2014

Know your child

I must have seen this movie for the first time when I was about 7 years old and I can honestly say I never had a problem with this movie because as a child (and other kids too), I was innocent, therefore I never caught any of the adult themes in the movie. I understood that they were going to war and the General was the bad guy but the idea of political corruption is something children (even older kids) will most likely not understand. At the time, I could not understand the idea of feeling insignificant amongst a group of my peers either so in my eyes then this was simply a movie about two ants looking for Insectopia after getting LOST (not chased out) from their colony. I will admit to being a little scared during the war scene but like everything else I ever did or saw or "loved" as a kid, I forgot about 10 minutes later. I don't have kids of my own and I know that many children are extremely impressionable and that's why I do think parents should know their kids but overall if your child sees things he or she doesn't understand or isn't old enough to fully comprehend, wouldn't you rather be the person explaining to them what's going on?
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylizerbee August 11, 2013

Stick to A Bug's Life

wow. I get it's woody allen, but the language is crazy! lots of swearing. Stick to A Bug's Life. My husband loved the overt tones of communism (ha!)
Teen, 14 years old Written byRockah12 June 8, 2012

Over-the-top cursing and violence for a PG.

A fantastically made film, but it contains high levels of cursing and violence. Some sexual themes including a implied rape. Not really appropriate for any kids under ten, and still kinda overboard for any age higher than that. In my opinion, it should have been PG-13.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysb1254 May 4, 2011

Not for young kids, buy maybe tweens.

While the site might say okay for 7+ Id say it's much higher. From what I remember, the violence was problematic and the langauge was pretty bad for a kids flick.