All member reviews for Apollo 13

Thrilling, heartwarming, scary, and superb.

Teen, 17 years old Written byKoOkYMoNsTa234 April 9, 2008

APOLLO13

My friends and I recently viewed APOLLO13 in school and there was al ot of "blushing". There were numerous sexual double entendres/references with Kevin Bacon stating to a woman (with a beer bottle and round glass) "This is you, this is me. We thrust my baby (his penis) in and it zooms out (getting erect). Then there is the penetration. Everything's clickin', and the buttons are pushin'", and there is an implied sex scene with the camera panning away as things get raunchy. That suprised me in a PG rated film.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Intense Movie for Kids

Hero movies are great for kids
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjcpilot February 12, 2010
A great movie giving historical fact and showing kids to never give up. There are some curse words (S and A words) during some stressed moments in the movie. If you have mature children and have discussed these words, I think the great message of the movie outweighs the bad words.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byrick1969 December 15, 2010

Great story but watch out for the language.

Love the movie. Great story. Commonsense missed it on the review though. More than just a few mild expletives. Lots of GD and s#$%. I wish commonsense would be a little more accurate. I relied on their review and needed to stop it since my son can't use that language. Exposure to a little is OK but there is a lot in this movie.
Parent Written byLSmith56 February 8, 2012

Taking the Lord 's Name in Vain .

This movie has foul language and 7 uses of G**dammit . This is unacceptable !! God's third commandment says not to take His name in vain . What are we teaching our children ? The kids deserve better from us ! God bless and keep you , L. Smith
Parent of a 3, 9, and 11 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki September 20, 2011

GOOD MOVIE

I showed this to my ten year old and he said that he liked it a lot more than Apollo 18 hhich also freaked him out a bit. They use the words sh¡t and a$$ in this movie. If your child is immature or still very young, stay away from this movie. Thank you for your time :).
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2010

Ok, for almost everyone

Great movie, powerful! It might be a little scary to kids 8 and under, but besides that it's fine! (watch it at night, then your younger kids will fall asleep during the sad part, which is later in the movie)
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Amazing, Heartfelt Film About Courage and Responsibility...A must-see!

APOLLO 13 is a great film. No two ways about it. The film tells the story of Jim Lovett, an astronaut who loves his family and dreams of going into space again. He's paired with three other men as they unexpectantly are called upon to go to the moon. But their craft, Apollo 13, malfunctions, and oxygen is running out. Now the workers at NASA have to struggle to get them home while their families watch, praying for thier loved ones to return. Like OCTOBER SKY and BACK TO THE FUTURE, the film is heavy on the swearing, with "d**n", "a*s", and "sh*t" used a lot. There is really no sex and no violence, but many scenes are very tense. Overall, a great family must-see. CommonSense made a small blunder though, saying that the film is rated PG-13. For those who are wondering, it's only PG and is great for ages 11 and up. Highly reccommended.
Parent Written byNikeswoosh99 November 27, 2012

A classic and one of my favorites

This a great movie and an american story, and every child should be encouraged to watch it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJoe Blow November 22, 2011

Apollo 13 Review

A great movie. 13 "s" words, 7 uses of G-d-mn, 15 "d-mns" and 10 "hells". After all, it was a great movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjackamers8 April 18, 2009
I have watched this movie probably around 5-7 times, and it never gets old. The scenes and acting keep you glued to your seat, wanting to see more. It's filled with a ton of "How are they gonna get outta that one?!" moments (like when the crew is running into a carbon dioxide problem) and other scenes (like when they have to power the entire spacecraft with just the power used to run a coffee pot) that keep you wondering how they will solve the problems to bring the crew home. Although there are a couple sexual scenes (one showing a man and a woman in a shower together, nothing is seen though, and another part in the opening scenes when a man talking to a woman shows what happens when a spacecraft docks with the LEM, representing her as the glass and him as the beer bottle head entering the glass) its not that bad. And "the clap" part that they bring up in the "Sex" part of the Common Sense review I didn't even catch when I first watched the movie, and when I did catch it later on, I still didn't even know what "the clap" was. As for the drinking and drugs part, it's barely noticeable. There is a fair amount of smoking, mainly in parts of immense stress or celebration (like when they finally land the crew safely), but I wouldn't call it excessive. Drinking is even less noticeable, maybe one scene in the beginning. There is quite a bit of language, but in reality, all the language said is from the actual speech said between ground control and the spacecraft, and it actually adds to the film as it further builds up the tension and stress of the situation. The only thing I must say is that you do have to understand what is going on and be somewhat familiar with the space program to fully understand and enjoy the movie. If you have a kid and they aren't that familiar with anything space related, be prepared to pause the movie a few times to explain the setting, time period, and basically what's going on. The first time I viewed it when I was about 9 or 10 I thought it didn't make sense and didn't catch everything, but I still thought it was intriguing knowing just how close to death the main characters are. But I now understand every part very well, and every time I watch it again I learn something new.

