Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Aquaman

Underwater origin story has lots of comic book action.

Adult Written byWhat are we tea... February 15, 2019

What are we teaching our kids?

If you want to teach your children that men are in charge, young women must be sexy, mothers can't be sexy, and black people are the bad guys, go see this movie. I'm really getting sick of movies where the women are dressed like sex objects, and begging the man to save them, while the men (except Aquaman of course) are wearing full body armour, as you would if you were going into battle. There were some great scenes, but the overall message was a continuation of the misogyny rampant in our culture. I was happy to see the first female character was not shown with her chest bursting out of her costume, until I saw the young female's costume. Yuck. Wouldn't recommend it, unless you're going to discuss these issue with your kids. Only redeeming feature, the portrayal of what happens when one powerful person is in charge, and sends a bunch of innocent people into war for his own gratification.
Parent Written byCriticus February 23, 2019

Aquaman Goes Off Swimmingly!

I'm not here to preach the tremendous virtues of Aquaman's story, characters and message - by reason that the story and characters are entirely simple, non-developed and predictable, and the meaning non-existent. I'm here to tell you how FUN and COOL this movie is. As Aquaman says (to great effect) at a climactic moment: "I'm bringing the wrath of the Seven Seas with me". That's the flick in a nutshell. No-one's going to ball their eyes out (I'd like to hear if I'm proved wrong on the point, though!) or change their minds about any serious topics on this film's count. It's about good solid action, and having the time of your life watching it! Aquaman deliberately embraces a kind of cliché - a reinvention of the classic 90's action tough-man genre - and adds drum-beating octopus and a talking crab king. It feels like a self-conscious parody of what's come before it in all the best ways, and although it can't be taken too seriously, this goofy fantasy wins it a crown (or trident?) of gold in the long run. The action sequences feel perhaps more akin to Marvel's action than DC has ever felt before - yet different. James Wan's talent comes across in the kinetic, dynamic flow of choreography and visuals constantly on display, and in the design of the novel Trench monsters. I can understand now the appeal of seeing Aquaman in cinemas (especially IMAX), as it's truely a spectacle to behold, and has all the makings of a true popcorn movie. As reported unhappily by other CSM reviewers, the costumes on display tend to objectify the women, hugging the skin and exposing cleavage. There are a couple of kisses, one quite long, with characters half-hugging each other. And of course, Jason Momoa himself often goes shirtless. There's definitely violence, though mostly of a relatively mild nature. The movie presents some problems for families, as the language adds some maturity; unfortunately it didn't have the good taste to avoid "sh**", "d*ck", "ass", and "hell". The word "bast**d" is often used in relation to Arthur's parentage.

Adult Written byGeeEchoes February 13, 2019

Mixed timeline in Aquaman

In Aquaman they said Arthur hadn't been to Atlantis and they mentioned him defeating Stephen Wolf from Justice League. But when Stephen Wolf attacked Atlantis in Justice league, Aquaman swam all the way down to Atlantis to fight Stephen Wolf. How did he know Atlantis then, when he didn't know Atlantis in the Aquaman movie.
Adult Written byJthompson222 February 10, 2019

Violent with foul language.

Parent of a 5, 5, 5, 9, and 11 year old Written byLushdreamer February 10, 2019

You have to

It was awesome had quite a bit of violence but that made it exiting you never knew when someone was going to attack.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bySawryk February 4, 2019
Adult Written byJoe77 February 1, 2019

Bad language

There is a huge and diverse amount of bad language in this. Not for kids under 13.

Adult Written byJohn L. January 29, 2019

DC's BIG FISH

This is a fun watch really was surprised by the action but the emotional stuff was not up to par. With already a billion dollars in the bank I think this character will get more sequels and I would be happy with that. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Adult Written byAPIS YK January 26, 2019

A true response for auqaman

Today I am going to review the movie Aquaman, this movie was created by DC Extended Universe and released on December 7, 2018. When the movie came out there were millions of people buying tickets to watch this movie. The movie attracted people’s attention from its setting, which is the ocean. The movie starts with showing a scene of a fish king being mad at humans because they treated the ocean like nothing. But he cannot kill all the humans himself, so he had to get some help by convincing other fish kingdoms. And meanwhile, there is a half fish and half human man, who starts to fight back to save humans from death. The movie was very interesting because of its setting like I mentioned earlier, it was set underwater. This was interesting because most of the superhero movies are based on land and space not underwater. While watching the movie, the only word that came out of my mouth was ‘Wow!’ For example at the final fighting scene contained a lot of showy things, such as explosions, water volcano, and etc... But at the same time, the movie was kind of lame-- the setting, background, action scene, and characters were perfect but the story was too obvious. So Marvel Studio used to made movies by a superhero having a normal life and suddenly becomes a hero and safes the earth, this movie was in the same direction but in a different way. So when I was watching the movie I just noticed what will happen. So if I am going to rate this movie I would give it a 3.5/5.
Adult Written bySomeSJW January 25, 2019

Shows how water if vital for life.

My child always complains at restaurants that he wants a soda but I get him water instead. I took him to see this movie, and now he understands how important water is for your body. Now he is a water enthusiast.

Adult Written by[email protected] January 11, 2019

Um...it was ok...I guess

I never thought Aquaman was 'movie-worthy'.....and I was right....I just went to see Jason...outside of that, too many dumb fighting scenes and I really didn't care for the language...like I said, I just went to see Jason...