All member reviews for Antz

Great effects and characters, but surprisingly violent.

funny and highly entertaining film!!

Adult Written byJenPete November 30, 2008

COMPLETELY disagree with the 8+ rating - this is a Big Kid movie

We previewed this movie in hopes we could show it to our 6 year old and 8 year old who are entranced by their ant farm these days. SO glad we previewed it. SUre, it's just animated, but it's still graphically violent - screen-for-screen shots of battle scenes depicted in countless rated-R movies. The guts were green instead of red, but does that make this violence ok? There's serious deception, political issues (trying to take over the colony through murder), really bad language (we backed up in SEVERAL places to make sure we were hearing what we THOUGHT we'd heard first time through). Why do movie makers have to ruin films this way? Not only won't I recommend it for children - there's nothing redeeming in this film for any age.
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

good movie

a good movie have a few miled words and some vilence (burning ants with a magnifing glass)
Teen, 16 years old Written bysb1254 May 4, 2011

Not for young kids, buy maybe tweens.

While the site might say okay for 7+ Id say it's much higher. From what I remember, the violence was problematic and the langauge was pretty bad for a kids flick.
Adult Written byTefimom April 9, 2008

The language in this movie REALLY surprised me

There are a lot of things in this movie that make me shocked that it is a cartoon. The worst is the language. Everything from Dam*, Cra*, He**, I believe they say A** too. It just blew me away. Then the movie itself: Kidnapping, War (ok it's a bug war but the violence is still there), Fighting in general (there are I believe 2 fistfights one where a male ant hits a female ant), Oh yeah and of course the whole main idea of the movie which is the big bad army ant attempting or murder everyone in the entire colony that he doesn't think is WORTHWHILE. It's pretty much a cartoon version of Hitler. I literally threw this movie out. I DO NOT reccomend it to any child under 13.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjenjergrl January 16, 2010

Good for older kids, not for elementary school aged.

I've seen this movie alone and with my kids several times, ages 8 and 5. The last time we watched it I caught several bad words and a couple of innuendos. I've decided to shelve it until they are older. My oldest realized the language and gave us the "did you hear that" look.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTsunami Tommy July 27, 2010

I think all you parents are being a little too sensitive. Hell, is not a bad word. I'm sorry, but it isn't. Your kiddies hear it every Sunday, and I bet when they are at school, they are saying it as well. Language these days isn't as "adult" as it used to be. This is a good movie, yes it does have pretty intense fighting scenes, but nothing they haven't seen before in their lives. So, don't be so picky parents, it's not inappropriate movie by any means, and I think liberal parents will love the government messages it has under the kiddy stuff.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 21, 2010

antz is good for younger kids the only problem is that it has cartoon violence.

Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 10, 2010

For older kids

I disagree with the 7+ rating the site has. This movie is very violent for a PG movie including warfare and bloodless insect carnage such as a living decapitated head. The language was also strong for a PG movie including several "hell"'s "d*mn"'s and "crap"'s. Also one "b*tch". There is drinking and bar scenes and one character appears drunk.
Adult Written byturtlenthehare August 26, 2011

Too adult a theme

While sitting in a bar drinking "aphid beer" two characters complain about their lot in life. One of them actually says, "Whatcha bitchin' about?" My kids are 4 and 6 and this movie is completely inappropriate for them!
Kid, 12 years old October 2, 2009

Don't know what they mean by no sexy stuff, there are quite a few scenes of flirting in this poor quality animation. Only really starts to get going when they get outside into the human world, and even then it's dreary. Not to mention the freaky termite battle.
Adult Written byDisneyAddict November 14, 2011

Language was a turnoff, and completely avoidable.

You really have to know your child. I caught a few language items, "Bitchin" being one of them. Basically, if I don't want kids to say it, I either tell them that "that was inappropriate" or don't watch it, with the latter being the more popular choice. This movie could have some issues with sexual stuff with, "erotic fantasies" being a phrase used by the title character, plus cheesy pick up lines. Also, I heard the title character say, "Something about drinking from other insects anuses doesn't appeal to me", which is not cool for a kids movie. If you have a problem with drinking, the characters are shown in a bar setting where they drink aphid beer. Also be aware that there is a scene with gore (it's green, more jsut green fluid) being spewed everywhere from a termite, and a talking head (a friend gets decapitated). Really know your child. I think this movie can be watched by younger kids, just don't be surprised if they start talking about "bitchin" or something like that!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 23, 2009

This movie introduced me to the

"h-e-double hockey sticks word." I hadn't heard this word up until "Antz," and I think I said it in a drive-thru w/ my uncle and he got very mad. Warn your kids about this movie, it may look innocent, but it's more of a hardcore "A Bug's Life."
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

drama

boring
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2010

for teens and parents

their are some parts in where giant humans try to kill z and the princess like a giant woman tries to step on them and a giant 7 year old boy(who appears in the begginging titles) tries to magnifying glass them or burn them and some political themes or drinking in the bar themes
Teen, 16 years old Written byMus November 19, 2011

ANTZ ###### BY SIM o_o

this is an AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 20, 2012

Ok

The Bad Words In The Movie Like H*** Tight A** B****** C*** D*** And Oh My G** In One Sence At The Bar The Guy Ask Z Do You Want A Beer And It's Not Good For Kids
Parent Written bymamantx August 3, 2013

Terrible language, animation and plot

This is a terrible movie: bad language, bad animation, bad script. I tried to include some of the objectionable language used repeatedly by the main character and CommonSenseMedia said that it could not allow such language in a review. Think about what that means for the language you'll be explaining to your children.