a sad but good story about astronauts

well its agreat movie i liked but u have to follow really good or u will lose it
Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

My favorite movie ever!

I saw this for the first time when I was six, but I had a serious space obsession going at the time. By this point, I can say a lot of the dialogue along with the characters. It's an amazing story; if it was real, the happy ending would be cheap. The astronauts, families, and mission control people are good role models, and they all worked so hard to bring the three men home. The music is also really good. There is some sex (took me awhile to understand that) and language (but it's understandable, considering the situation). Overall, really, really good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoey123 January 19, 2009

A wonderful masterpiece...

This movie will keep your eyes glued to the screen the entire length of the film. Not for very young children though. There are a few sexual scenes and a pretty good amount of language. about a doxen uses of sh-t in various forms, p-ss,etc. no f-words though. Geat movie overall though.

Extremely boring

This is so boring, and scary that I left the room. Bad movie.
Written byAnonymous October 4, 2014

Apollo 13

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: Jack demonstrates the docking procedure of the spacecraft to a woman stating that he's the beer bottle and she's the glass as he inserts the bottle into the glass: "The thing that sticks out is called the probe...When you feel that thing slide in, and everything's clicking, it's like no other feeling in the world." Jack comes out of the shower and we see that there's a woman still in there. No nudity or activity, though, is seen. After Fred states that it hurts to urinate he says, "I think ol' Swaggert gave me the clap pissing in my relief tube." 3/10. ========================================================= Violence: There is a scene where a group of astronauts are blown into space. In the opening prologue there is a scene of the Apollo 1 fire and we briefly see the astronauts in the fire. 3.5/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: Fred throws up right after they make it into orbit. Some liquids and a few chunks of semi-digested food float about the cabin. 4/10. ========================================================= Profanity: There's 2 possible "f" words, along with at least 15 "s" words, 12 damns, 10 hells, 3 asses, 1 crap, and 7 uses of "G-damn," 4 uses each of "Jesus," 3 of "Christ" and "Oh my God," 2 uses of "God" and "Oh God," and 1 use each of "Jesus Christ" and "Swear to God" as exclamations. 5.5/10. ========================================================= Alcohol/Drugs: People drink champagne at the moon walk party and later Marilyn asks Jim if he's drunk. He says he is and that he's not used to the champagne. She also appears to be somewhat inebriated. Many empty beer cans are seen around Ken as he watches TV. 4/10. ========================================================= Smoking: Jim and few other people have cigars at the moon walk party, but none are seen smoking them. Gene smokes quite a bit as things get tense. Many people smoke in the background of several scenes, especially in the control room. The Mission Control staff celebrates with cigars. 5/10. ========================================================= Apollo 13 is one of my favourite movies of all-time, and is definitely worth watching. I give it 9/10. =========================================================
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 6, 2011

Absolutely incredible, but far too much for a modern PG rating.

My rating: PG-13 for tense sequences of peril, some intense images and brief language.
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2011

Great for ages 10 and up

I saw this movie in my class because we were learning about space travel in science and I really love it! Just want you to know that it is not for little kids. there is plenty of smoking, some swearing such as the s-word and bulls--t is used, some kissing and little kids may be afraid of when the engine blows up or when they do not know how to get home because they might be afraid if the astronauts die but they survive.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 January 27, 2011

Great for tweens

This movie does have some mild language such as "sh_t" and "god da_n".. You can also see people smoking cigarettes, pipes and cigars. However, I feel this movie was educational toward space and astronauts then it was about swearing and smoking.
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2010

Good movie

It was ok. but just cuz i say its ok doesnt mean u wont love it. i no alot of people who think its great!!!!! theres alot of use of the word sh*t (i mean alot) & the couple get out of the shower together, nothing is shown, they are in towels. this movie is based on a true story.